Policy change Oceaneer Club and Lab

That is what I basically said, but also included that 6th is elementary in a lot of places too.
Yes it is. I think I tried to quote the post above but hit yours. You are spot on. Recovering from a cold and so my head is just not working.

Yall should take a look at this:
Interesting! Id say I’m firmly on the side that our kids can do so much on their own if we allow them to- and that’s even young for me, haha! But good for them! I love the point that our kids are anxious and depressed because they aren’t allowed to be independent. Maybe some truth to that.

My 7th grader rides his bike to swim practice because I can’t get him there in time. He rides to my school (close, maybe a half mile or so), swaps his backpack for his swim bag in my car and then rides the 1.5 miles to swim. Today it was POURING rain, although had slowed to a steady drizzle when he got out. I have my prep at the end of the day so I offered to run him over- he’s like nah, I’m good. He loves his independence. I did ask him to text me when he gets there, which he does not usually do. Meanwhile the group chat is blowing up with parents asking if there is practice! This is fairly high level swimming- so no one is new to this! Yes! There’s no lightning- hasn’t been any all day!

And do you know what would have happened had my parents caught me doing ANY of the things you mentioned? I'd never do it because of knowing the wrath I would have received. Today that punishment would, sadly, be considered child abuse.
I've never seen any of that behavior on our 30 cruises. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it. I don't think kids today are any worse than kids of the past regarding the things mentioned in pp. They may get in less trouble because they never leave their virtual worlds....of course that causes a whole other kind of problem.

I've never seen any of that behavior on our 30 cruises. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it. I don't think kids today are any worse than kids of the past regarding the things mentioned in pp. They may get in less trouble because they never leave their virtual worlds....of course that causes a whole other kind of problem.
I definitely have. Reports on our last two cruises of magnets being stolen and pins not being 'traded,' just taken. Two cruises ago definitely had a group of kids running up and down the hall (and we could hear them talking/yelling so knew they were kids). Pretty sure it was also them that drew the phallic drawing on the elevator lobby wall. :sad2:

Not trying to discount your experience, and I'm glad you've not seen that behavior. Just adding my $0.2 that I definitely have.

There was a pin trading board on the cabin door of the stateroom next door to us on our last cruise. It was full when the cruise started. As the cruise went on, it got emptier and emptier. Is it possible that the occupants were pulling off pins they liked that were traded? I guess. Or it could have been thieves.

Where we live 5th grad is in middle school. 5-8 grades.
The town I grew up in middle school was flexible. It was either 6-7-8th grades or 7-8-9th grades, depending on where the pupil load was.

Where I live now, no middle school, elementary is K-6, Jr High 7-8, and high school 9-12.

There was a pin trading board on the cabin door of the stateroom next door to us on our last cruise. It was full when the cruise started. As the cruise went on, it got emptier and emptier. Is it possible that the occupants were pulling off pins they liked that were traded? I guess. Or it could have been thieves.
It's possible. I know on my cruises people commented in the social media group that pins were being taken off their board without others being given. But in the situation you describe, I guess you don't know for sure if it's thieves or people just removing the ones they want to keep/not trade.

I definitely have. Reports on our last two cruises of magnets being stolen and pins not being 'traded,' just taken. Two cruises ago definitely had a group of kids running up and down the hall (and we could hear them talking/yelling so knew they were kids). Pretty sure it was also them that drew the phallic drawing on the elevator lobby wall. :sad2:

Not trying to discount your experience, and I'm glad you've not seen that behavior. Just adding my $0.2 that I definitely have.
I'm not sure how that is relevant to the age change in the Club.

I'm not sure how that is relevant to the age change in the Club.
It's not.

It is relevant to the comment you made (that I directly responded to) that you've never seen "that type" of behavior on a cruise before.

Wasn't it hashed out earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another)? There is no consistent definition of what grades constitute "middle school" in the US education system. My own local community has K-8 then High School. Technically no middle school.
The School my kids are in are 3-12. The 3-5th grades are considered elementary. I read on multiple threads that there are many ways to figure middle school. That was the first person I had seen that put 5th grade in Middle School. It was an unusual comment I wanted to know where it was and if it was in a public or private.

Well there goes the allure of a Disney Cruise. We loved being able to drop our kids off at the kids club while we got some adult time. No way am I leaving my 11 year old at a kids club where he can just walk out. Our five year old ran away from us on our last cruise and was lost for 30 minutes. She went up five floors and halfway across the ship before we found her just standing in a hallway of staterooms. Not a single cast member noticed her or would help us. Which means no one is looking out for an 11 year old wandering around a ship full of strangers (read potential pedophiles). We also found out that no, they won’t even check cameras for your kid.
We recently learned that if a child is lost they will bring them to kids club and call the parent from there.

That does not happen where I live in Washington. I have not heard of a public school in the states with middle school that starts in 5th. Sometimes is K-8, or 6 (7)-8 (9). Where do you live?
I’m in AZ and grew up in central Phoenix in the Madison school district. It was and still is 5-8. I live in Scottsdale now- 20 minutes or so from where I grew up and our district is 6-8. The district between us is in Phoenix is just 7-8. There are 58 public school districts in the Greater Phoenix area (thanks Google) so it varies wildly I teach at a school in Scottsdale and we occasionally have kids switch after 5th to the neighboring district less than a mile away to have 6th in elementary. We have school choice so as long as it’s not full, you can go to any school you want.

I’m in AZ and grew up in central Phoenix in the Madison school district. It was and still is 5-8. I live in Scottsdale now- 20 minutes or so from where I grew up and our district is 6-8. The district between us is in Phoenix is just 7-8. There are 58 public school districts in the Greater Phoenix area (thanks Google) so it varies wildly I teach at a school in Scottsdale and we occasionally have kids switch after 5th to the neighboring district less than a mile away to have 6th in elementary. We have school choice so as long as it’s not full, you can go to any school you want.
Thanks. It's always interesting to know what the rest of the states are doing.

It's possible. I know on my cruises people commented in the social media group that pins were being taken off their board without others being given. But in the situation you describe, I guess you don't know for sure if it's thieves or people just removing the ones they want to keep/not trade.
I also wouldn’t be so quick to blame kids (though it could be teens), there are a lot of adults who think the “leave a pin” is just a suggestion and taking a pin is fine. I also suspect the kids getting into mischief were unlikely to be going to the clubs in the first place— a too cool for school mindset, if you will.

FWIW, on our 7 day fantasy sailing, almost all pin boards were bare by day 5 (we walked all over trying to complete a collection), and some had notes out saying “sorry, all our pins were stolen.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter