• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PLEASE SHARE -What is it like to resort park now?

I recently emailed GS to get more info regarding this alleged “Disney Arrivals”.

I was called back by Mallory, a guest experience manager, who was eager to tell me all about this new and exciting protocol! It all sounded so promising... until it didn’t.

Here are a few things she said about it:

It will be a “tool” to give a more “personalized welcome”.
It’s a “process enhancement” to create a “magical and memorable experience”.
It will allow CMs to provide you with a “warm and friendly welcome”.

During her spiel, I couldn’t help but think, “Shouldn’t this already happen? Aren’t CMs already supposed to be warm and friendly?”

She then went on to point out that this tool will be rolled out in the coming months. I asked for specifics and she said, “Details aren’t worked out yet”.

So I asked how it will affect someone who bypasses the front desk at checkin? She said, “Well the security guard could offer the special welcome, by wishing someone a happy birthday. This is me just speculating, we’re not sure what will be involved.”

At this point in the conversation I realized this phone call was a complete waste of my time.

I then remarked that it doesn’t sound like there’s much to this.

She replied, “To be honest, the guest probably won’t notice anything different. It’s just a new protocol for CMs to follow.”

The rest of the conversation was a blur after I heard that. I was so annoyed that they thought this was yet another convincing argument for instituting a parking fee. Do they think we’re idiots?

I did tell her that I have no intention of ever paying this fee, even if that meant never going to Disney again.

Just thought I’d share in case anyone was wondering. It sounded to me like a bunch of BS just to placate those calling in to complain.

We drove up to Disney for lunch at the Grand Floridian in Easter. We told the guard that we had lunch reservations and he checked DH's driver's license and let us right in, as they've always done in the past. We had MIL with us so we decided to take her on a resort tour after lunch. All in all, with lunch, looking at the Easter eggs, touring the resorts, and getting Dole Whips at the Poly, we were parked at the Grand Floridian for over five hours. I'm pretty sure our car could have remained parked there indefinitely without anyone being the wiser.

We also wanted to show MIL the WL--my favorite resort. We thought about taking the boat but it was a hot day so we decided to go back to the GF, pick up our car, and drive over there. When we pulled up at the WL, my DH told the guard that we just wanted to look around. He wouldn't let us in. They've always let us in to look around at any of the resorts in the past.

We drove up to Disney for lunch at the Grand Floridian in Easter. We told the guard that we had lunch reservations and he checked DH's driver's license and let us right in, as they've always done in the past. We had MIL with us so we decided to take her on a resort tour after lunch. All in all, with lunch, looking at the Easter eggs, touring the resorts, and getting Dole Whips at the Poly, we were parked at the Grand Floridian for over five hours. I'm pretty sure our car could have remained parked there indefinitely without anyone being the wiser.

We also wanted to show MIL the WL--my favorite resort. We thought about taking the boat but it was a hot day so we decided to go back to the GF, pick up our car, and drive over there. When we pulled up at the WL, my DH told the guard that we just wanted to look around. He wouldn't let us in. They've always let us in to look around at any of the resorts in the past.

Did the guard give an explanation as to why he wouldn't let you in?

I recently emailed GS to get more info regarding this alleged “Disney Arrivals”.

I was called back by Mallory, a guest experience manager, who was eager to tell me all about this new and exciting protocol! It all sounded so promising... until it didn’t.

During her spiel, I couldn’t help but think, “Shouldn’t this already happen? Aren’t CMs already supposed to be warm and friendly?”

She then went on to point out that this tool will be rolled out in the coming months. I asked for specifics and she said, “Details aren’t worked out yet”.

So I asked how it will affect someone who bypasses the front desk at checkin? She said, “Well the security guard could offer the special welcome, by wishing someone a happy birthday. This is me just speculating, we’re not sure what will be involved.”

At this point in the conversation I realized this phone call was a complete waste of my time.

She replied, “To be honest, the guest probably won’t notice anything different. It’s just a new protocol for CMs to follow.”

The rest of the conversation was a blur after I heard that. I was so annoyed that they thought this was yet another convincing argument for instituting a parking fee. Do they think we’re idiots?

I did tell her that I have no intention of ever paying this fee, even if that meant never going to Disney again.

Just thought I’d share in case anyone was wondering. It sounded to me like a bunch of BS just to placate those calling in to complain.
I've said all along I seriously don't think most guests will ever notice any difference whatsoever. I don't think procedures will change and quite honestly, even for CM. Despite her statement otherwise.

The lots are for registered guests and those with ADRs. If the lot was full, it's common to be turned away if you aren't a guest or have an ADR.

Yes, I realize the lots are generally for registered guests & people dining with ADR's. However, since guests are somewhat encouraged to visit & tour the resorts, I was curious as to why they were turned away. I'm wondering if the reason was because it was a busy, holiday time period. Side note: we've never been turned away from visiting any onsite resort.

Did the guard give an explanation as to why he wouldn't let you in?

He said that if we didn't have a restaurant reservation he couldn't let us in. It's possible it was especially busy, being Easter Sunday. We've often taken visiting friends/family to see our favorite resorts. Sometimes we have a meal, sometimes we don't, but we've never been turned away even when we told the guard we just wanted to look around.

It's funny, I didn't have much of a desire to stay at WL (somehow "National Parks" didn't seem very Disneyish to me) until I went to see the Christmas decorations one year. It's a good thing the guard let me in just to look around that time, because now it's my favorite place to stay!

WOW...OK, so Im not laughing anymore! OK, I am. How RIDICULOUS. I think its the free day guests who will get the personal greeting, because they will actually get to talk to the guard. Us resort payers will just continue to stretch our arms to reach the MB machine and keep handing our $$$ to Disney.

He said that if we didn't have a restaurant reservation he couldn't let us in. It's possible it was especially busy, being Easter Sunday. We've often taken visiting friends/family to see our favorite resorts. Sometimes we have a meal, sometimes we don't, but we've never been turned away even when we told the guard we just wanted to look around.

It's funny, I didn't have much of a desire to stay at WL (somehow "National Parks" didn't seem very Disneyish to me) until I went to see the Christmas decorations one year. It's a good thing the guard let me in just to look around that time, because now it's my favorite place to stay!

So if you went to a park and took the bus back to that resort, would they also not let you in? Or is it just the car they were turning away?

DId ity fly over everyones head that this person parked at the GF and left their car there to resort hop. I dont really care, but it all ties back to if there will be space for paying guests. Easter weekend, the begnning/end of many schools spring breaks is a VERY busy time. If locals are enjoying their holiday meals, the parking lots are going to get very full, very fast. How is Disney going to gaurantee parking for paying guests? I suppose this is the reason for not letting a visitor in who was not planning on handing over some sort of $$. I wonder if it was mentioned they were there to shop, would they have been let in? Hmmmm.....

DId ity fly over everyones head that this person parked at the GF and left their car there to resort hop. I dont really care, but it all ties back to if there will be space for paying guests. Easter weekend, the begnning/end of many schools spring breaks is a VERY busy time. If locals are enjoying their holiday meals, the parking lots are going to get very full, very fast. How is Disney going to gaurantee parking for paying guests? I suppose this is the reason for not letting a visitor in who was not planning on handing over some sort of $$. I wonder if it was mentioned they were there to shop, would they have been let in? Hmmmm.....
Nope. And it all goes back to the fact that to my mind, it only makes the most sense to charge day guests parking and let those who pay overnight fees park free. They'd even eliminate the guest who parks at the resorts in an attempt to not resort hop but to avoid a parking fee at the park. Which we know happens because they do not monitor the lots. They haven't done it so far and they aren't going to start now. At least I don't think they will. Charging day guests would have solved so many problems. Sure, the day guests would have been annoyed but really, if you have to annoy someone, pick them vs. your overnight guests who are spending more than the day guest.

Nope. And it all goes back to the fact that to my mind, it only makes the most sense to charge day guests parking and let those who pay overnight fees park free. They'd even eliminate the guest who parks at the resorts in an attempt to not resort hop but to avoid a parking fee at the park. Which we know happens because they do not monitor the lots. They haven't done it so far and they aren't going to start now. At least I don't think they will. Charging day guests would have solved so many problems. Sure, the day guests would have been annoyed but really, if you have to annoy someone, pick them vs. your overnight guests who are spending more than the day guest.

There you go using logic again. :thumbsup2

I've said all along I seriously don't think most guests will ever notice any difference whatsoever. I don't think procedures will change and quite honestly, even for CM. Despite her statement otherwise.

That same sentiment was expressed many times on the thread that is now closed.

We doubted there would be any change, but we were hoping for change. Some sort of silver lining we could cling to. Whether that was Disney Arrivals or guranteed parking or something else. Something instead of the nothing we got.

We've been a day guest a lot recently as we stay at Universal and have dinner at WDW resorts frequently. It's been nice having free parking, but I wouldn't have a problem paying in the future. We've also been a day guest at the Hard Rock hotel at Universal. We had lunch at the resort one day while staying offsite. We valet parked, they validate- it cost us $5.00 plus tip to park.

I agree. But at the same time, from a money hungry Disney perspective, they already have you if you're staying on property. You want to stay in the resort, you have a car, so they can slap on the parking fee and you're stuck paying it. An outside guest who is staying off property but driving to the Contemporary to eat at Chef Mickey's isn't giving Disney the grand amount of money to stay at the resort, BUT they are spending a lot at Chef Mickey's. And Disney wants those outside guests to keep driving in to eat at the expensive restaurants, so not charging them $15 or to park for dinner is more incentive for them to go to the restaurant and spend $150-200.

OK, so a paying guest at ASMu drives to POFQ to have dinner -- (OK, beignets, but enough for a meal ...) no charge for parking, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter