• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Point rental cancellation related to COVID. What would you do???

Fratthouse

DIS Veteran
Back in January of 2020, I rented points to someone in Canada for a trip in September of 2020. The trip obviously had to be cancelled because the border to Canada was closed. The contract clearly stated no refunds or changes to the reservation, but because of the unique nature of the situation, I offered to reschedule the trip for them. We rescheduled a second trip for the spring of 2021, which also had to be cancelled because the borders were still closed. At that point, I offered to bank my points into the 2022 UY and to book a trip for them anytime in 2022, which they agreed to. Now I just received an email saying they want to cancel due to new restrictions related to the Omicron variant and are expecting a refund.

I'm not sure the best course of action. I want to be fair, but have also spent a pretty extensive amount of time on this renter's contract (researching availability, writing multiple contracts, ongoing communication regarding booking, and now potentially re-listing and having to re-rent the points). I'm thinking of offering a refund once I'm able to rent the points out, but charging a 20% cancellation fee to offset my time invested in this reservation (would be around $350). I realize this cancellation isn't the renter's fault, but they also were the ones who assumed the risk by signing a non-cancellable / changeable contract and chose not to get trip insurance. Does 20% seem like too much for a cancellation fee? Is there something else I should be thinking about?

**I researched current Canada border restrictions. Non-essential travel is not recommended, but doesn't appear to be "banned." They could potentially require a quarantine period upon return, however. The wording of this was vague - referenced it be up to the border agent upon your return. So travel is possible, but could be highly disruptive for the renter at this time.

I chose to do a couple of refunds because of the concern of traveling to WDW during the pandemic. Not saying it's a must but that was the decision that made me feel best. If your points are valid for most of 2022 I'd choose to do the same and re-rent. Lots of people who have been continually going.

FYI -my contract states I will attempt to reschedule if the resorts are closed. Nothing about changing their mind. Or that if it's not possible to reschedule that I'll refund. Oh - and those were the rentals I also had the most time into for various reasons. One was quite large and the other small.

Travel from Canada is not banned. In fact, it wasn't last year either. My friend in Winnipeg left during the 2021 Winter and returned to Canada in the Spring. Except for the inconvenience of having to get a PCR test within 3 days of entering Canada, he had no issues.

I'd suggest you tell the renter that you'll consider an 80% refund IF you can re-rent the points, a very generous offer considering the no-refund policy in the contract.

I'd probably do my best to help IF you are able to re-rent. No reason for you to bear the loss if you don't have the time remaining on the points. I did do a refund on a small rental at the beginning of the (actual) closures, but there was no reason for them to believe the refund was expected. I was able to rent the points later and was out nothing but time and effort. 20% 'restocking fee' seems very reasonable given the time you have already devoted to it.

If you don’t have a financial penalty I’d Probably not charge a fee. It’s a once in a lifetime pandemic we are all still feeling out and Canada is making their citizens much fearful than USA. But any future contracts I’d say no refunds for any reason, strongly recommend renter gets travel insurance etc as any new bookings they should no what the obstacles are.

IMO, you have already gone above and beyond for these renters. I would simply let them know that the points are theirs and you will work to reschedule but no refund….which was what they originally agreed to in the first place.

Or. If you do rent to others, refund all but the fee and I think 20% is more than fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: cm8
Id not refund a dime at this point, re rent or not. You went above and beyond to try and help them, even banking your points into another UY to accommodate them.

I am Canadian … travel is not banned, though travel medical insurance etc may be affected now that the government has implemented the travel level 3 advisory (avoid non essential travel) which is a deterrent. Coming from the US, there is no quarantine required for fully vaccinated Canadians. They may be selected for a random test on arrival but they do not have to isolate while waiting for the results (whereas if you are coming from any country other than the US, you DO have to isolate if selected for this random test).

Anyway, I’d say you have been more than fair. I would offer to re-rent the points, less a fee for the amount of time you’ve put into it thus far. If they expire and you are unable to re rent the points then I would not offer a refund.

I am Canadian … travel is not banned, though travel medical insurance etc may be affected now that the government has implemented the travel level 3 advisory (avoid non essential travel) which is a deterrent. Coming from the US, there is no quarantine required for fully vaccinated Canadians. They may be selected for a random test on arrival but they do not have to isolate while waiting for the results (whereas if you are coming from any country other than the US, you DO have to isolate if selected for this random test).

Anyway, I’d say you have been more than fair. I would offer to re-rent the points, less a fee for the amount of time you’ve put into it thus far. If they expire and you are unable to re rent the points then I would not offer a refund.
Canadian too here , and I think also that your offer is fair.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your responses - especially those of you in Canada who are familiar with the current travel restrictions. I offered to give a refund of 80% if I'm able to re-rent the points (hopefully won't be a problem since they are good through 1/31/2023). The renter seemed happy and appreciative with this offer, so it seems to have a happy ending for everyone. Thanks again for your feedback!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter