Poll about Disaster Closing

What is your reaction to Disaster leaving?

• It was time for it to go.

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • I wish it would have stayed.

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters

damo

Proud Redhead
Now that Disaster is closed and Fast and Furious is going to be replacing it, (no real details on the replacement....all just speculation at this point...) how do you feel?

Time for it to go for me........no real love for it at all........

Last few years we have just walked past it every day we were there........

Not a fan of F&F either, but looking forward to what Universal will do with it......

We did it a few times when it was Earthquake - and only once right after it was refurb'd into Disaster.

Also not a fan of F&F, but I'll take it. Even if it doesn't draw me in repeatedly, hopefully it will be popular enough to draw plenty of others.

I am feeling nostalgic and think they should keep it..Not many originals left in the park and this is a people mover .Sad to see it go..i am also not a fan of fast and furious

I always felt they didn't do enough to make people aware of Christopher Walken's presence in "Disaster." I made my final visit to the attraction last month, and liked it a lot--also liked it back when it was Earthquake. It was pretty much the last attraction at Universal that covered some of the mechanics of putting together a movie scene. Not sure why Disaster gets the boot while Bill Paxton's monotone goes on and on.....ah well.

Bill Paxton is getting the boot also.

... the monotone is bad, but the way he tries to channel his inner-John Wayne when he walks drives me crazy, almost as much as when he stands like he's leaning against an imaginary bar.

I always felt they didn't do enough to make people aware of Christopher Walken's presence in "Disaster." I made my final visit to the attraction last month, and liked it a lot--also liked it back when it was Earthquake. It was pretty much the last attraction at Universal that covered some of the mechanics of putting together a movie scene. Not sure why Disaster gets the boot while Bill Paxton's monotone goes on and on.....ah well.

At this point, E.T. and Monster Makeup show are the only opening day attractions still at the park. Likewise, over at DHS, Great Movie Ride is the only opening day attraction still around. We are seeing the final nails in the coffin of "working studios" as the theme for the parks. Which is interest given the increased activity at Universal. Large Portions of Sharknado 3 were filmed at Universal. Both as Universal Studios itself as well as some of the scenes set in Washington DC. American Ninja Warrior filmed at Universal this year as did La Voz Kids (The Voice Kids), and Impact Wrestling.

I'm of mixed emotions. Disaster (and Twister) were the last practical effect rides at Universal. I hate to lose them to rides that rely too heavily on screens. But, on the other hand, they were normally only a once per trip attraction. The Preshows were just too long.

I am feeling nostalgic and think they should keep it..Not many originals left in the park and this is a people mover .Sad to see it go..i am also not a fan of fast and furious

Disaster isn't an original either. The finale technically has been there since Day 1, but the effects have been so hit and miss and it's very outdated. The attraction took up a lot of space and was one of the least popular ones in the park. On top of that it had no merchandising potential. It's easy to see why Universal would rather have F&F there, it will likely be more popular with the general audience and will sell merchandise.

Disaster was just time filler for us, not something anyone looked forward to.

There's no doubt in my mind Universal will make an awesome attraction for F & F!! I don't think it will matter whether you are a fan or not. We're not big HP fans, but we still think the HP area's are awesome!!

It's unfortunate they can't keep the old attractions and just build new ones, but I assume there just isn't enough land and real estate is to valuable to be taken up by obsolete attractions.

The uproar in the Disney section over Disney Quest being replaced is comical IMO. Reality is that DQ is a huge building in a prime location being wasted with old obsolete attractions.

We haven't been on disaster in years. I like twister but couldn't care less if it left for something new. Hope it's not a soarin type replacement ride moving into twister. I know I'm in the minority but, soarin is garbage. Speaking of Bill Paxton, he ranks right up with Keanu Reeves as actors I can't stand. Kevin Costner sounds the same in every movie too. Although, Bull Durham is a classic! Anyway, my .02....

Last edited:
I love Disaster. I found it so much fun and a different experience every time (as far as the video, anyway), so I'm really bummed about it going. I did like Twister as well, but probably won't miss that one. I'm not a fan of Fast and Furious either. :(

This is very sad. Disaster was one of the few attractions left not largely based on a screen. Yes, its incredible what the technology can do; Spiderman and the HP rides are amazing. But does everything need to involve staring at a screen? We do that enough at home. That is one thing mom and I commented on many times over the year we had a Universal pass recently. Disney has hardly any attractions that involve screens, yet almost all of the attractions are well done and enjoyable. Disaster was a nice break back into the physical world and very enjoyable. Even the part with a screen was unique each time, and much more interesting since we had watched it being filmed.

This is very sad. Disaster was one of the few attractions left not largely based on a screen. Yes, its incredible what the technology can do; Spiderman and the HP rides are amazing. But does everything need to involve staring at a screen? We do that enough at home. That is one thing mom and I commented on many times over the year we had a Universal pass recently. Disney has hardly any attractions that involve screens, yet almost all of the attractions are well done and enjoyable. Disaster was a nice break back into the physical world and very enjoyable. Even the part with a screen was unique each time, and much more interesting since we had watched it being filmed.

At Epcot, there are tons of attractions with screens.

Soarin, Mission Space, The Seas with Nemo, Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, China, France, Canada, Captain EO, Grand Fiesta Tour in Mexico, the new Frozen attraction, Turtle Talk with Crush, Journey into Imagination.

I don't think we will ever get another ride at WDW or Universal that has no screens. All of the newer rides are going to take advantage of this technology.

Last edited:
My kids loved Disaster and were looking forward to doing it on our next trip. I'm disappointed it's not open anymore. The last time we went to US/IOA was nearly two years ago and the kids still talk about it. I haven't told them it was closed yet - waiting until they're in a good mood since that's not going to go over well with my middle child.

Have they got F&F signage up on the Disaster building already??

Oh ok.........I must have seen someone photoshop it up on Twitter........couldn't tell the difference!

Thanks.........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter