Please TIP, for goodness sake.

DRR is the "Grand Floridian of EPCOT"
All DVC resorts are classified Deluxe. It is expensive both in terms of price per point (but that keeps going up and was expected) and it is also a rather point hungry resort. Its closest DVC counterpart is the Villas at The Grand Floridian.
Had you bought enough points for 1 week per year there (VGF) when it opened, its right in line with buying enough points for one week at DRR (adjusted for inflation)
Interesting. I don't follow DVC that closely but I remember the early discussions were that it would be a moderate level resort, given its proximity to CBR and the addition of those tiny 2 person studio rooms. And why the resale restrictions then? Seems really backwards if the points costs are the same as the other DVCs.

Anyway, don't need to derail the thread on this topic.

I thought it was the first differently categorized DVC. Isn't that reflected in the point cost and resale restrictions?
It’s one of the highest point requirements per night across the dvc properties. The resale restrictions are more Disney working to restrict the resale market.

Interesting. I don't follow DVC that closely but I remember the early discussions were that it would be a moderate level resort, given its proximity to CBR and the addition of those tiny 2 person studio rooms. And why the resale restrictions then? Seems really backwards if the points costs are the same as the other DVCs.

Anyway, don't need to derail the thread on this topic.
The tower studios were added to give more options. The point requirements per night though are in line with a deluxe studio at OKW and SSR.

Re: Thread Title

261258-20.jpg

goodness.gif

After reading this thread I have been taken by a terrible doubt! I was at Flame Tree BBq back in Oct and it was raining and I had heaps of food and two trays (I soo wish DW introduced the IKEA multiple tray trolleys) and the guy at the counter offered to help, I said are you sure? Don't worry about it, he insisted. And went around with me to find the spot where my husband was! I thanked him so much I just thought he wanted to be kind. Now I'm thinking should I have tipped him? It didn't even crossed my mind 😕Sorry I'm not from the US

After reading this thread I have been taken by a terrible doubt! I was at Flame Tree BBq back in Oct and it was raining and I had heaps of food and two trays (I soo wish DW introduced the IKEA multiple tray trolleys) and the guy at the counter offered to help, I said are you sure? Don't worry about it, he insisted. And went around with me to find the spot where my husband was! I thanked him so much I just thought he wanted to be kind. Now I'm thinking should I have tipped him? It didn't even crossed my mind 😕Sorry I'm not from the US

An in-park CM like this likely wouldn't have been able to accept a tip. Quick service restaurants/roles aren't the same as table service. Non-tipped roles often can't accept any gifts/tips of monetary value. Don't stress over it.

An in-park CM like this likely wouldn't have been able to accept a tip. Quick service restaurants/roles aren't the same as table service. Non-tipped roles often can't accept any gifts/tips of monetary value. Don't stress over it.
Ah great thanks I was starting to feel guilty!! With this tipping thing it's hard to understand if someone is being nice with you for the sake of it or because they are looking for a tip!

I do plan to tip the ME driver next year. But it has got me to thinking, what are the jobs at Disney that are classified as a tipped position? I mean I am sure that if Disney could get you to tip every single cast member you came in contact with they would. The more cast members you could tip, the less cast members they would have to pay.

Do the ME drivers get paid more or less than the bus drivers to the parks? I noticed someone said they tip at Starbucks, I don't frequent there, but if I were to should I tip? What is different there than say Burger King? I do want to make sure that I do not miss anyone that I should be tipping while at Disney, but at the same time I do not want to tip to the extreme either. I remember when I was a teenager and working at grocery stores and the bag boys getting tips when they took out the customer groceries to their car. And I would think, well why didn't us cashiers get a tip as well.

I do plan to tip the ME driver next year. But it has got me to thinking, what are the jobs at Disney that are classified as a tipped position? I mean I am sure that if Disney could get you to tip every single cast member you came in contact with they would. The more cast members you could tip, the less cast members they would have to pay.

Do the ME drivers get paid more or less than the bus drivers to the parks? I noticed someone said they tip at Starbucks, I don't frequent there, but if I were to should I tip? What is different there than say Burger King? I do want to make sure that I do not miss anyone that I should be tipping while at Disney, but at the same time I do not want to tip to the extreme either. I remember when I was a teenager and working at grocery stores and the bag boys getting tips when they took out the customer groceries to their car. And I would think, well why didn't us cashiers get a tip as well.

This Disney Tourist Blog article is a pretty good overview of tipped roles at Disney. Disney legally specifies in their job position titles if a role is allowed to be tipped or not, so if you don't know and offer a non-tipped CM a tip, they are supposed to turn it down 3 times before accepting it. Retail CMs, quick service CMs, in-park entertainment & attractions CMs, and most free transportation CMs wouldn't be tipped - so if you're really impressed with them, be sure to get their name and leave a Cast Compliment for them at Guest Services or on Twitter.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/tipping-disney-world-info-faq/

This Disney Tourist Blog article is a pretty good overview of tipped roles at Disney. Disney legally specifies in their job position titles if a role is allowed to be tipped or not, so if you don't know and offer a non-tipped CM a tip, they are supposed to turn it down 3 times before accepting it. Retail CMs, quick service CMs, in-park entertainment & attractions CMs, and most free transportation CMs wouldn't be tipped - so if you're really impressed with them, be sure to get their name and leave a Cast Compliment for them at Guest Services or on Twitter.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/tipping-disney-world-info-faq/
Ok, good, thanks. It can be confusing at times, and I can really imagine it would be for overseas guest.

Let's also explain why we tip servers and not necessarily other staff. Wait staff are the only people who are paid differently. Their wages are probably a few bucks an hour. Like maybe 2.00 or even less some places. Their wages are counted in their pay. They are taxed on how much WE SHOULD be tipping, that is why there is a standard. So if the standard is 15 percent. At the end of the day they total what customers bought, be it a soda or a steak, and the total of the bill the government assumes the customer paid for that meal and didn't dine and dash, and they are taxed on that too. So if you don't tip a wait staff, you are cutting into their own pocket money, if you over tipped, that is also great, they got an increase. But these are the only people who are not paid a standard wage. The buses and pages and all those other people we tip at Disney are paid a fair wage, and yes tipping is not necessary but it is nice. And again they may have a policy that they have to pool their money. I do know that whenever I brought treats for anybody at the front desk the standard reaction was always that they would put it in the break room for all to enjoy. So it may be nice to actually know the rules, because since Mears does the Express and they are not technically disney and they are contractors they may be able to keep their tips, where as others might have to give their tips to the break room. Thank you.
So... I waited tables for about 10 years. In my experience, you are wrong about this. We were required to claim the higher of our credit card tips or 7% of the non-tax revenue for taxes. This, I think, is the real reason most wait staff do not want to move to a non-tip environment. They would pay much more in taxes as a lot of their income (especially cash tips) are often tax-free money.

So... I waited tables for about 10 years. In my experience, you are wrong about this. We were required to claim the higher of our credit card tips or 7% of the non-tax revenue for taxes. This, I think, is the real reason most wait staff do not want to move to a non-tip environment. They would pay much more in taxes as a lot of their income (especially cash tips) are often tax-free money.

I used to clean up as a sever with cash tips - especially on weekends or Friday nights. I’d have to declare all credit card tips as income, but cash was rarely declared as income. I always find it funny when people are crying about those poor servers and how little they make. Sure, it’s the case for some, but not all. Our minimum server wage here is $13.95, then we’re tipped on top of that. Not every server makes $2 an hour.

I still tip servers well, very well for good service, but people need to calm down about tipping. It’s personal. You do you, and don’t get self righteous if other people don’t do the same.

Wow! It took me awhile to read through all that transpired since this started. I don’t know where this notion that wait staff is making $2-3 per hour came from but, in Florida average wage is $10. Waitstaff average in Florida is $42K , $62K at WDW ( tips included).

Regarding Pizza Delivery (since I have so much knowledge) — between wage, tips, & mileage reimbursement I average $30/hour. $20 on a bad night, $38 on a great night. And, for those that don’t know better, $1 tips to the pizza guy went out with the ‘80’s. Nowadays, it’s $3 minimum, $5 average, and I have regulars that tip $10. It always mystifies me that some people think it’s OK to stiff delivery people. Just think a minute about how much vehicles and their maintenance costs have increased in the last 30 years. Is it even rationale that the waiter or bartender consistently make more when they aren’t beating on a vehicle to do their job (of course, I could tend bar but then I wouldn’t be able to crank Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers all night...)?

Anyways, everyone is entitled to do what’s best for them — but never doubt that all of us are being judged by others everyday of our lives. It’s simple human nature. I choose to make interactions with others as an opportunity to make someone’s day.

These threads are always good for a few laughs. I've been in enough so not going to comment on tipping practices in this one but the generalities that come across always seem to be the same. Now before anyone freaks out I'm not saying its everyone; I'm just saying it SEEMS to be a common theme:

The non-tippers explain why THEY don't tip
The tippers explain why YOU should tip.

There is a fundamental difference in the approach and the main reason these threads get so heated

Just a side note about carrying/not carrying cash. While maybe 99% of transactions can be electronic there are still some businesses that don’t except cards.

One of the best pizza places in my small town is cash only as is my dog groomer. They are small businesses and I suppose don’t want to pay merchant fees. But it’s not just small towns. I’ve been to a bar in San franciso and a restaurant in Brooklyn that were cash only.

Then there are personal transactions. Yeah, there’s Venmo or whatever but not everyone has an app or wants to use it to exchange a few bucks. One type of personal transaction where it’s really convenient to use cash is tipping.

Even if you never normally use cash you should be prepared when traveling. If you know you’ll be in situations where people are driving you and carrying bags, cleaning your room, parking your car etc make sure you have some cash! “I never carry cash” is a lousy excuse for stiffing people who are serving you.

If my dog groomer or pizza place didn’t accept cards, I would be finding similar business that would. That is crazy to me in 2020.
I am that person who never carries cash. I do keep an emergency $20 in my glove compartment just Incase I ever come across a situation where it is needed.
That being said, vacation is different, I always stop at the back before a trip and grab $150 in 1’s & 5’s. I agree, being a person who doesn’t carry cash is a poor excuse when vacationing.

Ok, good, thanks. It can be confusing at times, and I can really imagine it would be for overseas guest.
We travel regularly from the UK, where tipping is not the norm (outside of a sit down restaurant and only if you choose to) so it's totally understandable we foreigners don't know when tips are expected. After many trips we now know but spare a thought for some first time foreign visitors who are oblivious to your customs. When you come from countries where you tip for going above and beyond rather than doing the job you are paid to do, it almost seems cheeky to expect to be tipped, but please remember we don't know how your pay system works (people relying on tips to top up their salary).

It takes a while just to get used to having tax added on at the checkout, then add another 20% to the bill in restaurants, meaning we are paying a lot more than the price on the menu. It's a new mind-set for us.

BTW - we once tried to tip a Disney bus driver as he took us from OKW straight to Contemporary rather than MK bus station, for 7am ADR but he told us they are not allowed to take tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter