Please weigh in on this friendly debate with my husband...

What does 'next weekend' mean?

• the same thing as 'this weekend'

• the next weekend after this one

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

mrsklamc

<font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what
One of us thinks that "This weekend" and "next weekend" are the same thing (so as of the date of this post, June 21-22.)

One of us thinks "this weekend" is June 21-22 and "next weekend" is June 28-29.

One of us thinks that "This weekend" and "next weekend" are the same thing (so as of the date of this post, June 21-22.)

The bolded is correct.

I think "this weekend" is June 21-22 and "next weekend" is June 28-29.

Like it's this week/next week.

If it's Monday or later "next weekend" is two Saturdays from now.

If it's Saturday or Sunday, "next weekend" is six days from now (and "this weekend" is like, right now).

For June 21-22, I would say "this weekend". DBF would say "next weekend". We've had many an argument of this. lol

If "next weekend" means this coming weekend, what does "this weekend" mean?

DW and I have this discussion about what "few" means. She grew up believing "few" means "2 or more," so she'll often say "few" instead of "a couple." So when she asks me to pick up a few tomatoes from the store, for example, I have to ask her does she mean her definition of "few," or everybody else's definition of "few." Which she thinks is less than magical of me. pixiedust:

Funny how this is a topic that couples often debate....there was a thread just like this not too long ago. :scratchin

For the record, June 21 is this weekend, June 28 is next weekend.

Didn't we just have this same debate a couple of weeks ago?

I say next is the 28th-29th.

I don't think this is a debate that will ever be won. DH and I have the same issue. June 21 and 22 is "this weekend" to me and to most. The 22nd is also DS11's b-day :goodvibes. However, DH considers it to be "next weekend" :confused3 It drives me nuts!

DW and I have this discussion about what "few" means. She grew up believing "few" means "2 or more," so she'll often say "few" instead of "a couple." So when she asks me to pick up a few tomatoes from the store, for example, I have to ask her does she mean her definition of "few," or everybody else's definition of "few." Which she thinks is less than magical of me. pixiedust:

:rotfl:

When I was in radio and writing advertising copy this was a big issue (not as big as 12A is 12 midnight but I digress... :lmao: )

Once ads started on the Monday before the weekend event we had to change the wording of the ad to 'THIS weekend' On the Broadcast Calendar, everything is Mon-Sunday so the last two days of the week belong to the same week. If we were advertising something after the Sunday of that week, it was 'NEXT weekend'.

If you think fussing with your hubby about his was a bit much, try explaining this to countless copy people, interns and djs over the course of 30 years! :lmao:

If it's Monday or later "next weekend" is two Saturdays from now.

If it's Saturday or Sunday, "next weekend" is six days from now (and "this weekend" is like, right now).

Exactly! But I drawn my boundaries at Monday...so Sat/Sun/Mon, next weekend is the following. Tues on - next weekend is 2 weekends away.

I am nearly positive I started a thread a few years back about this exact same thing, I even looked to see if it had been bumped up :lmao:

My DH does the same thing and it drives me batty

Next
1 (Of a time or season) coming immediately after the time of writing or speaking.
2. Coming immediately after the present one.

What is the weekend coming immediately after the time of writing on June 16th? It's June 21-22.
On June 21, we will be in a weekend at that time. So what is the weekend coming immediately after the Present one? It would be June 28th and 29th.

So sometimes this weekend and next weekend are one in the same, and sometimes they aren't.

That said, the usage of this to refer to the upcoming weekend and next to refer to the one after that has crept into usage over the years, is widespread. Also, the closer one is to the weekend, the more likely people are to use this weekend to refer to the upcoming weekend and next weekend to refer to the one after that. Seeing as how it is always up to the speaker to convey exactly what they mean, when referring to next weekend, don't leave it to the listener or reader to guess whether you mean the upcoming weekend or the one after that. Make it clear. So again, sometimes this weekend and next weekend are one in the same and sometimes they aren't.

You'll see the same idea on a freeway. A billboard say 5 miles from the first upcoming exit will often advertise a place of business and say "next exit." Well it means that first exit. If that same billboard were say at an exit, it will often advertise and say Next exit meaning not this one that you're right up on already at the moment, but the next one. Or for example, you might come across a sign in Georgia that says Cartersville, next 4 exits, That means the first 4 exits you come to, not skip one and then the next 4.

I voted 'same as'.
But, could go either way.

I think most of the time this weekend and next weekend would be interchangeable to me.

Now, if it is later in the week, like Thursday... I might say, "Let's do xxxxxxxxx NEXT weekend, if it might not be convenient or possible to do it 'this' weekend.

Could really go either way. though.
A semantics thing!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter