Please tell me that I'll love SSR!

goofy4wdw2

DIS Veteran
I think we're staying at SSR in April and I need your help to get excited! We own at BWV, and also love BCV, WL (never stayed at the villas), and Poly. We just booked airfare for April 15-19 because it's only $117/person, but we were only able to get into SSR (wait list for the others). I'm a little nervous about it...didn't love it when we stopped by during our April 2006 trip, and I'm not sure if it was due to the visible construction or the size of the resort. Please tell me what you love about SSR so I can get excited! Thanks!

You'll love SSR.
Really each DVC resort has its own special appeal. I enjoyed SSR when I was there two years ago for the proximity(sp?) to Downtown Disney. Go in with an open mind and you will truly enjoy it. Any day in Disney beats a day at work!
Enjoy
Mary

I would suggest you read the SSR owners/lovers thread, there is great info there and some nice photos.

We stopped by SSR last April on our way to DTD, and we had so much trouble getting to DTD! We finally took the boat after a long wait, but we had also heard about a walkway that we couldn't find and couldn't get much help finding. I'd like to be as prepared as possible for our upcoming trip to SSR...please let me know our options for getting to DTD, and how long we should expect it to take. And does the best way to get to DTD depend on where we are in SSR? Thanks!

There are two walkways, one at the end of Congress Park section and one closer to the main building. Both are clearly marked on the map you will recieve at check in. Also the boat is located behind the main building and goes to DD and they run a bus from any bus stop.

Here is the map. The walkway follows the lake that overlooks DD, so at any location go to the lake and pick up the walkway.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/14664ssr.jpg

The walkway is in the Congress Park area of SSR. Its a very nice stroll and takes you over to the bus stops are for the Marketplace. My husband and did this during our last visit and just picked up the sidewalk by the quiet pool and headed to the left. It winds its way towards Downtown Disney. Took about 10-15 minutes of a normal pace.

Mary

The walkway to DTD is back by the lake in the Congress Park section. It only takes about 10 minutes to get to the Marketplace. (and we had two little children with us) SSR is a gorgeous resort. As someone else posted each resort has its own pros and cons. We bought SSR sight unseen and were a little anxious as to whether we would like it or not. We were blown away by it's serene beauty. We were there during an extremely busy time but it seemed like we were the only ones in our building. We never saw another guest except in the restaurant, bus stop and pool. The busses were a bit crowded during our stay but from what I hear that's not the norm. I think you will enjoy it there. Have a great trip. pixiedust:

I was there twice, November 26-29 and December 20-23. I'm going back again on May 16-19 and yet again on December 16-21st. Now, I'll state my bias openly. We have no small children, I travel with my parents who are in their 70's and my niece who is going to be 21. We like the distance from the parks, we find it relaxing. We also like the closeness to DTD. It's not for everyone, but I happen to love it.

There are two Downtown Disney walkways. It depends on where in Downtown Disney you want to go. If you want to go to the Marketplace, find the walkway along the lake near any Congress Park bulding and go left, you will circle around the edge of the lake and come out at the Marketplace near the bus stop and Wolfgang Puck Express. As stated and easy way to find it if you are not in the Congress Park area is to go to the Congress Park pool.

The other is nearer the boat dock and main building and crosses over and comes out at DD Westside near Cirque du Soliel and House of Blues.

I like the unhurried feel of SSR. It's quiet and laid back all the time. Yes, it's big, but because it's broken up in sections, I've never felt overwhelmed. I've stayed three times and each time has been very pleasant. If you have a choice and plan to walk to Downtown Disney, I'd recommend you ask for Congress Park. You can walk over and you can also easily walk to the big pool and Artists Palette, the counter service food/convenience store. None of the bus rides are intolerably long and it is nice to be away from the madness.

Went to SSR for the first time ever (never even passed through it before) last month and we had no problems finding our way around (this from the crew who walked in circles looking for Beaches and Cream while staying at the BCV).

All of the resort based recreation and dining is in the main building or adjacent.

The path to DTD is easy to find (and walking is likely the quickest way to get there). Walk to the lake (just look at DTD and walk towards it). The path that winds around the lake is the one that will get you to DTD. I did not utilize the path that Sammie mentioned to House of Blues, but did use the one to the Marketplace. Walk to the lake, go left, and you will end up at the Marketplace busstop, right at the entrance to the Marketplace. This is also where you would catch the DVC boat to go back to SSR, which will take you to a dock directly behind the Turf Club restaurant (which is in the main building). HTH. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Its Disney!

What will there be not to like?

Its not as big as you think. The resort is beautiful and coming along nicely. Most of the construction is almost done. Don't stay in the Carousel section or the Grand Stand if you plan on walking to DTD. The food at artist pallet is wonderful, not your hot dog, burger fare. Bus service is the best, in my opinion.

I think we're staying at SSR in April and I need your help to get excited! We own at BWV, and also love BCV, WL (never stayed at the villas), and Poly. We just booked airfare for April 15-19 because it's only $117/person, but we were only able to get into SSR (wait list for the others). I'm a little nervous about it...didn't love it when we stopped by during our April 2006 trip, and I'm not sure if it was due to the visible construction or the size of the resort. Please tell me what you love about SSR so I can get excited! Thanks!

We too are going to SSR April 15th - 20th. This is our first time as DVC members. We bought without seeing any of the properties. We figured it was Disney, It can't be bad...

We are a little nervous, but VERY excited! We were planning on driving, but after reading about $117 airfare we looked, and it's $197 from Detroit. So we are considering flying now. How do you get to SSR from the airport? Does Disney have a bus? How much does it cost?

We really enjoy SSR. It is our resort of choice.

As Sammie posted, there are 2 paths that lead to DTD. Many are not aware of the Carriage House DTD path that takes you to HOB, but it will make walking to DTD very easy from wherever you are at SSR. If you are in the Grandstand or Carousel section you just walk towards the Carriage House (main Check in) and follow the golf cart path that leads you past the pro shop, at the bridge, you can go left and that will take you to the boat dock, or cross the bridge to continue on to the Westside of DTD which is where HOB, CIrque and DisneyQuest are. If we are hanging out at Community Hall and want to go to DTD we take the boat or the Westside path. If we are in our room in Congress Park, we take the MarketPlace path.

The Carriage House DTD path will also take you to the Nature Trail that connects to OKW.

From the TIP SHEET:
The DVC Ferry will service OKW, SSR, DTD WestSide and Market Place docks.
Starting at 11:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. the Ferry runs every 60 minutes, then every 30 minutes to 11:15 p.m.
Bus service is also available. (continuous)

So if you note the times, you will not have long waits for boat transportation. Just remember on the quarter hour during the day.

Here's another map with distances.

The yellow path on the right takes you to the DTD Marketplace. .35 miles.

SSRmap_enhanced.jpg

SSR is a laid back kind of resort meant to be a refuge from the mayhem of the parks. You might want to take advantage of it by:

- Taking an early morning stroll along the Paddock lakes and watching the birds: swans and bald eagles, perhaps some ducks as well.
- Set up an appointment at the Spa for a facial or pedicure. DVC members get a discount.
- Stroll over to DTD Marketplace in the early morning hours (8am), get some breakfast at Earl of Sandwich, go window shopping and enjoy the area before the crowds arrive by 11am.
- Take a resort day to hop the ferry and visit OKW and Port Orleans.
- Relax in the hot tub in Congress Park and watch the bustling at nearby DTD.
- Plan an adult's night out and hop a ferry to West Side. Eat at House of Blues, Wolfgang Pucks, or Bongos. After head to PI for a little Comedy Club or dance club hopping. Or get yourself tickets to see La Nouba, or just head to AMC theater and catch a 3D movie. (Don't forget to join the AMC movie watcher club online and you'll get coupons for free popcorn, candy and refreshments with your ticket purchases. Good at any AMC theater.)

We too are going to SSR April 15th - 20th. This is our first time as DVC members. We bought without seeing any of the properties. We figured it was Disney, It can't be bad...

We are a little nervous, but VERY excited! We were planning on driving, but after reading about $117 airfare we looked, and it's $197 from Detroit. So we are considering flying now. How do you get to SSR from the airport? Does Disney have a bus? How much does it cost?

You can use the Disney's Magical Express from MCO to SSR. This is Disney's free bus/shuttle service between the airport and WDW resorts. As soon as you have your flight information call MS and book the Magical Express. They will send you a booklet including instructions, bus transfers (to and from SSR) and ME luggage tags to put on your checked baggage. When you get off the plane at MCO you go straight down to the ME counter (transportation level side B of airport) to check-in with ME and then they'll get you on the right bus. No need to pick up your checked luggage as ME will pick it up and deliver it separately to your room 2 - 4 hours after your flight arrives. The night before you depart for home ME will leave an envelope on your dvc room door letting you know what time to meet the ME at the SSR pick up location. This service has worked really well for us. Let us know if you have any other questions :goodvibes Remember, always pack carry-on luggage with a couple of days worth of clothes just incase. Also, if you don't book your flights until just before you leave for WDW (and therefore won't get the tags for you luggage on time) you can still book ME and just pick up your checked luggage yourself and bring it down to the ME counter to check-in for the ME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter