Please Rate the "Atmosphere" of the DVC resorts

Jonethan

Earning My Ears
No disrespect to those who like the GF but...(funny how any time someone says "No disrespect....but" someone is about to get disrespected.) Anyway, I have never stayed at GF and probably never will. I am sure that it is beautiful and everything you would want in a resort. However, I am under the belief that it is just a little too hoity toity for me. With that said, please list your impression of each DVC resort in respect of each resorts level of hoity toityness if any. On a scale of 1 to 10 with a 10 being maximum smugness levels and a 1 being utopia.

I frankly find the DVC resorts to be quite laid back, especially the ones that are totally DVC. I guess I'd rank Beach Club and Boardwalk as a little "stuck up", Wilderness Lodge a little less, and OKW and SSR not at all stuck up.

BCV and BWV do they compare to AKL. I have been there and wow. Stiff city.

I find all Disney/DVC resorts to have about equal hoity toity factor, except the GF.
The GF clearly stands alone on the hoity toity scale.

Anyway, I've never found AKL to be more hoity toity than WL/VWL, BC/BCV, and BWI/BWV.
Because OKW and SSR are stand alone DVCs, I don't have a lot of oppurtunity to interact with the folks there in order to gather hoity toity info.

I hope my post wasn't overly hoity toity... :teeth:

MG

I have stayed at every resort at WDW except SSR. One of my least favorites, and the most disapointing was the GF. I will not stay there, ever, never, did I say ever? Again. Period.

The rooms are small, and there's no point when you can stay for the same (or sometimes less) cash at OKW, or for less points at OKW.

My favorite resort is OKW (1 bedroom). My wife is a fan of Boardwalk because it's got more stuff going on at night (read: Jellyrolls).

As far as DVC, we've only stayed at OKW, but we toured and pool hopped to all the others except WLV.
OKW is VERY laid back. We loved how casual it was. Never felt like you should be dressed up on vacation! SSr seemed just about as casual to me when we walked around there. BWV was slightly more ..... stiff... I guess you could say - but still seemed pretty casual, with not too many dressed up looking people in the lobby areas, etc. BCV, however, I will say, I actually felt a little uncomfortable walking through the lobby in my theme park casual wear (read - shorts and t-shirts with tennis shoes). This could be my own little problem, I suppose - but there was certainly more of an upscale attitude there.
Just my impressions, and certainly we weren't staying at any of the resorts except OKW long enough to really have any really strong opinions!

Of the dozen or so Disney resorts we visited (does not include the GF), the only one we considered noticably more formal than the others was the Yacht Club. The fact that we were there around 9pm at night when the lobby was practically deserted probably contributed to that sense.

At the other end of the scale I'd place Old Key West because of the laid-back theme.

Aside from those two, the Boardwalk, Beach Club, Contemporary, WL, Port Orleans, SSR...they all pretty much felt the same to me.

I have never found any Disney resort to be hoity-toity. Hmmmm, maybe that just means that I'm hoity-toity, and therefore don't know the difference?

Anyway - I think the AKL is laid back. No hoity-toity there at all for me. So if you think they are hoity-toity, then I guess my opinion doesn't matter on the others.

And there's probably no point to this post, but I just felt like rambling because MG made me laugh so I'm blaming him for this.

kathleena said:
I have never found any Disney resort to be hoity-toity. Hmmmm, maybe that just means that I'm hoity-toity, and therefore don't know the difference?
:rotfl: That's what I was wondering regarding myself. I have never felt any of the resorts were hoity-toity, especially AKL. I found that resort to be very laid back and casual.

I feel like BC is a little stiff. But not really more so than any other WDW resort. All have a "don't let your kids run amuck" feel in the lobbies, which is appropriate in my opinion. OKW and BCV have community halls for kids to let off steam.

OKW is the most relaxed for sure.

OneMoreTry said:
OKW and BCV have community halls for kids to let off steam.
BWV has a community hall not BCV. I wish it did. My dd loved the one at the Boardwalk. Those kids activities are the best.

I don't feel that any of the DVC's are "stuck up" too much. They are mostly connected with deluxe resorts so that maybe the feel of it. I think it's nice to see kids well behaved in the lobby. The DVC's that I'd feel uncomfortable walking around in a bathing suit and flip flops is..... well all of them:blush:

Jonethan said:
No disrespect to those who like the GF but...(funny how any time someone says "No disrespect....but" someone is about to get disrespected.) Anyway, I have never stayed at GF and probably never will. I am sure that it is beautiful and everything you would want in a resort. However, I am under the belief that it is just a little too hoity toity for me. With that said, please list your impression of each DVC resort in respect of each resorts level of hoity toityness if any. On a scale of 1 to 10 with a 10 being maximum smugness levels and a 1 being utopia.

Not at all.

We decide not to stay there because of the points/cost. The people are very nice.

I think people are "stuck up," not resorts.

If you have rude people staying at your resorts, you may give others a bad experience. I have also not encountered rude staff at the resorts, which would also cause an awful experience.

We've stayed just about everywhere on property and I've never felt that any of them were hoity-toity including the Grand Floridan. Of course maybe that's because we stayed there on our honeymoon :)

Boardwalk is our home and to me it has a slightly elegant feel but with the casual fun of a beachside resort.

Beach club feels much the same way.

Old Key West is slightly more casual and we felt like we were checking into a friends summer home.

Villas of Wilderness Lodge was not our favorite because of some problems we had there with CM's. I didn't feel like they were hoity-toity - just that they didn't care. Must have caught them on a bad day.

We've never stayed at SSR but hope to in the near future.

Our experience at WDW resorts, DVC included, is that they are very relaxed, laid back and family fun oriented. True, GF has more upscale restaurants than some others, but overall there is plenty of just plain ordinary Disney brand fun everywhere you go.

My advice is to decide based on your budget, location and theming if you have strong preferences.

Maistre Gracey said:
I find all Disney/DVC resorts to have about equal hoity toity factor, except the GF.
The GF clearly stands alone on the hoity toity scale.

MG

Is it just me, or is a true hoity-toity type at WDW kind of like someone on a beach in a tuxedo?

Really?!? I've never felt any hoitytoityness anywhere. I love all of the resorts...Is there something wrong with my hoitytoity radar? LOL

Us DVCers prefer the term "snob" to "hoity-toity". :snooty:

Somehow, hoity-toity seems just so...banal (don't forget the accent's on the second syllable to get the proper effect!).

:teeth: :teeth:

Seriously, Laurajean nailed it with this quote:
I think people are "stuck up," not resorts.

kathleena said:

Anyway - I think the AKL is laid back. No hoity-toity there at all for me. So if you think they are hoity-toity, then I guess my opinion doesn't matter on the others.
Very nicely said, kathleena. You do have a way with words... :teeth:

MG

I agree re: it's the people, not the place. I've hung out at GF when I go to the spa or have a meal - - sometimes I'll stay all day at the beach on a spa day - - and the guests are all very nice. I've actually thought about staying there - but now I won't even bother based on the room comments.

MG = OHT - - I love it - - not OTT, but OHT... new code!!!

OKW is my home, and maybe it's the general age of the clientele :rotfl: , but it seems very laid back to me.

Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter