Poke is just the best! Try this recipe.

YellowMickeyPonchos

Remember when everyone had one?
Can't wait to try it at the Kona Sushi bar! YAY!!!!!! We became addicted to Poke in Hawaii and we hate that we can't find it many places. Poke is a very common local/family dish is Hawaii and is very easy to make at home. There are so many recipes that chef Sam Choy hosts an annual contest and did a cookbook on it (which I have).

Basic recipe: You simply dice up some sushi-grade ahi tuna (or octopus, smoked marlin, or any other sushi grade fish you can find) and mix it in a bowl with a equal parts of a couple teaspoons of both sesame oil and soy sauce. Add (to taste) some finely chopped white onion or chopped green onion and either some read alea salt, 1 tsp or so toated sesame seeds or, if you can get it, crushed kukui nut (I use this). If you like spicy, you could add some julienned chilis or some chili oil.

Let it sit for about 15 minutes or so for the flavors to blend. :thumbsup2

My favorite place for it on Oahu is Ono Seafood on Kapahulu by the American Savings bank. She makes it fresh to order. On Kauai, I like the fish market in Koloa Town.

My best advice - Just don't use too much kukui nut - if you can get it. It has the highest fat content of any nut ever and may lead to digestive issues - think too many black olives..... :eek:

And, No, - I am as haole as you can get - just a hawaiian-wannbe sometimes! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter