• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Policy about filming in the Parks

dragitoff

DIS Veteran
I'm really note sure where to post this, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place, but I was trying to find out what is Disney's policy regarding filming in the theme parks as well as common areas such as Disney Springs or the Boardwalk area. I'm an Alabama realtor that just got my Florida license and I'll be specializing in investment properties in Florida. My marketing team and I are heading down to Orlando to do some video and photography content for my websites and social media sites this weekend. Some of our storyboard ideas would require us to film B roll footage as well short vignettes of me talking on mic about how the investments and theme parks tie together cohesively. Obviously, I know people take videos and pictures in the parks all the time, as well as sites such as this have content they share with those of us who love anything and everything Disney. Despite that, I couldn't find anything specifically regarding Disney's policy against such filming; however, I know they have to have a corporate policy of some kind against it or at least rules regarding it. The only thing I could find was talking about certain tripods that are too tall and of course the selfie stick rule. Neither would apply to us, but I'd rather comply with the rules and rewrite our scripts and storyboard ideas accordingly than have to edit those shots or videos after the fact because we unknowingly violated a company policy.

On the Walt Disney World Resort Property Rules page, under the Prohibited Activities section, is this sentence:
  • Photography, videotaping or recording of any kind, or otherwise engaging in any activity, for unapproved commercial purposes.
I suppose you could try contacting Disney for approval if you'd really like to pursue it.

I work as a digital marketing consultant and I would strongly advise against this, and your marketing team should have known this is against Disney Rules.

Filming for personal no commercial use ie, when you go with your family and you film yourself walking down Main Street and put it on YouTube is allowed because you are not using the footage to sell something, you are basically giving Disney free promo.

The YouTube Vloggers who film in the parks are allowed because what they are doing is in essence promoting Disney. They help to sell merchandise or food or various experiences in the park.

What you want to do is very different. You want to use the Disney brand to promote your business. That is not allowed, and I would strongly advise you not to use any images or footage taken on Disney property on your website or social media. Your marketing team is giving you bad advice by even storyboarding ideas for on Disney property content. You are opening yourself up to copyright lawsuits if you use content on your social media or website which has not been authorised by Disney.

I work as a digital marketing consultant and I would strongly advise against this, and your marketing team should have known this is against Disney Rules.

Filming for personal no commercial use ie, when you go with your family and you film yourself walking down Main Street and put it on YouTube is allowed because you are not using the footage to sell something, you are basically giving Disney free promo.

The YouTube Vloggers who film in the parks are allowed because what they are doing is in essence promoting Disney. They help to sell merchandise or food or various experiences in the park.

What you want to do is very different. You want to use the Disney brand to promote your business. That is not allowed, and I would strongly advise you not to use any images or footage taken on Disney property on your website or social media. Your marketing team is giving you bad advice by even storyboarding ideas for on Disney property content. You are opening yourself up to copyright lawsuits if you use content on your social media or website which has not been authorised by Disney.

It was truthfully my idea and I'm not going to do anything illegal or even grey areas. My marketing team is local to my Alabama-based business so they've not had experience previously with Disney. That's why I had posed this here. I wanted to know if someone had better clarification of what was allowed. I've actually reached out directly to Disney for an opportunity to gain permission. If we can't, then we won't film there. The angle of what we're shooting would be mutually promotional. The video ideas we were interested in gathering would be reasons people love Disney and would highlight various things about Disney such as food, attractions, experiences, etc. Obviously the implied relationship to investors is that people love Disney for the reasons shown and they come to the parks. Hopefully, I'll hear from them soon on it. Thank you for the concern, but I assure you, I'm not going to do anything that would violate any policies or rules. I just want 100% clarification from them since even vloggers that promote Disney often are financially gaining from it. They have viewers/subscribers that pay for content either through clicks or premium services such as Patreon. It's all monetized. I just need to understand where those lines are definitively drawn. I'm an AP holder and a huge Disney fan first and foremost. I respect the rules and traditions to be sure.

Yeah, I just watched a blogger you tube video the other night that said you have to get written permission to film anything at Disney (like a movie, commercial or advertising of any kind) Sounded like it is strictly forbidden.

Yeah, I just watched a blogger you tube video the other night that said you have to get written permission to film anything at Disney (like a movie, commercial or advertising of any kind) Sounded like it is strictly forbidden.

We've got plenty of great ideas that don't require any filming on Disney property and are already approved so if they don't grant permission, we'll still have tons of outstanding content. We'll see what they say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter