Please Pete!

Along those lines, it's amazing they're discontinuing, rather than starting to charge.
@dobball23 Oh - I do agree, but I also wonder if they're not announcing it this way, in this order, to make it feel less "painful" if they DO charge - so - somebody who would be very upset they don't have it any more would then be happy they do have it, and overlook the fact that it's a paid service, if that makes sense? Call me skeptical, but has the feel of a money grab to me - finessed, but still a money grab. I could very well be mistaken, just my thoughts.

@dobball23 Oh - I do agree, but I also wonder if they're not announcing it this way, in this order, to make it feel less "painful" if they DO charge - so - somebody who would be very upset they don't have it any more would then be happy they do have it, and overlook the fact that it's a paid service, if that makes sense? Call me skeptical, but has the feel of a money grab to me - finessed, but still a money grab. I could very well be mistaken, just my thoughts.

I posted this in the dedicated thread about DME going away in the news forum:

There is a full 7 step process that Disney adheres to:

1. Disney removes something previously free
2. People grumble
3. Disney announces a new amazing service that largely just replaces the old free one but sounds newer, fresher, fancier that carries a cost
4. People are excited
5. People realize they are now paying extra for something they were getting for free
6. Disney announces a new cupcake/magic band color/plush collection/etc
7. people forget about why they were mad in the first place

I posted this in the dedicated thread about DME going away in the news forum:

There is a full 7 step process that Disney adheres to:

1. Disney removes something previously free
2. People grumble
3. Disney announces a new amazing service that largely just replaces the old free one but sounds newer, fresher, fancier that carries a cost
4. People are excited
5. People realize they are now paying extra for something they were getting for free
6. Disney announces a new cupcake/magic band color/plush collection/etc
7. people forget about why they were mad in the first place
So - ummmm - I was RIGHT? :bitelip::blush:

ETA - Hope all know the above was said VERY tongue in cheek, and I will NOT break my arm, patting my ownself on the back!! :rotfl2:
And I wonder what a Magical Express cupcake would be filled with - pain and resentment, with undertones of delusion and disappointment? :rotfl2:

Well, they have basically replaced evening extra magic hours with endless festivals at Epcot, and hard ticketed events at MK. They already do chargeable evening EMH at MK for 5 of the 12 months, don’t be surprised to see an increase in other themed parties / hard ticket events from Jan-July now.

As for magical express... I get the attraction to many, but personally was never a fan to begin with, simply due to how long it took. Uber / Lyft would always be my first choice- maybe this will now be the focus of the mini vans once they’re able to run that whole fleet again, if they choose to rather than just scrapping that idea (make it a step in the booking process, and chances are the masses (the millions that visit, not the thousands on here) would add it on.

There will be the train service to disney springs in 2023, there may be plans afoot to simply replace the magical express service with combos of trains / mini vans / skyliners.

they haven’t just woke up one morning and decided to scrap it. We might not like it, but there’s always a reason.

So an army of Minnie Vans driven by Uber/Lyft drivers, taking you directly to your hotel with no intermediate stops? Maybe...

This tells me Disney World is no longer priority #1 for this company. They are trimming the fat because they are now all in on streaming service. I live in Florida so I drive there but ending ME is ridiculous imo. Every time I walk out of my hotel I either see lines getting on one or a bunch getting off. To think that a high speed train will take its place is bunk at this point since the train isn't even 100% official and won't make itself. It's possible people take the train then get on a magical express type bus at the terminal but I'm not buying that one yet. Getting rid of airline check in too. Geez....how about get rid of the CEO instead. This guy is making Disney the second or third best attraction in Orlando quick.

If you want to hurt Disney where it hurts I suggest cancelling your Disney plus subscription. That is priority number one to them and will be Chapek's legacy. This is what he cares about. If you want to cancel him then cancel your sub. What's next, discontinuing table in wonderland card? Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

It makes you wonder what variables have made Magical Express not a money maker now when it was a money maker in 2005 when it started?
I'm not sure DME was a ever a money maker - I would guess the profit margin was nominal. Instead, it was differentiator. It enticed people pay the hefty prices to stay on-site, which is where the profit came in, and it gave them a perk that their competition (Universal) didn't offer. Those things are still true. But in the current environment, I have to think Mears wanted to raise prices to extend their contract (much like every business affected by the pandemic), and Disney is trying to cut costs wherever they can to make up for what they've lost. Couple that with the implementation of the Brightline rail system, which is inclined to be much faster than DME and likely would have resulted in diminished interest/users of DME because of that. To be clear, I'm not at all saying I agree with the loss of the benefit, but I can see the thought process operationally, even though its not the best from an optics perspective.

first of all i agree with most of your sentiments on the Express being terminated after this year. it sounds funny but that big bus is a key part of the trip for so many people. it's always so charming getting off the plane, grabbing a coffee, and heading over to the big air-conditioned bus playing disney cartoons. it is actually one of the first memories i have of disney and one of the first elements of a trip i think of.

in other words, it was Disney World's first impression, and it's sad to picture that no longer being part of the experience, to say the least.

OP i am so glad you said this because, as DIS fans, this is one of the times where we need Pete's take on things. it doesn't necessarily have to be a rant - if Pete isn't that fired up over this, no need to tell the man how to react. But when news like this drops, his take is the first I look for. I really hope he's on today's show and we get his opinion on this, rant or not.

Last edited:
Ending ME is only foolhardy if they never ever replace it, with anythihg
If you want to hurt Disney where it hurts I suggest cancelling your Disney plus subscription. That is priority number one to them and will be Chapek's legacy. This is what he cares about.

To completely take this off topic...

Wrong Bob. Disney plus is Bob Igers baby. Conceived back in 2014/15 when Chapek was merely a parks guy and Tom Staggs was COO / “Heir apparent”. The announcement that they were ending their deal with Netflix was made in 2017, long before Chapek was in the picture.

Iger always hated the idea that a film could premiere in cinemas in the USA at 8pm on a Thursday, and by Friday / Saturday it was widely available on the black market (I can remember first hand visiting car boot sales in the U.K. and seeing dvds of “cam copies” of films literally released last week). That was “Mickeys Money” and he didn’t like the fact they were losing out on it.

So Iger decided to do something about it: Netflix was already a thing, and their online / dvd subscriber ratio was 10/1as far back as 2014. The future was clearly streaming. Iger wanted in, so they invested in BamTech, and went from there.

90% of what you’re seeing today isn’t straight from Lex Luthers brain: it’s just a continuation of uncle Bobs wishes.

back on topic:
They didn’t do this to make us mad. Let’s wait and see why they did do it.

Last edited:
Magical express may have been a net benefit to Disney when the buses (and planes, and resorts, etc..) were running close to capacity. I imagine the math changes dramatically when each bus has to have plexiglass dividers and uv air filters installed just to carry 10 social distanced guests to the resort.

Magical express may have been a net benefit to Disney when the buses (and planes, and resorts, etc..) were running close to capacity. I imagine the math changes dramatically when each bus has to have plexiglass dividers and uv air filters installed just to carry 10 social distanced guests to the resort.

Except that isn't happening ... There is no plexiglass on the ME buses and social distancing on them is spotty (seems limited capacity on rides to WDW but much less likely on the ride back to MCO)

It sounds like you're confusing things with the park buses, which have plexiglass dividers. The motorcoaches used by Mears to operate DME have no modifications that I'm aware of, definitely no plexiglass, and the seating on the way to the resorts is staggered (every other row). They run at 50% capacity due to the staggered seating. I'm sure Disney realizes the staggered seating is temporary and the buses could operate at full capacity again, some day.

I'm not sure what the push back is against the change to EMH. I'd prefer to get early entry into the park of my choice as opposed to having to go to the one park with it as an option. I did enjoy evening EMH but will take the trade off of selecting my park for the morning.

Magical Express is also a smart business decision in the era of ride share services. It no longer served it's business need.

I'm not sure these changes are rant-worthy but we will see.

what?

There were no plexiglass dividers on the magical express in November 2020....

REALLY hoping the first 30 minutes of today's podcast isn't Deni just reading type.

Hoping for the A-Team today given the latest news. Pete! Ryno! Craig! John! Kevin! Suit up, you're needed in the Bob Varley Studio!

I love Deni and would love to hear her take too but yes! hoping for all the heavy hitters today (Deni too).

30 mins of early entry kills rope dropping for many local AP holders... 30 minutes also just feels cheap and small. Disney couldn't even dedicate an hour? Really?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter