Policies as of 5/10/22

The good thing about Disney is how many people from all kinds of states and countries and varied regulations mix together - it makes it really impossible to stand out all that much - there's going to be SOMEONE there like you. I'd say you're less likely to be given any grief for wearing a mask or not wearing a mask than at Disney. Since Florida never required masks during the pandemic, but various stores, transportation, etc did, mask-wearers and non-mask-wearers have been intermingling since day 1, which probably made both parties more tolerant and less likely to speak out.
Don't forget too - masks have been worn at Disney World far before there was Covid. I have many times over the past 15 years seen Asian visitors wearing masks, as it's more common in some Asian countries to wear masks when sick, or for pollution, and for some has become something they just automatically wear. They stood out even more when there was no pandemic...yet I never saw any get heckled for it.
I've been to Disney World on 4 trips now since they reopened from the initial pandemic lockdown (I'm a Florida resident, so it's easy for me to get there often), and have been there when there were no mask requirements except transportation, and indoor mask requirements, a total of 16 days in the parks and resorts and never saw one person comment about someone wearing a mask where not required...so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just wanted to add that we just returned. Wore KN95 masks in all stores and in essentially all ride queues and rides. Used Genie+ three days and ILL for Rise and Ratatouille. With the rising cases across the country, I'll be honest -- I did expect a bit more mask-wearing from others, but I NEVER felt shamed or anything negative from anyone for wearing a mask. We were there for two weeks and just didn't want to get sick at the start of our trip. (And, obviously, we're not in the clear yet so whether we were successful is still TBD.)

Numbers-wise, I would honestly say less than 1% of folks were wearing masks, but there were more masks at Disney than at Sea World -- honestly, I don't know if I saw a single mask that day at Sea World.

Wear one if you want or don't. But I don't think you're going to get a lick of criticism for wearing one.

Last edited:
You do what’s comfortable for you.

When my family and I went in September universal had just lifted mask mandate for everywhere. Disney had just reinstated inside.
I am someone who is very cautious and still wears masks today (especially given the entertainment industry we still test daily).

I was getting very anxious. Then it turns out I want the only one who felt anxious, and many people at universal wore them inside. Many people outside at both resorts wore them.

You do you. I recommend getting mask lanyards (get a six pack on Amazon for like $9 and you can wash them!) because that’s what helped me the most. If we approached a building or didn’t feel comfortable, immediately had it at my disposal ready to go and not fidgeting through pockets or bags.

Always bring extras with you, especially for water rides. I got soaked on Dudley do right and switched from cloth to surgical for the rest of the day. Animal Kingdom I felt most comfortable in a surgical because as we all know for some reason that is the most humid theme park on the face of the earth.

Also? Something interesting I discovered at both parks was we’ve gotten so used to having to put them on after walking through a parking lot to go inside to a store or restaurant that most people did it automatically no questions asked.

No one should bother you about it. And if for some reason they do alert the nearest CM or TM or staff. You do you.

Have a safe-and above all FUN-trip

Glad to hear there isn't much heckling... not sure how long I'll manage with a mask in July, but the plan is to keep masking up where I would at home.

You do you. I recommend getting mask lanyards (get a six pack on Amazon for like $9 and you can wash them!) because that’s what helped me the most. If we approached a building or didn’t feel comfortable, immediately had it at my disposal ready to go and not fidgeting through pockets or bags.
Double recommendation on the mask lanyards! Wore them the whole time and made things much easier.

We are here now.and essentially only DH and I are wearing masks indoors and in crowds outside. Nobody has said anything that I am aware of.

I went to the UK about a month ago right after they dropped everything. I think most of the people wearing masks were tourists like us. We had to test negative to get back to the US. I was sweating out my nephew because he took lots of Tube rides by Himself (and sometimes think he was just wearing his cloth mask), while we were there and he started getting sick right before we were to head home, but he tested negative yet even sicker when we got home but tested and tested negative so doc told him he picked up a regular old cold. Like another poster said, don’t worry about what others might say, you won’t ever see them again, don’t need to explain yourself to anyone who would be so rude as to comment negatively. I used to travel 200k per year on business and can tell you LONG before Covid people were wearing masks all over Asia. Once you’ve been stuck in a massively packed subway over there you know why. Prevents colds, etc. So do your thing. We’re going in November and even though we’re jabbed 4 times and By then will have our flu shots too we will wear for just this reason. Don’t want to get any type of sick, haven’t had anything for over 2 years now! Also another vote for the mask lanyards, we love ours!

We just got back and agree there was not a lot of mask wearing at all- including us. And we got Covid so def recommend wearing masks to be extra careful!

I would also just add that in addition to masks another option to help mitigate your exposure beyond the obvious of not eating indoors, etc, is to buy Genie+ and the Individual Lightning Lanes. I'm very against this whole new system (although I'm even more against the park reservation/lack of hopping -- HORRIBLE), but for this trip, we knew we were going to eat in our room and we agreed to eat only a few meals outside and limit our souvenir spending and shift that money to the Genie and ILL's. It kept us in lines for less time than normal and made us feel better about the situation. It wasn't cheap for our party of 9 and we didn't do it every day, but for the four days that we used the system (out of ten days in Disney parks) and for the three rides we ILL'd, it was extremely beneficial.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter