• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Please help with 'casually elegant' dress code

zillow

Mouseketeer
Someone used that term to me when describing dress code at Citricos. Anyone know what that really means?

Thanks!

They say the same thing about Yachtsman, where I usually just wear jeans and a nicer top, with flats. And I don't feel under dressed. I think they are worried about those who may want to come to the restaurant straight from the pool without changing first:(
If they don't say something like "casually elegant" there's no telling what someone might wear (I saw a woman in her bathing suit at Alfredo's).

I wore capri pants and a nice top to some of the nicer resaurants that I was in and that worked just fine.

Melissa

Basically all it means is don't come in with shorts, tank-tops, or clothes with holes in them. Park attire is fine as long as it's not shorts, tank tops, or holey. And of course you need shoes. :) Though when we ate there, we saw several tables with people in shorts.

Shorts are what we always wear to Citrico's--and restaurants like Citrico's. Basically, "caually elegant", "resort casual", "business casual" etc etc means no tank tops for men and no bathing suits.
So if you want to dress up a bit then by all means do so--lots of folks do. But if you don't want to dress up all that much--then don't!! It really won't matter.

I have to disagree. Casually elegant is certainly a far cry from shorts and t shirts, regardless of how "nice" they are.

Casually elegant is even a step above "resort casual" or "business casual" or "smart casual".

Casually elegant would mean a jacket and slacks with open collared shirt for gentlemen, and a dress or smart pants outfit for ladies.

Resort/smart/business casual would be clacks or chino's and a golf/polo type shirt for gentlemen and a casual dress or slacks/skirt and blouse for ladies.

We are "busines casual" at work in the summer, and if you showed up in shiots and a t-shirt you'd be sent home so fast the door wouldn't have a chance to hit you on the way out!.

Just because one is on vacation, it doesn't mean that good taste and manners go out the window. I wouldn't wear shorts or a t-shirt to eat at a four star restaurant at home, so why would I while on vacation?

Anne

Originally posted by Uncleromulus
Shorts are what we always wear to Citrico's--and restaurants like Citrico's. Basically, "caually elegant", "resort casual", "business casual" etc etc means no tank tops for men and no bathing suits.
So if you want to dress up a bit then by all means do so--lots of folks do. But if you don't want to dress up all that much--then don't!! It really won't matter.
[/QUOTE

Exactly what you will find in almost every restaurant on property. Some people dress up some don't, but no tanks and swimsuits.

Originally posted by LvsTnk
Exactly what you will find in almost every restaurant on property. Some people dress up some don't, but no tanks and swimsuits.

But why would you wear the same outfit to an elegant restaurant like Citrico's that you'd wear to Beaches and Cream?

Anne

Anne,

I did not say what I would do, just that is how the OP would find people dressed. It is up to the OP to then decide what they would like to wear.

Using your desciption of "casually elegant" I would then have to say that I have rarely seen people dressed like that at such restaurants. Even at Shula's during the holiday season several people had shorts and T-shirts on.

My family usually likes to dress a little nicer for dinner unless it is a last minute thing and what we are wearing is always fine on those occasions.

I have specifically asked about this a couple of times, and the only *Disney* restaurant that has an exception is Victoria and Alberts. All the rest said that what I listed above is what they expect and that while they prefer people not wear shorts, they don't turn you away in shorts either. I've always worn jeans and a t-shirt and never felt out of place. I *would* feel out of place at Victoria and Albert's, though.

I made a PS for Yachtman's Steakhouse about a month ago. The cm said the dress code was no beachwear or tank tops. I asked if shorts were ok (since it will be Oct 3 and probably hot) he said yes, as long as they aren't beachwear.

Originally posted by zillow
Someone used that term to me when describing dress code at Citricos. Anyone know what that really means?

Thanks!

Zillow, was the someone from Disney dining? If so, that's the first I've heard of a description like that for Citrico's.

If it was someone on a discussion board then I think they were probably describing what they saw on a particular evening or more likely how they would like people to dress.

We've dined there a number of times and have seen a wide range of attire but with the exception of Christmas Eve dinner few diners would fit what I would think of as casually elegant. Dress up if you like or wear park attire. To me good manners include not judging others.

Originally posted by BCV23
Zillow, was the someone from Disney dining? If so, that's the first I've heard of a description like that for Citrico's.

That was the dress code we had at Citricos for dinner 2 years ago. :)

Originally posted by Rajah
That was the dress code we had at Citricos for dinner 2 years ago. :)

Who used that term with you if I may ask? I'm not trying to be confrontational at all...just curious. I remember Anne was told by someone in concierge a different term than is normally cited. Was it by a wedding planner? Anyway we've usually heard resort casual or no swimwear or tanktops or once resort "smart"...as opposed to resort dumb I guess. But if you usually wear jeans is that what is considered casually elegant in your area. Truly I'm not trying to be flip. I find it very interesting to hear different folks point of view on dress. We're in suburban Chicago and I think dress here is perhaps more conservative but less dressy than the East coast but lots dressier than the left coast, etc.. One of the fun parts of WDW is seeing our differences.

BCV23, the person who used the term was actually a friend who knows that I go to Disney World often. To get to the heart of the matter, I'm attending a wedding in Sept. and the dress code is casually elegant - asking around what that meant my friend stated what I posted above and never having dined at Citricos, I wasn't sure what that entailed. She seemed to think that the dress code at Citricos was not the same as at other Disney restaurants. I'm really at a loss :(. I was interested to see Ducklites interpretation especially since this wedding is in NJ. I too was under the impression that all WDW restaurants (save V&A) had a casual dress code.
Thanks everyone for the help!

To me casual elegance is similar to what we call church clothes- a nice pants suit or dress for ladies, chinos and sportcoat or collared shirt for men. For a wedding I think that would be fine, as long as they are not specifying dressy or black tie.

Originally posted by BCV23
Who used that term with you if I may ask? I'm not trying to be confrontational at all...just curious.

The CM used the term when I made the ressies, but now you've got me questioning my memory and wondering if I'm remembering the right term! LOL!

Zillow:
Don't confuse dress "code" with dress "preference"..or what a particular restaurant might like you to wear. You are on vacation at WDW. Nice shorts and a T are perfectly acceptable. You will not be turned away. There won't be a dress code committee at the door looking you over. There will be many others dressed in a similar fashion. Believe me, at Citrico's they'll probably be glad to see you!!!
Trust me--there is NO code other than no tank tops for men and no swim suits. And that tank top thing is often waived--.
Be neat and "kempt"--certainly. But don't get forced into dressing up if that's not your thing.
Quick story--once was going to try a place called Libertores-upscale Italian in Timonium Md. Mrs. U' boss at work frequently ate there, so we asked him about dress, he said "OH--you'll want to wear a jacket at Libertores".
Well-no, I didn;t, but since he was sort of an expert on the place, I wore a jacket. But guess who was the ONLY person with a jacket that night?? You guessd it-me. There were folks in shorts, jogging outfits, women in pedal pushers, some men in slacks and collared shirts.
Moral--when you dine at Citrico's dress how you want to dress--not how you feel you must dress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter