• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PNS

princesszelda

DIS Veteran
I am sure this is asked everyday but I did not see it so I thought I would ask. We will be going on a Disney Cruise to Alaska. What is a good point and shoot to take on the trip? DH has a 60D, I just want something so I can take my own pictures. I love to take pictures but I am sure my cell phone and older PNS will not work as well as a newer one.

TIA

I recently posted a thread....
If you have among the newest smart phones, and you plan to shoot auto anyway, then the smart phone will match or surpass most p&s cameras in real world results.
Though what you'd be missing for Alaska, is telephoto reach for wildlife. If you are planning landscapes and people photos, the good smart phone is a match, or better than most p&s.

If you want to shoot wildlife, then you need optical telephoto reach. The cameras that are better than the smart phone would include the Sony rx10iv, the Panasonic fz1000... those may be good places to start.

So what I usually take pictures of are the kids and family, food and then we have our port adventue one being whale watching, another is a lumberjack show and I believe we are going to do a train ride as well. I would like to be able to take my own pictures as sometimes my husband does not always get shots I would like as he is looking in a different direction.

So what I usually take pictures of are the kids and family, food and then we have our port adventue one being whale watching, another is a lumberjack show and I believe we are going to do a train ride as well. I would like to be able to take my own pictures as sometimes my husband does not always get shots I would like as he is looking in a different direction.

If you're happy with the iphone quality but want zoom for whale watch, etc, there are a number of half-decent pocket travel zooms. I'd look at the Canon SX series, the Sony HX series. The longest half-decent super zoom is the Nikon P900, which has a truly incredible reach of the equivalent of 2000mm. (In perspective, your typical dSLR with typical telephoto lenses will top out in the 300-600mm range). These cameras can give you extensive reach, but it can be very hard to actually get decent photos on the long end of the lens. And overall quality will be pretty similar to what you can get with the newest iphones, etc. Which may be just what you need.

If you want a camera with a decent telephoto range and a step up in image quality, then your options are a bit more expensive and a bit more limited.
The list is short:
Panasonic FZ1000, Panasonic FZ2500
Sony RX10iiii
Canon G3x

I'm not aware of any other models that combine a step-up in image quality along with a fairly long telephoto range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter