• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Point Tracker for Mac

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
Are there any point trackers that work with Apple's? I have been using two on my windows desktop, but I have a new laptop that I would lover to convert everything to. I am betting the answer is no, but thought I would ask.

You could get an emulation program like Virtual PC but unless you went for the top of the line powerbook, I doubt you'd be able to run it. I'm not aware of any of the current ones that will run on a Mac, unfortunately for me.

Hi,

On my 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, I am able to run Virtual PC and then use Caskbill's point tracker program in its current incarnation, and it is very, very nice.

However, he's hinted that future versions may not be as compatible.

I think I'll eventually have to get a dedicated PC, just to do the scattered things that can't be done on a Mac. But I don't think I could switch over -- I used a PC exclusively for a few years, but went back to the Mac. <shrug>

Dean said:
You could get an emulation program like Virtual PC but unless you went for the top of the line powerbook, I doubt you'd be able to run it. I'm not aware of any of the current ones that will run on a Mac, unfortunately for me.

Have you looked at the new online web based tracking application?

As a big supporter of all things Apple, all of this may change when they come out with the new chips. I think compatibility will become a little easier. I would bet that would be something that Apple pushes in a big way. I know with my external hard drives, for example, if I were to format them with my PC, I can use them on both the PC and my IBook, and IMac. If I format them with Apple's OS, my PC will treat it like a slice of toast. I had to format my IPod with the PC to work on all of my computers, also. I think its part snobbery, and part windows is just happy to get their stuff not to crash. I will say that Windows XP is the best they've done yet, but it did follow ME which I think crashed if you hurt it's feelings.

JeanJoe said:
Hi,

On my 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, I am able to run Virtual PC and then use Caskbill's point tracker program in its current incarnation, and it is very, very nice.

I think I'll eventually have to get a dedicated PC, just to do the scattered things that can't be done on a Mac. But I don't think I could switch over -- I used a PC exclusively for a few years, but went back to the Mac. <shrug>
The powerbooks should all do fine given enough RAM. I was referring more to the ibooks, mostly due to the usual HD size.

Duckfan-in-Chicago said:
As a big supporter of all things Apple, all of this may change when they come out with the new chips. I think compatibility will become a little easier. I would bet that would be something that Apple pushes in a big way. I know with my external hard drives, for example, if I were to format them with my PC, I can use them on both the PC and my IBook, and IMac. If I format them with Apple's OS, my PC will treat it like a slice of toast. I had to format my IPod with the PC to work on all of my computers, also. I think its part snobbery, and part windows is just happy to get their stuff not to crash. I will say that Windows XP is the best they've done yet, but it did follow ME which I think crashed if you hurt it's feelings.
Actually from what I've gathered, the new chips would run windows if configured correctly. When first announced, they were going to be dual platform. They are basically unix based now.

Actually from what I've gathered, the new chips would run windows if configured correctly.
I for one wouldn't think of mucking up a new intel chip PB by running Windoz! :badpc:

JeanJoe said:
Hi,

I have the new iBookG4, and I think it is a 1.47GHz. I will have to see what hubby and son know about Virtual PC as I am not computer literate or adventuresome enough to try something like that on my own.

I can understand why you went back to Mac. I have fallen in love with this little laptop. It is sooooo easy to use compared to Windows. Everything is easier. It is so common sensical that you sometimes can't figure things out because you expect it to be harder than it is.

I think next year on tax-free weekend and with an educational discount, I will be getting an iMac and maybe send the old Windows machine to the corner.
:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

RweTHEREyet said:
Are there any point trackers that work with Apple's? I have been using two on my windows desktop, but I have a new laptop that I would lover to convert everything to. I am betting the answer is no, but thought I would ask.
Well, it's not an automatic tracker, but I'm also a Mac user and I use an Excel Spreadsheet. I have it set up for my use year and the DVC points received/banked/borrowed=total usuable. And then I have the unit information and size that I have reserved, DVC points used, etc. along with a column for banked points and the DVC points balance. I have a place for the guests' names and vacation info...kinda nice as a journal to remember trips. Once you get the formulas set up, it works pretty nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter