• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please share your best tips for flying with a "lap child"

I would also suggest buying at least one seat if your budget can allow it. That would allow you to have one row with DH across the isle to trade off or even let the 4 year old sit across with a DVD player.

I would suggest a few new small toys especailly for 4 year old. Sometimes I would make DH get happy meals for his lunch at work from a place we normally did not eat at. Super cheap and not a big deal if lost.

Extra pacifiers and teethers for the ones the babies will drop.

Try to keep every thing you need to get to under your seat. Things shift up above and opening one during the flight while holding an infant would not be easy.

DD have been responsible for their carry on for several trips now. They get one small back pack to put what ever they want in it to keep them amused. DVD player is in my bag along with a few favorite DVD's and a few new not watched at home before trip ones.

Good Luck I wish you sleepy babies.

Denise in MI

I've travelled with a lap baby multiple times. Disney is only a 2.5 hour flight for us so my youngest sat on my lap for the last 2 trips. And we had a 3 and a 5 year old, too! It really wasn't bad at all (except for the 3 hour flight delay and the vomit incident on our last trip...). With younger babies it will be even easier.
They won't let you use a sling for take-off and landing but you can use it mid-flight. I found my Ergo very, very helpful mid-flight. We brought a portable DVD player for the older kids so we didn't have to entertain them the whole time. My older kids each have a backpack and have to carry it themselves. I pack snacks and plane-friendly toys for them.
Bring pacifiers, bottles, etc. for take-off and landing. Can DH sit across the aisle from you? Then you can help each other. We've done that, too.

Good luck!
Amanda

I flew with my 10 month old on my lap and fighting 7 year old and 8 year old and my husband. The older ones made more of a problem. What I did with the baby was stayed up packing really late the night before our flight home, and then woke him up fairly early in the morning, played around most of the time to wear him out, and he slept 3 of our 4 hour flight home. I also brought Puffs and the little dissolving yogurt snacks for babies and of course a bottle for him to suck on. Another thing I brought were lollipops in case his ears bothered him a lot, but they didn't so we didn't use them.

Thanks Kirsten! What are you going to name your princess?

Absolutely no idea :) We usually have a list and see what baby looks like, as we had named my first James Henry and when he was born decided he didn't look like a James so he is Cullen Josh.

Front runner on our list at the moment is Ariana, but we also like Hayley and a few others.

Sorry to OP for taking off topic,

back on topic, you will find if you need to put a baby down that there will be enough room to wedge them one of them in with you 4 year old.

We flew Seattle to LA last year and actually buckled our 18 month old in next to our 3 year old and no body said a thing and there was heaps of room in the seat for the pair of them. So don't worry about the "not being able to put baby down if need be"

Plus, while you can't count on it, a lot of people will offer to hold a baby if they see you are struggling, I know I have both offered and taken an offer of another passenger to hold the baby.

Kirsten

for our trips with our son we always took a portable DVD player and some Baby Einstine vids for him to watch at 8 months and 20 months. He slept most of the flight from Greater Pitt to MCO both times. The biggest downer was he pee'd on my leg both trips!!! Darn Huggies!!!I guess the gapped just enough to drench me. 2 years in a row I had to break out a fresh pair of shorts was soon as we got our rental car.:rotfl2:

Don't let the people in this thread scare you. You are (or will be) used to life with 2 babies and your DS will be used to being a big brother. You guys will do fine. First of all, don't count on any of your kiddos sleeping. Even if you get them up at 3 am and run them around the airport for 3 hours. They may not sleep. Or, they may fall asleep for no reason 2 hours before you expect them to and sleep the entire way. Just don't go into it thinking 'oh naptime, they'll sleep'. Don't worry about any of your kids screaming. You are going to Orlando, with lots of other families with little kids, during a time when a lot of families go. If your kids make noise, they will not be the only ones and even if they are, you won't be traveling with a bunch of business people who don't understand.

Not to freak the OP out, but out of 12 different trips to Disney World, which equals about 96 seperate flights for me, I can remember a baby crying exactly once. Screaming kids are definately not the norm, even on flights to Disney World. Which should just mean that the OP can relax and not worry about it so much.

A DVD player should go a long way in keeping your 4yr old occupied. He will have to wear headphones, but I think at 4 he should be ok with that. When my nieces and nephew were younger I also put together little travel books for them, filled with dot to dots and coloring pages. They all seemed to really like them.

I do still think it would be easier on their family if they bought at least one more seat.

We have now 19 month old twins we have flown ALOT with them always as lap children. We have paid once and it was pointless as they spent all their time in our lap and hated their car seat.

Yes you can not sit on the same side in the same row, which is kind of hard - some airlines also will not let you sit in the same row - so you can't sit accross from each other either. We usually try and book the window and middle seat with one in front of the other. The reason we do that and not the asile is that there is more room with the window seat, and your LO will not get smashed in the head by the drink cart or another passanger walking down the asile. And sometimes you can distract them by looking out the window.

We also bring a boppy pillow for each of us it helps with holding them during the flight, and also if we happen to be in a bulk head row - which is really nice you can set them on the floor and use the boppy to keep them from going under the seat - ours love to explore under the seat and try to get themselves stuck under there.

We don't bring many toys anymore as they don't use them, and it's just more stuff to lug on - they like the magazines, the cups the snack bags much more then toys. But we always have their security items and one favorite toy (not washed so it still have a familiar smell and feel), and one new toy each.

Also if you board early use that time to scope our the flight attendants - we have always had a few that fall in love with the boys at the beginning of the flight when they are all cute and happy - then they are always willing to help us when they start getting fussy. I've even had a flight atttendent take one of the boys for a walk to meet the other flight attendents so I could help DH with his brother who was getting super fussy.

I have traveled with lap babies before, some short trips, some long. I was advised for my first trip to always bring along a car seat for your baby. If the flight isn't full, the flight crew would much rather you have a seat for your baby and you will not be charged. If there isn't a seat (or 2) available they will check your carseats at the gate.

Have a great trip!
Courtney

The best advice I can give is to bring some type of sling or wearable carrier. It is so much easier on the babies to be snuggled up to you in stressful situations. We flew from Oklahoma to New York with my son when he was about 9 months old. Up until that point I had always worn him in a sling but Dh wouldn't wear it so we bought a jeep brand carrier and it was so comfy for him and it was really easy for Dh and i to just take off and switch who was wearing him. He turned out to really like flying and squeeled with delight during take off and landings! But having our hands free in the airport while we were running to make connections or waiting in unexpected delays was priceless!

I am sure u will do just fine I was extremly nervous last month with DS3 who was 2mths old, thinking he would be cranky and such. We had 2 flights on the way there (3hr and 2.5hrs) He was great and I did find he slept for a good portion of the first one. The second he played a bit and was just content being with his mommy!

On the way home is was a direct 6hr flight. He slept and played and was pretty good through the whole thing, I did not have to stress myself out with worrying he was fine!

I do suggest the bottle or pacifier, Ds did not want to nurse but I found sucking really helped. Also as you are packing for your child don't forget to pack a extra shirt or 2 for yourself! If baby happens to spit up or full out throw up on you, no one likes to sit in that! You will be much happier if u can do a quick change!!

Good luck, I know it maybe tricky at times but u will make it through and anything is worth going through when u are going to WDW!!!!:rotfl:

I totally agree...you can't worry about what others are thinking, you can only focus on what your child needs! bottles and pacifiers work best of us - not sure if they will be up for cheerios yet, but that has been our lifesave...on planes and in lines at WDW...

I think you got a lot of great advise...the one thing I would also recommend is to bring along pull-ups or swim diapers. It makes for changing diapers much easier. I know they may not hold up the best...but when you have no where to lay the baby down to change them, it makes it a lot easier to jsut put these on, then right when you get off the plane you can head to the bathroom to get a regular diaper back onto the baby.

We took my son when he was 5 months old and I changed him RIGHT before we got on the plane hoping I wouldn't have to change him on the plane. I also fed him before we took off so when it was time for take off, he was out. :banana: He was like this on the trip to WDW and on the trip home thank goodness!:rotfl: I'd do as some of the others suggested if you can't get the little one to sleep. Our flight was only 2 hours.

I'll be bringing a roughly 7 month old with us at our next go around at the World!:scared1: My son will be 2 1/2 and I'm hoping that the DVD player will keep both of their attentions........and lots o snacks!!!!!!!!popcorn::

I think you got a lot of great advise...the one thing I would also recommend is to bring along pull-ups or swim diapers. It makes for changing diapers much easier. I know they may not hold up the best...but when you have no where to lay the baby down to change them, it makes it a lot easier to jsut put these on, then right when you get off the plane you can head to the bathroom to get a regular diaper back onto the baby.

Ummmmm unless the swim ones are different in the US to the UK the wee will just go straight out of them. They aren't designed to hold in the wee just the poo.

While I agree with your idea of pull ups, on babies of the age they are it might be actually harder to get them on than using the baby change they have in the toilet on the plane.

Kirsten

I've been working my way through all the suggestions... We will be flying to disney with our 23 month old next week...

We are planning on packing a mini magna doodle and sticker book!

I am going into this not expecting a perfect flight or child... but I am determined not to stress... because kids always seem to pick up on that and act out.

Not so sure this would be the best idea for 7.5 month olds. Maybe a toddler that can stand on his/her own, but infants are changed most easily while lying down.

Also, I second what another poster mentioned - please do not use swim diapers - they are not absorbent -they are only designed to contain "solid waste". Pull-ups might be an option, but I would practice at home first to see how easily you can change them into/out of these diapers.

Don't let other posts panic you. I flew alone with my two several times with DS as a lap child in his first two years of life (DD is alsmost exactly 2 years older). I assume you are used to jugling your little ones and your older one: if so it is mot any harder to help the older one o the the restroom on the plane while you hold a little one on your hip than it is at home. Or, the adult seated by the four year old can hold both babies (using the four year old's seat space) while the other adult takes him potty.

I agree with advice to change diapers right before boarding, board at the end (so the kids are not cooped up longer than necesaary) and have them take a bottle/sippy cup during take off and landing (for ears). Have your 4 year old drink something as well.

One little thing I did not see mentioned that my kids loved at that age: I had a hiking style vest with tons of pockets. I would load up the pockets with little things (cheerios, teether, kix cereal, etc) and encourage them to peek in the pockets while we flew. I swear this was never ending fun:lmao: If I kep dumping cheerios in from a bag they would keep looking for them and eating them for hours:rotfl2:

Also: make sure all three kids are dressed comfortably. Also bring a chane of clothes in the carryon for everybody (including the adults). Lap kids are great at knocking over drinks, having a leaky diaper, etc.

I've been working my way through all the suggestions... We will be flying to disney with our 23 month old next week...

We are planning on packing a mini magna doodle and sticker book!

I am going into this not expecting a perfect flight or child... but I am determined not to stress... because kids always seem to pick up on that and act out.

We use to bring all sorts of activities for our lap child, paper and pens, stickers, books etc. At 23 months all she wanted was to clean everything with a baby wipe!!! Our seat area was the cleanest on the plane and it kept her going for a 9 hour flight. Have a spare pack handy - you never know.:rotfl:

We always bought a seat on the plane for DS, but with twins and having to travel school vacation week (translation $$$$$$$$$$$), we have decided to take the (then) 7.5 month olds as lap sitters. It will be just DH and I with our 4 year old son and the girls.

So....

What's your best advice?

Because of the oxygen masks one of us with one twin will need to sit in a separate row. I am a bit anxious about that since the babies will be unpredictable and I don't want to make the flight miserable for others.
Honestly, I was very worried about this as well. I travelled last year with my husband & 10 month old son. We had 2 paid seats & were assigned to the end of a row (not by the window). This wasn't a big deal but I felt bad for the person sitting by the window because if he/she needed to get up during the flight, we would have to move the baby & ourselves...which at the time seemed like a huge ordeal to me! Well, it ended up that on our flight to Disney, a lady was assigned to our row & her daughters were in the row opposite of us. She actually asked if it was ok to switch assigned seats with us so it would be easier for us with the baby (we would have more room by the window) and she would get to be closer to her daughters. Of course we were fine with this & it ended up working out for everyone. The flight attendant also stopped by & told us this was a great idea & marked it on her chart. On the way home, we sat by a lady who was flying by herself. She traded us seats as well & allowed us to sit beside the window so the baby would have more room. She even offered many times to help me with the baby and moving around my carry-on bag, baby supplies, etc. I had stressed about it for no reason! It was a very smooth process there & back. So as far as wondering what others will think, hopefully you will have a great experience as I did & people will be caring & understanding of your situation!

As far as what to bring for the babies...definitely something they can snack on during take-off & landing. Some children are very sensitive to their ears popping & some are oblivious to it! My son actually ate all of his snacks prior to take-off (while we were waiting for the plane to board). A lady suggested to me that I ask the flight attendant for a biscuit or crackers for him during take-off...but I didn't even have to do this because she came over & offered them to me. She was very nice & even offered to give me more snacks for him after he finished the biscuits. I was surprised that they were so accommodating for children, but they were. I also brought along his favorite blanket, books to read, and a few smaller toys that fit into my carry-on bag.

Honestly, I stressed & stressed over this...travelling with a 10 month old baby can be very unpredictable. I had no idea prior to our flight how he would behave on the plane. I think that children in the age range of 6-12 months are just so amazed by the experience that they are calmer than we think they'll be! He sat quietly (which is VERY unusual for him!) and ended up falling asleep for about an hour of our 2 hour flight. When he was awake, he would allow us to read to him or would just sit & look out the window. The ladies who sat beside me were also very interested in paying extra attention to him, which he definitely enjoyed!

Sorry for the lengthy response, but I wouldn't stress too much about it! Just take the kids favorite books/toys/snacks and you should be fine!

Well, you've already received so much great advice, it's difficult to add anything.

I agree that you MUST have a bottle ready at take off and landing times (to assist with sinuses equallizing the pressure). Also, bring AT LEAST one change of clothes for everyone, preferably two (pants at least). I've had to change my son's clothes--and my own--twice on one flight.

My wife and I have both taken our lap kids on 15-hour flights (Japan to USA) a few times. The best advice yet, as previously stated, is to try to take whatever happens in stride. Don't stress. Whatever happens, happens. Just enjoy the trip!

Have fun! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter