***please help****

Feiss

Earning My Ears
My daughter is a CP in recreation. Yesterday morning she had an unknown seizure and was admitted to the hospital over night for testing. Thank gosh, everything is ok and she has been cleared to work. She missed work yesterday and today due to being admitted.
Is it true that she will receive points for being admitted to the hospital? I really thought a company such a Disney would not only excuse her but maybe even pay her for the two days. She has all of the paperwork from the hospital to prove her case.
Is this true that she will be reprimanded and receive points? Someone please explain how this works if possible.

My daughter is a CP in recreation. Yesterday morning she had an unknown seizure and was admitted to the hospital over night for testing. Thank gosh, everything is ok and she has been cleared to work. She missed work yesterday and today due to being admitted.
Is it true that she will receive points for being admitted to the hospital? I really thought a company such a Disney would not only excuse her but maybe even pay her for the two days. She has all of the paperwork from the hospital to prove her case.
Is this true that she will be reprimanded and receive points? Someone please explain how this works if possible.

Yes it is true! My daughter just finished the college program in January. She got really sick in October with the flu. She could barely get out of bed, fever, strep throat, no voice. She practically crawled to a walk in clinic. She missed 2 or 3 days of work. She went back to work with a doctor's note and yes she did receive points. On Thanksgiving Day on the way into work....my daughter was in a car accident. It wasn't even her fault....stupid tourist ran into the side of her. This made her late to work, luckily only 15 minutes, but she still received points against her. She even showed her manager the police report, this did not matter. My daughter was reminded of the "rules" of missing work. It seems like Disney is more strict with the college program students. It really depends on your daughter's managers. She can try to talk to them. My daughter did this and some of her points were wiped away. She has gone to work a few times sick and the managers would tell her that she looks horrible and why did she come into work and she told them she didn't want points against her. Sometimes she had to stick it out and other times, she was sent home! My daughter seem to get sick a lot, probably from working a lot of hard, long hours and at times, in the hot sun! I guess it all just caught up to her. Now...she is a seasonal cast member with Disney. Good Luck! ;)

I cannot see how it is even legal when the have a doctors note or hospital papers! I am shocked that a company like Disney would handle things this way! She has already extended her stay and wants to look for permanent employment there but I have been very disappointed in how they treat these CPs. In her field, she doesn't get that many hours and her hourly pay is minimal. After rent she has been averaging $75-$100. a week pay check which has to cover food, gas, toiletries, etc. She is almost living at poverty level but just loves her job and everything Disney! I guess she has to if she excepts being treated this way!

I cannot see how it is even legal when the have a doctors note or hospital papers! I am shocked that a company like Disney would handle things this way! She has already extended her stay and wants to look for permanent employment there but I have been very disappointed in how they treat these CPs. In her field, she doesn't get that many hours and her hourly pay is minimal. After rent she has been averaging $75-$100. a week pay check which has to cover food, gas, toiletries, etc. She is almost living at poverty level but just loves her job and everything Disney! I guess she has to if she excepts being treated this way!

Due to your D being on the DCP, an internship, she does not accrue sick or vacation time as DCP is a form of "seasonal" employment. As such, if your D is not able to come to work, regardless of reason (even for bereavement), she will be given a point for attendance. And after three consecutive days of calling in, you are automatically terminated. She signed documents at the beginning of her program stating she understood these things as well. Disney is only required to pay if you suffer a work related injury.

Legally, Disney is not responsible for your D's medical condition and only has to make "reasonable accommodation" if it affects her ability to perform her job. Seasonal employees and interns are at the bottom of the totem pole, always have, always will be.

Regarding pay and hours. All participants know their role, pay rate, and minimum weekly hours before accepting. Everyone who is on the DCP knows these these things before ever showing up to work. It is tough doing the DCP if you have other expenses (car, insurance, etc.). But nobody if forcing anybody to do the DCP. I did the DCP in May 2010, I was a Vacation Planner making $7.25/hour with a car payment, car insurance, and no parental assistance. It was tough, I picked up overtime where I could and didn't spend more than I made. However, I got by. Most people on the DCP are those who do not have have any monthly financial responsibilities and do not bring a car (using the FREE, though not the best, transportation). $100/week for food and personal expenses isn't that bad for someone in their early 20's. You just have to be smart with your money.

Due to your D being on the DCP, an internship, she does not accrue sick or vacation time as DCP is a form of "seasonal" employment. As such, if your D is not able to come to work, regardless of reason (even for bereavement), she will be given a point for attendance. And after three consecutive days of calling in, you are automatically terminated. She signed documents at the beginning of her program stating she understood these things as well. Disney is only required to pay if you suffer a work related injury.

This is not true. Yes, CPs don't get vacation time. However, the CP isn't considered "seasonal". And even if they were, you aren't termed after 3 days of calling in

This is not true. Yes, CPs don't get vacation time. However, the CP isn't considered "seasonal". And even if they were, you aren't termed after 3 days of calling in

I may have been mistaken about the three call-ins, but if you look in actual personnel records, CP is a subset of seasonal.

Granted, this was 4 years ago when I was involved with that, things can always change.

By law they cannot penalize anyone who has a doctor note...I cant see Disney doing that

That was my daughter's biggest complaint about Disney....she did NOT like the way Disney treated the college program kids. They worked crazy hours, but didn't get paid overtime and no holiday pay including Thanksgiving and Christmas. She started the program having big dreams working for Disney after she graduates from college. Shortly after she started the program, she said she lost all respect for this company. On the way into work one day, she stopped at starbucks. The guy in front of her bought her coffee. He noticed my daughter's name tag and asked her "how she liked the college program" and she told him she did not and proceeded to tell him why. After she was done saying what she had to say, he said, "I am the guest relations manager at Disney, if you can stick it out, work for Disney after graduation, Disney is a GREAT company and they do treat their employees well!" He explained to her that the college kids come to this program, thinking it is play time and do not take their jobs seriously so that is why they are very strict when it come to the college students. After she spoke to the guest relations manager, her whole attitude about Disney changed!!:thumbsup2

CP's do get time and half for working more than 40 hours in a given week. I believe they also get this if they work more than 8 hrs on a given day or if they work a 6th/7th day.

They do not get holiday pay, but neither do seasonal cast members. To the best of my knowledge, holiday pay is only available to fulltime cast.

And I'm pretty sure Disney isn't going to do anything that is against any labor laws. They will certainly play it to their advantage (as any company would), but they are not going to do anything that is illegal.

By law they cannot penalize anyone who has a doctor note...I cant see Disney doing that

That is not even remotely true. An employer can legally fire someone who is not available to work with or without a doctor's note. Considering a sick day a point or occurrence as part of an attendance policy is hardly unique to Disney. OP's daughter is in for a rough time if she thinks she can skip work, get paid, and keep her job indefinitely.

Disney Co is a major worldwide corporation Florida is a " Right to Work state"

That being said NO castmember CP, Seasonal, FT or PT has not been made aware of the point system and how it works/or doesn't. It is all right there in black & white. There are no " special cases " and CPs are not sub-set or singled out. Everyone is the same re-points. If you are old enough to work there ( or anywhere ) than you are old enough to face the cold hard facts of how things are done.

Parents need to let their children be adults. You can't fight their battles any longer. Cast members go to the hub, look under the area to find the employee handbook.

Yeah so when you have that seizure at work or are sick and contagious for heavens sake don't go to the hospital and don't see a doctor or stay in bed...after all you agreed to the points system, your body should know better

Disney Co is a major worldwide corporation Florida is a " Right to Work state"

That being said NO castmember CP, Seasonal, FT or PT has not been made aware of the point system and how it works/or doesn't. It is all right there in black & white. There are no " special cases " and CPs are not sub-set or singled out. Everyone is the same re-points. If you are old enough to work there ( or anywhere ) than you are old enough to face the cold hard facts of how things are done.

Parents need to let their children be adults. You can't fight their battles any longer. Cast members go to the hub, look under the area to find the employee handbook.

Yeah so when you have that seizure at work or are sick and contagious for heavens sake don't go to the hospital and don't see a doctor or stay in bed...after all you agreed to the points system, your body should know better

I just stated the facts.

I'm pretty sure there was some opinion in there...

Ok where ? Not to argue with you but I meant the facts re-how Disney handles attendance and the point system.

Parents need to let adult children deal with their own life ...I guess that is an opinion. As the mother of two daughters that are long past entering college and are contributing members of society I have earned the right to share my opinion.

In the end I was just trying to help with explaining the facts of how it works. No skin off my nose if someone doesn't believe me.

Wow, you should learn to keep your opinion out. If you are really ill then duh, get some help. Just know that if you miss work then you will have to take the consequences, and try to make up for it later. Employers will respect you for that. Like the person said, their manager ended up clearing some of their points, not because they had gotten sick, but because their character later made them an employee worth making sure they held on to. As someone about to start the college program (And have studied it meticulously for five years), they obviously have to have this rule, or else these college kids trying to take advantage of the system would be calling in sick all of the time, and visiting the doctor just to get a note. Trust me, Disney is covering their bases, and while it seems unfair, you're not going to get fired if you are an excellent employee just because you got points while you were sick. You're being responsible if you show up to work with a stuffy nose, because your managers will see that you're committed, so when you do actually get sick and must be out of work, they will know that it is actually bad enough and will be understanding.

I wasn't aware that I had any opinion in my post...just a little sarcasm. If you are in a hospital its pretty obvious you aren't faking :rotfl2:

Wow, you should learn to keep your opinion out. If you are really ill then duh, get some help. Just know that if you miss work then you will have to take the consequences, and try to make up for it later. Employers will respect you for that. Like the person said, their manager ended up clearing some of their points, not because they had gotten sick, but because their character later made them an employee worth making sure they held on to. As someone about to start the college program (And have studied it meticulously for five years), they obviously have to have this rule, or else these college kids trying to take advantage of the system would be calling in sick all of the time, and visiting the doctor just to get a note. Trust me, Disney is covering their bases, and while it seems unfair, you're not going to get fired if you are an excellent employee just because you got points while you were sick. You're being responsible if you show up to work with a stuffy nose, because your managers will see that you're committed, so when you do actually get sick and must be out of work, they will know that it is actually bad enough and will be understanding.

CP's do get time and half for working more than 40 hours in a given week. I believe they also get this if they work more than 8 hrs on a given day or if they work a 6th/7th day.

I am not sure that this is true, the part about working more than 8 hours a day or working a 6th/7th day. That is not Florida law, although I do believe it is California law. In Florida you have to pay 1.5 X base wage for every hour worked over 40 hours in the defined work week.

Curious if anyone who has worked in Florida can confirm if this is the case. Universal has some different views on paying OT, so it is possible that Disney also follows different guidelines.

I will say two things to you : First Congratulations and enjoy your CP time pixiedust:

BUT you are not correct on your assumptions/presumptions no matter how wonderful an employee is you ( anyone ) can/have been fired due to points.
Ask about this at your orientation.

I am not sure that this is true, the part about working more than 8 hours a day or working a 6th/7th day. That is not Florida law, although I do believe it is California law. In Florida you have to pay 1.5 X base wage for every hour worked over 40 hours in the defined work week. Curious if anyone who has worked in Florida can confirm if this is the case. Universal has some different views on paying OT, so it is possible that Disney also follows different guidelines.

It's not a Florida law however it is Company Policy for Florida-Based Cast members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter