Plus sized questions

lalasmama

DIS Veteran
I know we've discussed ride fit for people of size. This is asking those lines, but...

How about some experiences for the 400-pound park-goers? Especially those under 6' tall?

Trying to figure out how to plan best for what may be less able to be ridden (and avoiding any possible embarrassment!). I've waded through the last several threads on the subject and not found much mentioning of someone similar sized.

My two biggest-looming questions are any actual (known) weight limits? And anyone know where a scooter can be rented for a person with a higher weight limit? I found one that goes up to 400 pounds, but that's the highest I found.

Thanks for understanding this sensitive topic!

I had weight loss surgery 4 months ago, but went to Disneyland at my highest weight of 363 and I am 5’5.

I struggled with goofys sky school and space mountain was very uncomfortable.

I know we've discussed ride fit for people of size. This is asking those lines, but...

How about some experiences for the 400-pound park-goers? Especially those under 6' tall?

Trying to figure out how to plan best for what may be less able to be ridden (and avoiding any possible embarrassment!). I've waded through the last several threads on the subject and not found much mentioning of someone similar sized.

My two biggest-looming questions are any actual (known) weight limits? And anyone know where a scooter can be rented for a person with a higher weight limit? I found one that goes up to 400 pounds, but that's the highest I found.

Thanks for understanding this sensitive topic!

One Stop Mobility has one that goes to 500 pounds.

Deckerts comes highly recommended— not sure about 400+.

No rides have a stated weight limit outright.

Everyone’s shape/experience will be different, but we tend to avoid Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Star Tours (fits but not comfy width wise), Gadget Go coaster. Lastly, Indy throws larger people around and into the restraints/ride vehicle sides pretty intensely.

Best trick for the rides with seatbelts is pull the seatbelt all the way out while you’re still standing. While standing, buckle it, then sit down. Soo much easier.

I've rented from A Scooter 4 U for the past 2 years. They have one that accommodates up to 500 lbs.

https://www.rentmobilityscooter.com/mobility-scooter-rentals/
They are able to leave the scooters at the front desk if it'll be stored indoors. If the hotel requires it be left outdoors, they'll meet you at your hotel. I call after leaving the airport, and they've always been right there to meet me at the hotel when I arrive, so it's not an inconvenience to me at all, if needed.

All I've really seen is that on It's a Small World and Pirates they do a once over to estimate how much total weight and weight balance there needs to be. I've been on Pirates where it was literally myself and my 2 YO in the front row, and then two guys weighing around 400 lbs each in the back and middle rows.

Obviously CMs are trained to determine if someone can be properly restrained in a ride. It wasn't at Disneyland, but I've been on amusement rides where riders were told they just didn't fit in the restraints. As far as I could tell they didn't take it personally. And I'd hope they wouldn't take it personally after the New Texas Giant fatality.

If you think you'll want/need more time to load into/unload from the ride vehicle (e.g. Space Mt., RSR), just ask a CM about the HC loading area/vehicle. You'll have as much time as you need there, without the pressure of the timer of the regular loading system.

The rides that I believe would be the hardest is Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Tea Cups, and Nemo. Most other rides you will be ok as a single rider in a car or maybe with someone really small with you. One thing that kind of hurts me as a bigger person is the reaction I get one people have to sit next to me. I understand they are upset if I am coming into their seats but I always try not to or sit between my on family members. Some rides do use single rider to fill sits so there is a chance you could be sat next to someone else so do your best to mentally prepare yourself for it. Otherwise we go to Disney because they are Fat people friendly. Have a great time.

For me Space is very hard, the belt probably latches in the last latch, but its the leg room that is mostly a problem. I always load in the disabled loading, I never have an issue,

Star Tours is only iffy since its hard for me to latch the belt. I usually have whoever is with me help with that.

I do not get on splash anymore, I just can't get out once I am in. I have space, I sit in the very back, but I'm so rushed and stressed and cant get traction with my shoes to get up.

I won't even try the rockets or autopia. Autopia is too low for me. (i have a herniated disc and a torn meniscus on top of being far too big).

I haven't done Goofys either since I had seen warnings about the fit.

I can fit fine in Incredicoaster and everything else. I use a scooter and use disability entrance and either get a return time (at like Big Thunder) or wait in line and then load in the special loading.

I hope that helps.

One time a lady boarded ST with us and asked for some special belt. They put her in the front left seat and attached a seat belt extender for her.

Based on experience, here are the ones that can be difficult (depending on how you carry weight) and how to work around issues:
  • Star Tours
    • Ask for the transfer seat, the side opens up and makes it easier, I also just saw the PP mention they have a seat belt extender, which I did not know about).
    • Without the extender, pull the seat belt all the way out before sitting down.
  • Space Mountain
    • The easiest is ask to use the ADA car, the best bet is to ask at the exit, this gives you an unlimited amount of time to get in and out of the vehicle since they pull it off to the side, which can make all of the difference in the world.
  • Finding Nemo
    • Ask for two seats or use the alternate viewing area. Personally as of late I prefer the alternate viewing area, as the humidity and smell inside the subs gets me.
  • Matterhorn
    • As for the row with the most leg room, but be prepared the new bobsleds are very rough and you will have bruising the next day no matter your size.
  • Gadget's Go Coaster
    • It's a kiddie coaster and could possibly be doable, but it lasts all of 45 seconds, not really worth the effort.
  • Roger Rabbit
    • There is a narrow door that can be difficult for some
  • Splash Mountain
    • Sit in the very back seat
  • Indiana Jones
    • Pull the seat belt all the way out before sitting down
  • Soarin'
    • This may or may not be problematic, but again, pull the seat belt all the way out before sitting down.
  • Grizzly River Run
    • Certain seats have longer seat belts, ask the ride attendant which ones they are, best to use the ADA vehicle, which doesn't load while moving.
  • Goofy Sky School
    • This one most likely won't work
  • Jumpin' Jellyfish
    • The restraints likely won't be an issue, but it is a big jump up
  • Radiator Springs Racers
    • Ask to use the ADA load platform
    • Pull the seat belt all the way out before sitting down
  • Guardians
    • Ask for one of the wheelchair transfer seats and pull the seat belt all the way out before sitting down, you will have a much more comfortable ride, but word of warning, you will also get a lot more air time.
  • All shows with seats with arm rests
    • For some, the seats can be narrow, as for a transfer seat if you find this to be the case, the arm rest will lift up or move on one side and be far more comfortable
These are the ones that I can personally say have had issues.

I was in the mid 300's at my last visit and I'll be honest that the only ride I had a problem with, but was still able to ride, was Radiator Springs Racers. I did pull the seatbelt out before sitting down and it buckled fine, I just felt too squished in to the other riders. I was in the single-rider line, so I'm not sure if I would've had a better experience in the regular line and perhaps could've asked to not have someone next to me.

I was in the mid 300's at my last visit and I'll be honest that the only ride I had a problem with, but was still able to ride, was Radiator Springs Racers. I did pull the seatbelt out before sitting down and it buckled fine, I just felt too squished in to the other riders. I was in the single-rider line, so I'm not sure if I would've had a better experience in the regular line and perhaps could've asked to not have someone next to me.
Oh, also for Racers, ask that the seat next to you be left empty, that helps with this issue.

I agree with all the things said in earlier posts. From my experience, I always ask the CM for a seat at the end of the row on soaring as it gives me that bit more room. This last trip I went on Alice in wonderland and used the car that had the side go up on the back seat to allow easier access, just ask the CM. On Peter Pan and Dumbo I sit in the car on my own. It’s more comfortable for everyone. I love the carousel, I am happy to sit on the bench seat.

Has anyone had any issues with ROTR, either the queue or the ride vehicle? Or anything else associated with the new ride? (No spoilers, please!)

Has anyone had any issues with ROTR, either the queue or the ride vehicle? Or anything else associated with the new ride? (No spoilers, please!)

I'm on a plus size Facebook disney group and the only thing some people have mentioned is of they are a female size 26/28 or above or have larger hips then getting into the actual ride car but otherwise it's been fine.

I'm on a plus size Facebook disney group and the only thing some people have mentioned is of they are a female size 26/28 or above or have larger hips then getting into the actual ride car but otherwise it's been fine.
Can you post this in the ROTR Superthread? It may be very helpful for any readers there who might want to know in advance. TIA!

Splash Mountain
  • Sit in the very back seat
I got stuck in the last seat on Splash on our last trip. There is no way to get your feet back far enough underneath you in order to stand up. It was horribly embarrassing as I literally was stuck and could not get out. Took the CMs a long to to realize I just needed a hand to help get up.

I got stuck in the last seat on Splash on our last trip. There is no way to get your feet back far enough underneath you in order to stand up. It was horribly embarrassing as I literally was stuck and could not get out. Took the CMs a long to to realize I just needed a hand to help get up.
I'm so sorry that happened to you, but thank you for sharing your experience here. It might really help someone else who wouldn't have thought about it otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter