PLEASE SHARE -What is it like to resort park now?

So question. Say I have a reservation booked prior to March 21 (won't have a car) and a friend who lives in Florida were to meet us the last few days of our trip at one of the parks? We ride back to our hotel with her after we leave the park (and she also has a room there, booked after March 21) and myself or my husband scan our magic band when entering the gate at the hotel? Would parking for that car be free? Just wondering...

So question. Say I have a reservation booked prior to March 21 (won't have a car) and a friend who lives in Florida were to meet us the last few days of our trip at one of the parks? We ride back to our hotel with her after we leave the park (and she also has a room there, booked after March 21) and myself or my husband scan our magic band when entering the gate at the hotel? Would parking for that car be free? Just wondering...

If the system works as @dansdad is suggesting, then it's possible that the license plate on that car would be associated with your reservation, and the parking fee would be added to your account.

If the system works as @dansdad is suggesting, then it's possible that the license plate on that car would be associated with your reservation, and the parking fee would be added to your account.
But my reservation was made long before March 21, so wouldn't that mean no parking fee?

While at BWI this week I spoke with the CM how parking is working, how they know who has cars, how long, etc. Specifically with online check in and guests who skip the desk completely, and never interact with the desk/resort CM.
They told me it's 100% based on the guard shack CM. He said the guard shack CM is supposed to get the ID of those arriving and not doing just a drop off. He even mentioned that if someone really wanted to get around the parking fee they could act as if they were an Uber driver just doing a drop off. If a guard didn't get the ID they did so in error. He also said they do have the RFID readers that can remotely read MBs but that would only work for those who have their bands with them when they arrive.

He said they are not using the plate readers for parking. He did mention using the plate reading system to record the cars that are parked (his example was "if it blows up in the lot") but not using it for how long a car is parked. He said they use a chalk mark if they are concerned about how long a car is parked and not moved and does that car belong to a resort guest or not.

While at BWI this week I spoke with the CM how parking is working, how they know who has cars, how long, etc. Specifically with online check in and guests who skip the desk completely, and never interact with the desk/resort CM.
They told me it's 100% based on the guard shack CM. He said the guard shack CM is supposed to get the ID of those arriving and not doing just a drop off. He even mentioned that if someone really wanted to get around the parking fee they could act as if they were an Uber driver just doing a drop off. If a guard didn't get the ID they did so in error.
So what are the guards doing with IDs? All they've ever done in the past was glance at mine, which wouldn't be enough to look up my reservation in the system. They'd need to look up full name and address, since many people have common names. I'd think that would take more than a quick glance.

So what are the guards doing with IDs? All they've ever done in the past was glance at mine, which wouldn't be enough to look up my reservation in the system. They'd need to look up full name and address, since many people have common names. I'd think that would take more than a quick glance.
Based on what i understood if the driver had a MB it was being picked up RFID, like when your name is read on a sign at small world. Those without would take a closer look. That and there should no longer be a quick glance if the driver says they are checking in. Which is why he said you could get around it by claiming to be dropping off

Last edited:

They told me it's 100% based on the guard shack CM. He said the guard shack CM is supposed to get the ID of those arriving and not doing just a drop off. He even mentioned that if someone really wanted to get around the parking fee they could act as if they were an Uber driver just doing a drop off. If a guard didn't get the ID they did so in error. He also said they do have the RFID readers that can remotely read MBs but that would only work for those who have their bands with them when they arrive.

He said they are not using the plate readers for parking. He did mention using the plate reading system to record the cars that are parked (his example was "if it blows up in the lot") but not using it for how long a car is parked. He said they use a chalk mark if they are concerned about how long a car is parked and not moved and does that car belong to a resort guest or not.

You are the BEST!!! Thank you very much for getting great info! Hope you enjoyed your trip!

So basically, from what I am understanding, at this point, you basically have to fess up if you have a car there overnight. And, Im assuming you also have to tell someone if the car will not be there the entire trip.

My guess with the readers was that they were used when someone came out of the park and couldnt find their car / forgot what their rental was, but haf the license playe # on the key chain. I remember many many years ago I went to the MK early in my rental, which was a Red something with an Alamo bumper sticker. When we left the park at night, we went to the lot and say HUNDREDS of the same car! I had to walk around looking at all the license plates. Learned then to put something unique on the dashboard or a bright towel on the passenger seat. Now they have the alarm sounds on the keychains, so its not as bad. Being on golf carts at the resorts didnt make too much sense to me for scanning coming in and out of the gate.

Last edited:
You are the BEST!!! Thank you very much for getting great info! Hope you enjoyed your trip!

So basically, from what I am understanding, at this point, you basically have to fess up if you have a car there overnight. And, Im assuming you also have to tell someone if the car will not be there the entire trip.

My guess with the readers was that they were used when someone came out of the park and couldnt find their car / forgot what their rental was, but haf the license playe # on the key chain. I remember many many years ago I went to the MK early in my rental, which was a Red something with an Alamo bumper sticker. When we left the park at night, we went to the lot and say HUNDREDS of the same car! I had to walk around looking at all the license plates. Learned then to put something unique on the dashboard or a bright towel on the passenger seat. Now they have the alarm sounds on the keychains, so its not as bad. Being on golf carts at the resorts didnt make too much sense to me for scanning coming in and out of the gate.
Some of your fessing up but he said mostly it was the guards having to do a better job of looking at and recording of the ID of the guest arriving

This is great info, thank you! However, how does the guard know when I booked or if I'm DVC, paying cash and staying at WL vs CCV or I booked a group rate (my TA said their rates are excluded from the parking fee)?

This is all great information. At this point, although I want to use online check in, I am still concerned about being charged for parking (we booked back in December) when we check out. I wonder if it's worth a stop at the desk anyway just to be sure we aren't going to be dealing with a headache when we leave. Or would we know after the first night if they're attempting to charge us?

This is all great information. At this point, although I want to use online check in, I am still concerned about being charged for parking (we booked back in December) when we check out. I wonder if it's worth a stop at the desk anyway just to be sure we aren't going to be dealing with a headache when we leave. Or would we know after the first night if they're attempting to charge us?
It should show on the daily breakdown. Hopefully someone who has paid parking will come along to correct or confirm

I think day guests should be the first ones to have to pay (over overnight guests), but what do I know.
I'm just glad we fly, one thing not to worry about. Well 2, parking somewhere and paying to park.
I agree with you. But....

The real reason for pay to park may go far beyond just the instant cash it creates. I believe they're focused more now than ever before on keeping us on property. Fees may reduce the number of guests who choose to rent a car to go visit the competition, eat and shop off site. Note how ME is still free.

They welcome outsiders to come in for the day and spend money at the resorts with open arms. Why not? Might turn an offsite Disney fan into an onsite one.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that they wanted a new revenue stream and parking would do that. But they didn't need to do big infrastructure and staffing changes to roll it out if they could just add it to hotel bills. Day guests would need to pull tickets, check out, exchange money with someone at the gate. So they went with the easiest route even if it seems unfair.

I agree with you. But....

The real reason for pay to park may go far beyond just the instant cash it creates. I believe they're focused more than ever on keeping us on property by reducing the number of guests who choose to rent a car to go visit the competition. Note how ME is still free.

They welcome outsiders to come in for the day and spend money at the resorts with open arms. Why not? Might turn an offsite Disney fan into an onsite one.
Even if the reason is to keep people on property, I think they really should waive it for locals. A local is not going to fly in and take the Magical Express. My friend who lives in Tampa decided to meet us for the last 3 days of our trip and also booked a room at POR where we are staying. I'm annoyed that she has to pay this stupid parking fee to visit us. I'm thinking of claiming her car as mine since we booked our trip months ago and are grandfathered in. (We are flying in and won't have a car.)

Got back yesterday (Saturday April 28th) from a 6 night stay at Pop Century. My reservation was made in late 2017. I verbally reminded the front desk CM that I was not supposed to pay for any parking. I was not charged for parking.

My car was driven almost each day going from place to place, and I parked it in the exact same spot each night. It was obvious I was staying away from pedestrian traffic with backpacks and also other cars (door dings). We hand washed the car just before the trip and it is garaged. Tonight we washed the car mostly because of all the bug guts on the front end, hood, and windshield.

I don't know what this means, but someone put a white dot of paint on the upper driver's side corner of the windshield. While washing the car, I thought it was a drop of white bird poop.....it was not. I had to scrape it off the windshield. I don't know what it means, but I wanted to share this detail and see if others have it too. Because I did not see it until after I left Pop, I could not survey any other cars in the lot.

Got back yesterday (Saturday April 28th) from a 6 night stay at Pop Century. My reservation was made in late 2017. I verbally reminded the front desk CM that I was not supposed to pay for any parking. I was not charged for parking.

My car was driven almost each day going from place to place, and I parked it in the exact same spot each night. It was obvious I was staying away from pedestrian traffic with backpacks and also other cars (door dings). We hand washed the car just before the trip and it is garaged. Tonight we washed the car mostly because of all the bug guts on the front end, hood, and windshield.

I don't know what this means, but someone put a white dot of paint on the upper driver's side corner of the windshield. While washing the car, I thought it was a drop of white bird poop.....it was not. I had to scrape it off the windshield. I don't know what it means, but I wanted to share this detail and see if others have it too. Because I did not see it until after I left Pop, I could not survey any other cars in the lot.
Soooo.......
They might be using a "paint that looks like poop at Pop" method of monitoring the overnight parking situation. :duck:

But you drove it all over property? And all the way from your house to Disney and back? So no telling where it came from.
Having made this trip many times with the same basic habits, I provided the information to see if others experienced the same thing. "Challking" cars was mentioned in an earlier post which provided me with a little extra motivation to mention my discovery. I have never, ever had this happen before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter