Please tell me the benefits of staying off site

Ms. Diz

Been there, going back
For our first trip we are planning on saving money and staying off site. Please tell me the good things...:D

I would just say on site at the all stars. 87.00 on average, a nite. There is no real benefit to staying off site if Disney is all you came for.
The money you may save is not worth all the traffic on 192 to get to the parks in the morning and don't belive anyone that states there are no trafic problems.
I live at 27 and 192
I live the traffic every day after 9:30 am 192 is grid LOCK.

Not to mention paying 6 dollars a day to park and not getting to early entry days to the park and other perks as a resort guest. BEWARE OF FREE TICKET VENDORS or Discount 2 tickets for 20 bucks booths…..enough said, take my advise as I am LOCAL!

The only benifit I can think of is getting at higher Star hotel at less money.....but when you add in rental car. time ect... is it better? If you are only going to go for 1 day or not take any breaks maybe it is worth it to you. Even with a rent a car I could'nt stand the thought of driving, parking, taking a tram to the front of the parking lot. also remember the MK is 20 min from the front gate of Disney so a off site hotel who says they are 10 min form WDW means the front gate.

Hi Ms. Diz. Welcome to the DIS, we're very glad you found us.

I'm going to move this over to our Orlando Hotels and attractions board where you will find some great advice on this topic.

Katholyn

Our first trip was last year. We were a group of 5, 3 being teen age boys. To stay at a Disney resort that would ADEQUATELY accomodate us all, would have cost close too if not over $200 a night. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Family Suites for $110. We were there for 2 weeks. There was NO significant traffic from the hotel to the parks and back. We were to the parks, in less than 15 minutes. I planned for a rental car all along since I prefer not to rely on any kind of public transportation the monorail system not included. We visited the other non-Disney parks and the KSFC center during our stay. Parking for our days at the Disney parks cost me about $36 total. A drop in the bucket compared to the total cost of the trip.

It all really depends, some feel the need to only stay onsite which is fine, though many think its not as "magical" when you stay off-site. We found other things that impaired the magic beyond not staying on-site. As was stated, you can get better value for your hotel dollar by staying off-site. I'm heading down tomorrow and staying off-site again.

If this is your very first trip to central FL and your plan is to concentrate on the Disney theme parks, I would advise you to stay onsite. We have stayed both on and off site, but to truly experience Walt Disney World for your first visit, you should stay at a Disney hotel. Splurge
for your first visit--go the cheaper route next time.

If, however, you are also planning to experience Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure,
Sea World, etc. then an off site hotel would be fine.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

We've visited Disney both ways. Our last 2 visits were on Disney property at the All Star Hotel.
Our children were young at the time and it was very convenient to return to the room for afternoon naps. We also loved the early entrance to the park. But those, in my opinion were the only real perks.
Our room at the All Star Hotel was not clean. It was so filthy (blood on the comforter) that we had to phone housekeeping. But, I must say that all problems were remedied in perfect Disney fashion.
Our biggest complaint was bus service. When the parks would close the ques to wait on the buses were full. Some nights we waited up to 45 minutes (thats a long time when you have sleepy children). Then, because we were in the least expensive of Disney's hotels, we would make many stops before we arrived at our hotel. If you would stay at an All Star Hotel be sure to request a room near the front of the complex. It can be quite a hike if your in one of the back units and buses only stop at the front!!
We are planning to stay off Disney property this visit. We have found many homes for rent by owners. The homes all have their own private screened in pool and 3/4 bedrooms. Being able to cook breakfast in the morning and a dinner when we get back will save us a lot. And what could be more perfect than eating beside your own pool!! We're very excited!!! The homes we have found range in price from $500 to $600 a week. I've done much research to compile my list and would be happy to send it to you if you like. That is as long as your not visiting the 2nd week in May (I haven't made definate reservations yet!!! :)
Happy vacationing!!!!

You didn't say where you were planning to stay. Based on which hotel you select there are positives and negatives. I was just there last weekend and we stayed at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista. I can tell you that for $99.00 per night the service was excellent, the hotel, rooms, restaurants and gift shops were more than what I had expected and equal to those of the expensive disney resorts. The pool was beautiful. The positive note was that I had just had a very hectic week and it was a quiet hotel. There was not much commotion and I was able to relax with not many kids running around--I actually enjoy seeing kids have fun at Disney but I was looking at the positive angle--peace before I returned to the hectic pace of life.

You've asked for the positives about staying offsite. Here's a good thread, aptly titled "How many of you stayed on-sight and didn't get hooked on staying on-sight?" Hope you are able to get a few tips there.

For us, staying at offsite timeshare resorts means our family of 5 (sometimes, plus guests) gets to stay in luxurious 2-BR/2-bath villas that's more affordable than a single tiny motel room at the All Stars (under $350 per week & no extra room taxes). The grounds & resort amenities beat the All Stars too. If I had to choose between an offsite Motel 6 or Days Inn and All Stars, the All Stars would win due to the transportation. But just ONE NIGHT in an onsite 2-BR villa for 8 costs about what a similarly sized offsite villa costs for a WHOLE WEEK! The offsite savings allows us to enjoy more vacation time, more sightseeing expense and nicer dining.

Our children and DH also get over-stimulated when staying for more than a couple of days at Disney's onsite resorts. They get tired of the Mouse more quickly. Sometimes, we just want to relax at a resort without the constant reminders of Disney and its money-making machine. Staying offsite is more restful for all of us. We don't feel as compelled to run, run, run all the time. It helps us appreciate the Disney parks more, I think.

Hope this helped.

I have stayed both offsite and onsite and to me the biggest advantage to offsite is that it seems easier to see other attractions besides Disney. I don't know why exactly but it does seem that way. We like to sometimes stay offsite just for that reason. Next year, we intend to go to the Universal parks so we'll stay offsite at least part of the time.

We stayed in a nice hotel last year just around the corner from one of the entryways into the World (in Kissimmee) and getting to the parks was a breeze. Early entry is TOO early for us and we rarely use it when we stay on site. I would miss e-nights but there's not a guarantee that Disney will have an e-night when you go anyway.

I don't have a problem with offsite. I like the bigger rooms at better prices but I would recommend a car in any case. JMHO.

I had read all of the posts about how it was imperative that you stay onsite. If you have young kids and can afford a monorail or an epcot lake resort, I can see the reasoning. Anything else, I just can't see. We have stayed in a two-bedroom timeshare with three TVs, VCR, full dining room table, full kitchen, two full bathrooms (one with a jacuzzi.) I personally can't abide the Disney bus transportation. We wanted to eat at other Disney hotels, go to Universal, visit outlet stores, do things that just REQUIRE a car. (Even if you stay at Disney, ask yourself how you would try and eat at the new Animal Kingdom Lodge without a car? How much time would you waste just in transportation?) How much money can you save on breakfast, snacks, being able to easily heat up leftovers after a great meal? Furthermore, depending on your party and your room, you can close the door and go to bed early!

To see some great prices for timeshares, check out www.skyauction.com. (Just be careful of the tax/fee of $195 on top of the bid. Anything with Marriott or Hilton should be fine. Disclosure: we own a Marriott.)

One benefit of staying offsite for us is space! I am going with three teenagers in December and staying in a rental home. I know after a day or two of parks by the time we get back to the hotel they will be tearing each others hair out. This way they can split up and have time to themselves. In December most of the parks are closed by 7 and now we won't have to be cooped up in a small hotel room. There is also the cost advantage. I have 4 kids so I would need 2 rooms. Even at the All-Stars that puts me up to almost $100 a night. I have found a 4 bedroom home with private pool for $600 a week. Now we will be able to eat breakfast and our evening meal at home. (hey...I just realized I'm going to be stuck cooking on my vacation!) To me the privacy of being able to lounge poolside in my pajamas and drink my coffee in the morning is worth it! I'm sure you will enjoy yourself whatever you decide on.

Our reasons for staying offsite have involved money and space. Our last trip included 8 nights offiste. Our stays ranged from $39-$49. We usually saved money by eating at TGIF, Bahama Breeze, The Pub (in Celebration). We stayed at the Rosen Centre, World Renaissance, Radisson LBV, and The Courtyard at WDW Village.

Space has been another reason. Last year we stayed in a one bedroom condo. It was a quiet complex. We felt we could relax in the evenings, and we had plenty of room. Every evening, dh and I would retire to the tiki pool bar for a drink before dinner. Meanwhile our sons could swim in the pool. For sleeping, our teens took the pullout couch and, we had our own bedroom. We've also stayed at HIFS. We had gotten a rate of $95 a night which gave dh and I our own bedroom and a buffet breakfast in the morning. We always have our own car with us. I know that there is no way we could afford this much room onsite at Disney.

Because of money constraints, we've only spent one night onsite. The cost was $189. I've decided that because of early entry, it might help us to actually stay onsite next time - just for a shorter vacation - maybe 4 nights instead of the nine nights we had last year.

Jane E., that's what we've found works for us. Whenever I've/we've gone to WDW for just a few days (3-4 nights), staying onsite has worked out very well. With a short trip, the parks are everything. And if I/we had no car, it didn't matter.

With any longer trip (like a week or more), staying offsite in much larger accommodations was far better. We've had many times when an offsite trek to Wal-Mart, a pharmacy or a walk-in clinic was necessary and the longer the stay, the more the chance of that. So having our own car is more important to us on a longer trip. The drive to the parks matters less, with a car. Also, on a longer trip, everyone needs the added space and privacy. 7-14 days in a single hotel room is just too long, for all the kids & parents alike. Space, privacy, romance, luxuries and convenience (2 bathrooms, kitchen, etc.) are all better in a big villa. When we've paid for that, onsite, we've found that it was grossly overpriced, to us, especially if we're spending a lot of time at the parks and leaving that overpriced room/resort vacated all day! :eek: ;)

Go ahead and try a shorter trip onsite. You'll probably enjoy it a lot! We like to add a couple of days onsite in a discounted deluxe Disney hotel room, to our offsite week. The pool areas are fun for our kids and we hardly visit the parks then. But everyone needs to see what works for them. :)

Great reasons to stay off property:

We LOVE renting a house! All that space, a pool and a full size washer and dryer. It is so nice to have what WE want for breakfast and when we want it. We only cooked dinner 1 or 2 nights. The others we went to a restaurant or got take out. I love being able to freeze drinks to take to the parks with us. We also like have fruit, sandwhich fixings, etc in the fridge in the full kitchen. Our 3 br/2b house was $600 incl tax for 6 nights.

It took us 10 minutes to get to the WDW main gate (our house was 3 miles away) because we like to get to the parks when they open. We like the freedom to go where we want when we want to without waiting for buses or fighting for a seat. Even if you only wait 10 min for a bus, it'll take at least 10 minutes to get to a park. That's 20 minutes min!

We like to eat off property if we feel like it. It's a nice break on the wallet.

Our first trip to WDW we stayed at the Caribe Royal (2 room suite) and it took us 7 minutes to get to the Epcot parking lot!

Different people want different things from their Disney vacation. This is what makes a relaxing time for us!!! :smooth:

Many people are absolutely hooked on on site and would not even consider going and staying off site..but we have never actually stayed on site, other than Disney village and that only once so far....

You can get terrific deals on the hotels on the internet, something you cannot really do with onsite ever...as they do have discounts but only for certain AP holders or members of other organizations...MANY of these hotels on 192 are just as close as the All Star Hotels are to the park and you can often get there faster if you are driving than they can on their transport system...

There is the convenience of being able to eat meals in fast food or chain restaurants that you know....at a much lower price than any Disney food court price. All Disney food even in the resorts is grossly overpriced....You have to pay it when in the parks but you can give your wallet a break if you eat breakfast or dinner in some non Disney restaurant...It would be a major hassle to have to drive off site to eat all the time so most folks just eat at their hotels onsite. There is also the convenience of stores for sudden necessary items which always seem to come up, only grocery store is Goodings which is very high in price. A wide range of grocery stores and discount stores on 192 and in the local area to use for off siters..save a bunch that way too.

As far as it being less magically....well, I do not find these long waits for bus rides, less and less service for the money, unclean resorts, rude CMs etc very magical at all..but if you want onsite and it works for you fine...I have terrific vacations off site for maybe 75% less in cost for lodging than the on site folk....No one can tell me that my vacation is any less fun because I am not spending hundreds more on lodging. I know I would have less if I had had spent so much needlessly. Offsite continues to meet our needs and the price cannot be beat. We go to the parks and stay all day and just come home at night...We also visit Universal Studios and IOA for a couple of days..

Make the best choice for you..but there are many of us out there who do not stay on site ever and feel we are getting the better deal..there are many perks to off site too. Look at the number of Off Site hotels, the majority of people who go to WDW do not stay on site, it is just too costly..If they did there would not be that number of off site hotels in the area, if there was not a big need for them to exist.

of how many didn't get hooked on site...... that Lisa P. posted the link to but thought I would devise a Top 10 list for benefits of staying offsite in which we have personally enjoyed and those that I have talked with:

1. greater number of different style properties (and newer ones) to choose from whether resort hotel, suite, villa, rental home, condo, timeshare

2. bigger accomodation sizes that allow families lots of in room space to spread themselves out along with personal items; more privacy

3. more available amenities such as microwave, refridgerator, larger t.v., jacuzzi tub, complimentary breakfast, video game component...... etc.

4. neighboring a wide variety of restaurants, shopping venues, pharmacies, and grocery stores that are easily accessible with many being within short walking distance or a two second drive

5. generally decreases total cost of overall vacation

6. very convenient to other kinds of interesting and fun Orlando attractions

7. less overrun with constant hustle and bustle hyperactivity; more quiet as well as relaxing down time after touring parks

8. opportunity to experience a taste of real world/authentic Florida while in town

9. nearby outlet malls or stores that carry a large selection of quality souvenirs at reduced prices

10. loads of places literally right next door to the parks; within just a 10 min. ride you're at the gate

Hope this helps!

We're leaving Saturday for our vacation to the "World" and for the first time, we're not staying onsite. Since there will be 7 of us, we dediced to rent a house (4 bedroom/3 bath). I'm a little nervous but the cost/room factor outweighed the benefits of staying onsite. I'll let you know how it was when I return!

Wish us luck! :)

Thanks for putting that link up! :)

On-sight Lovers always say "Location, location, location." ....and "Themeing."

Off-sighters...WE say...."Savings, savings, savings....Space, space, space...more ammenites offered....and much more!!

As far as "Magic" 24/7, you can have the magical moment anywhere anytime. It's what you make your vacation to be. "Pixie Dust" can follow you anywhere if you let it! ;)

8. opportunity to experience a taste of real world/authentic Florida while in town

Will you please tell me where this "REAL world/authentic" Florida is???

I live here, and I am puzzled by this statement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter