• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please remove

Are you flying out from Kona or Hilo when you leave the Big Island? If out of Kona, the last day I'd plan for something on the Kona side. If out of Hilo, I'd think about staying the last night in Volcano. It's over 4 hours round-trip from the Kona side to Volcano. I'd consider doing it once in a trip, but don't think I'd want to do it twice.

Fair point, need a plan for the last day then ;) And I guess the sunset helicopter flight is out, because that will cut the Vulcano park day short

Alternatively, you could look for a nighttime helicopter tour that takes you over the lava. I've only seen the lava at night from a boat and OMG it was spectacular!!! Much more impressive than seeing it in daylight.

Our research showed there is no lava flow into the water right now, that's why we decided against the boat tour (because it was on our wish list!), this sunset helicopter tour says you'll see the lava in the dark. Do you know a tour (preferably from Kona) that is allowed to fly in the dark? Most helicopters aren't equipped for that, because we'd definitely be interested!

No, I don't know of any companies offhand. The lava flow is unpredictable, so keep checking. You never know when it will start up again.

If you don't get to see the lava in person you may want to check out this art gallery in Hilo, it's the next best thing: http://www.extremeexposure.com/About the owner, Bruce, is very knowledgeable about the volcano and may be able to make some recommendations.

We just returned from the Big Island. We were in Volcano on the day of our departure and drove to the Kona airport on route 11. Two and a half hours. Our plane left Kona at 6:30pm,we even stopped on the way for lunch and malasadas at Puunalu’u Bakery about 30 min from Volcano. Also hit up Target in Kona before our flight . You’ll have plenty of time. Enjoy your trip!

We're going to reevaluate the entire itinerary. If it's really such a difficult drive, I want to have a full day at the volcano park, so it's ok if we don't make it back. This might mean the Mauna Kea hike is out (we'll try to keep the sunset and star gazing)

It's not a difficult drive. What do you consider a"full-day" is the question, I think. It's 4+ hours r/t from Kona and back, and even more driving to get around the park.

I recommend the three national historic sites on the west coast. They were pretty interesting if you want to learn about Hawaii’s history.

A full day would mean leave after breakfast and return when it's dark. We don't mind driving, we've spent multiple holidays where we're in the car all day driving around, so that isn't a problem, I just want to be able to see as much of the park as possible
Well, sunset starts at around 6-ish, but if you're trying to catch an 8:15 flight on the other side of the island, you'll need to leave earlier than that. I’d say leave the park by 5 to allow yourself 2 hours to get to Kona, plus time to return your rental car, check baggage, and get through security. When I say “leave the park”, I mean actually exiting the park gate. If you’re at the end of Chain of Craters road, you’re a good 20 miles from the exit of the park, and then there is the additional 80 miles to get back to Kona. Getting there by 10 and leaving by 5 is a nice full day, though. Driving 200 miles in a single day is exhausting for me, but if you can do it, go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter