Points of Interest between Orlando and Atlanta?

TandDandE

Mouseketeer
Hi Friends,

We decided to take a road trip in April that hit some areas along the way to Orlando, stay in a Disney resort for a couple days, and then drive back to North GA.

We had been in the parks in October and really don't want this trip to be about trying to cram in specific rides to feel like we got our money's worth for a couple park days. Instead, DW and DD11 want to do something on the way down, stay at a resort and ride the skyliner a bunch, swim in some Disney pools, possibly visit Blizzard Beach for a morning, visit Disney Springs, and then head back to GA after a couple/few days. No fuss or stress.

On the way down, we'll stop overnight at a something like a Hampton Inn in Gainesville, FL and the next morning, visit the butterfly rainforest room at the Museum of Natural history and then have lunch and then visit the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens then drive the last two hours to our resort for some pool time.

For the drive back to Georgia at the end of our trip, can you think of any other fun sites to stop at?

Thanks for your input,

TandDandE

Depends on where in North Ga. you are from. I live in Athens so it's usually straight up 75 for us, which doesn't have a huge amount of places to stop. We have, however, gone home up the coast. If you go that way, St. Augustine is always fun but it's going to take more than a day. Jekyll Island is also a favorite of mine and Savannah is my absolute favorite city in all of Georgia.

If you do the 75 route, it might be worth getting an Off the Beaten Path book for Georgia and find some cute little towns near or around 75. We also love Warm Springs, which is not off 75 but a cute little town with the Little White house and a cute little shopping district. My Daddy was born and raised in Manchester which is just down the road so a good deal of my youth was spent in and around Warm Spring. Calloway Gardens is also worth a stop in the area. Jimmy Carter's old homestead used to be open for tours pre-Covid but I'm not sure if it is now, Plains is not exactly on the way but the Plains/Andersonville area is worth a visit if you are into history. There is also a great state park down there that is billed as the Little Grand Canyon but it's hard to get into now days since you need to make a reservation. Along 75 a stop in the Macon area at the Air Force Museum might be fun.

Not sure this is what you're looking for. It's between Gainesville and Orlando. But I'd visit Silver Springs, just outside Ocala. It's known as Florida's first theme park. However, there's not a roller coaster or merry-go-round in sight. It's known for its scenery. And its glass bottom boats.

Depends on where in North Ga. you are from.

We're from Buford. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate your reply. I think we're going to stay pretty close to 75 on this return trip, but I love all these ideas; the Air Force museum looks promising. We also hope to do more Non-Disney road trips this summer so I'm keeping this list.

Thank you!

But I'd visit Silver Springs, just outside Ocala.

We stayed in Ocala on our trip down in October but I didn't know about these glass bottom boats closeby. I'm going to check out some YouTube videos from there tonight. Thanks for your reply!

Buc-ee's south of Macon off I-75 is now a must-stop attraction. :sad2:

Oh man, this is right up DW's alley. I'm going to stop there without giving her warning. She has friends in TX but I'm not sure she knows about this place. Thanks for the perfect suggestion friend.

There's the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins. Although its further off I-75, the National POW Museum and Andersonville National Historic Site are a good visit.

There's the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins. Although its further off I-75, the National POW Museum and Andersonville National Historic Site are a good visit.

Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't know about these and all look pretty close to my route. I appreciate your reply!

I would take a detour on I-10 to I-95 and then down to St. Augustine (oldest city in the US, founded 42 years before Jamestown and 55 years before the Mayflower).

You might stay overnight there and hit the Kennedy Space Center the next day...then the short drive over to WDW.

Since you are already going to be in gainesville try paynes prairie state park. Wild horses, alligators, birds and bison. If nothing else stop at the rest area just south of gainesville that overlooks the prairie.

Since you like the space center idea look for any launch while there. Check spaceflightnow.com.
Spacex seems to shootem off about once a week

Unfortunately none of the launches line up with my visit, but I was able to find a google calendar of upcoming launches and merge it into my own calendar. My daughter will love if we take a future drive to catch one.

Thanks for getting the idea in my head.

Check the schedule when you are actually in Orlando. Launches get moved all the time. If you do make a launch trip try playalinda beach. Just don't go to the far end.😃

Re Kennedy Space Center, check their website before going to see whether the bus tours have started running again post-Covid. Although the central area is interesting, entry isn't worth the $50+ ticket if you can't go to the Saturn and Atlantis Centers, which are awesome!
If anyone's into drag racing, Don Garlits' Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala right by the I-75-FL Turnpike junction is a good 2 hour stop too.

We took a detour to Amelia Island (stayed a few days, though) and really enjoyed it. We visited Fort Clinch and the beach, and enjoyed the quaint town.

Since you are already going to be in gainesville try paynes prairie state park. Wild horses, alligators, birds and bison. If nothing else stop at the rest area just south of gainesville that overlooks the prairie.
If anyone's into drag racing, Don Garlits' Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala right by the I-75-FL Turnpike junction is a good 2 hour stop too.

You both stole what I was going to say so I'll second those suggestions. :)

I've only done the look out at Paynes Prarie but have heard the visitors center is a good take.

Big Daddy's museum is a great take for anyone into cars.

Depends on where in North Ga. you are from. I live in Athens so it's usually straight up 75 for us, which doesn't have a huge amount of places to stop. We have, however, gone home up the coast. If you go that way, St. Augustine is always fun but it's going to take more than a day. Jekyll Island is also a favorite of mine and Savannah is my absolute favorite city in all of Georgia.

If you do the 75 route, it might be worth getting an Off the Beaten Path book for Georgia and find some cute little towns near or around 75. We also love Warm Springs, which is not off 75 but a cute little town with the Little White house and a cute little shopping district. My Daddy was born and raised in Manchester which is just down the road so a good deal of my youth was spent in and around Warm Spring. Calloway Gardens is also worth a stop in the area. Jimmy Carter's old homestead used to be open for tours pre-Covid but I'm not sure if it is now, Plains is not exactly on the way but the Plains/Andersonville area is worth a visit if you are into history. There is also a great state park down there that is billed as the Little Grand Canyon but it's hard to get into now days since you need to make a reservation. Along 75 a stop in the Macon area at the Air Force Museum might be fun.

AS a fellow Athenian, I agree with your comment about Savannah. There is tons to do there for everyone. Tybee Island is also nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter