POLL: Are you considering a new or add-on purchase at The Villas at Disneyland Hotel?

Poll: Are you considering a new or add-on purchase at The Villas at Disneyland Hotel?

• Yes

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 260 74.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 40 11.5%

• Total voters
I stopped by DL yesterday to check out the new lounge. Spoke to a guide there as well as my guide at the office at VGC. They both confirmed that there had been member pushback regarding the possibility of parking charge (which is still TBD) and comments provided to their management. They were all surprised as well and thought it was stupid.

I had flip-flopped over buying and not buying. It would be nice to get a small contract to supplement our VGC points, but the significant (compared to Aulani) out-of-pocket for each stay seemed wrong for DVC.

At the moment I am on the buy side of the fence. It’s not based on financial reasons. It’s only because I love being in the bubble (I just don’t feel safe walking back to an offsite hotel at night as a solo female) and I want to own a fraction of the screw attaching the door knob to the room door 😂😂😂 And if the ToT gets too high then I suppose we would just use the points at WDW or Aulani. The high MF, well, since a small contract would be a very small percentage of our DVC portfolio, I think I can stomach that.

I voted undecided. I was all in 100% until they announced the pricing, restrictions and MFs. The parking doesn't bother me much as we usually shuttle in. I'm waiting for the member incentives, but I have the feeling they won't be great. I also can't believe (well actually I can because they've been so greedy recently) that Disney raised the price point to $230. I doubt that they will be offering large incentives, and even if you buy 500+ points, I can't see them offering more than a $40 discount, which would make points $190. I think I am better off staying at the Westin and catching an uber as others have suggested....but I love staying in the Disney bubble. I am definitely late to the Disney DVC game and the great pricing, savings and incentives are completely gone. I don't know if I want to own VDH for 50 years with prices set to rise substantially (MFs and ToT) each year.

I stopped by DL yesterday to check out the new lounge. Spoke to a guide there as well as my guide at the office at VGC. They both confirmed that there had been member pushback regarding the possibility of parking charge (which is still TBD) and comments provided to their management. They were all surprised as well and thought it was stupid.

I had flip-flopped over buying and not buying. It would be nice to get a small contract to supplement our VGC points, but the significant (compared to Aulani) out-of-pocket for each stay seemed wrong for DVC.

At the moment I am on the buy side of the fence. It’s not based on financial reasons. It’s only because I love being in the bubble (I just don’t feel safe walking back to an offsite hotel at night as a solo female) and I want to own a fraction of the screw attaching the door knob to the room door 😂😂😂 And if the ToT gets too high then I suppose we would just use the points at WDW or Aulani. The high MF, well, since a small contract would be a very small percentage of our DVC portfolio, I think I can stomach that.

I too am of the bubble mentality, but the calculus in my head right now is... is it worth (a) purchasing at such a high cost ($230/pt) with (b) high dues and TOT when (c) bubble alternatives already exist such as (d) PPH, DLH, and GCH?

I think the math pencils out in favor of VDH if yes, you will absolutely stay every year 15-20+ years and all three hotels track inflation going forward.

It's also stressful to own DVC, if the VGC experience is any indication. I hate planning my DL trips 7-11 months in advance, but that's necessary.

I guess ultimate questions are... a) What am I actually going to be doing 7-10 years from now and b) Even if I end up paying more, is it less stressful and a better experience to pay as you go with cash stays on-site? That's what is muddled for me.

For me the transient tax is a no go. We own at VGC, but I might have considered a few extra points at the right price. I bought VGC toward the end of the first year it went on sale, and I remember the guides telling me that they initially thought it would sell out immediately and were surprised with how long it was taking. It was during a tough time in the economy if I remember right. I got my points in the low to mid 90s--have to go look to get exact number and I'm too lazy, LOL. I wonder if this pricing is a little overly optimistic with the current state of the economy. I guess we shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised to see sales not be stellar due to the price, the transient tax, and the economy.

I too am of the bubble mentality, but the calculus in my head right now is... is it worth (a) purchasing at such a high cost ($230/pt) with (b) high dues and TOT when (c) bubble alternatives already exist such as (d) PPH, DLH, and GCH?

I think the math pencils out in favor of VDH if yes, you will absolutely stay every year 15-20+ years and all three hotels track inflation going forward.

It's also stressful to own DVC, if the VGC experience is any indication. I hate planning my DL trips 7-11 months in advance, but that's necessary.

I guess ultimate questions are... a) What am I actually going to be doing 7-10 years from now and b) Even if I end up paying more, is it less stressful and a better experience to pay as you go with cash stays on-site? That's what is muddled for me.
This, right here, is exactly our thinking. We had Dream Keys from 21-22, but the stress of needing to get reservations far in advance was annoying and we decided we’d just take fewer trips with day tickets and spend more time skiing this year.

Please feel free to comment on my post. I would appreciate any feedback.

I have been saving to purchase points at VDH since the tower was announced. We live close, but enjoy stay-cations at the Park. We prefer the VGC, but as the resale points were expensive and Disney has so many restrictions on resale points, I have been holding off.

I expected the high per-point price. I actually budgeted for 300 points, expecting Disney to charge nearly $300/per point (given the resale price of VGC). I was excited when rumours came back that the price would be closer to $230 and the contract would still be 50 years. (I have a 40 year BCV contract).

300 points will give me flexibility to use the points or to even rent some points to cover my dues.

I didn't buy into CCV because the annual dues were so high. But, Disney seems to be raising all the dues to nearly $9.00, so I guess I am not surprised that the VDH are starting so high. My feeling is, they won't be going up much in the near future.

I hate losing parking as I will be driving there. The Transient Occupancy Tax is also upsetting. Does anyone else believe that this ToT will make points more difficult to rent?

I was hoping to pick up an affordable VGC resale contract after the DLH Tower went on sale, anticipating that folks would abandon their VGC for the bright, new hotel. The opposite has happened. All the VGC resale contracts were snapped up as soon as Disney made the disastrous price announcement on the VDH and now RESALE contracts on the VGC are $335/point!

I am so angry at Disney right now for this debacle. I have the money sitting in my account and I just cannot get off the fence. If you have read this far in my post, may I say 'thank you'. I would really appreciate any opinions.

I have been saving to purchase points at VDH since the tower was announced. We live close, but enjoy stay-cations at the Park. We prefer the VGC, but as the resale points were expensive and Disney has so many restrictions on resale points, I have been holding off.

I expected the high per-point price. I actually budgeted for 300 points, expecting Disney to charge nearly $300/per point (given the resale price of VGC). I was excited when rumours came back that the price would be closer to $230 and the contract would still be 50 years. (I have a 40 year BCV contract).

300 points will give me flexibility to use the points or to even rent some points to cover my dues.

I didn't buy into CCV because the annual dues were so high. But, Disney seems to be raising all the dues to nearly $9.00, so I guess I am not surprised that the VDH are starting so high. My feeling is, they won't be going up much in the near future.

I hate losing parking as I will be driving there. The Transient Occupancy Tax is also upsetting. Does anyone else believe that this ToT will make points more difficult to rent?

I was hoping to pick up an affordable VGC resale contract after the DLH Tower went on sale, anticipating that folks would abandon their VGC for the bright, new hotel. The opposite has happened. All the VGC resale contracts were snapped up as soon as Disney made the disastrous price announcement on the VDH and now RESALE contracts on the VGC are $335/point!

I am so angry at Disney right now for this debacle. I have the money sitting in my account and I just cannot get off the fence. If you have read this far in my post, may I say 'thank you'. I would really appreciate any opinions.

It has been confirmed that for the present time, there will be no parking fee charged for DVC stays. In terms of the TOT? It is possible that it could make a small difference in rental, but anyone wanting to stay there, even as a cash guest, still pays it...so there is no way to avoid it...other than to stay elsewhere.

Yes, I do believe it will be more difficult to rent. The pool of potential people who 1) see the benefit of staying on site, 2) don't mind spending many hundreds of dollars on a room when they will not be in that room for most of the day, 3) can afford to spend that money, and 4) know about renting DVC points is likely smaller than WDW. I haven't calculated the spread between what the hotel charges vs how much it would be to stay there as a DVC owner, but you'd need to have a good spread to tempt someone to take the risk of renting vs just booking the hotel, with its flexible cancelation and no risk. There are good neighbor hotels that are closer and more affordable. The benefit to staying on site at Disneyland just isn't the same as WDW. There will definitely be some demand in the beginning, but for the long term, it feels like a gamble to buy with the plan to rent.

The fact that people jumped over to VGC resale should give you a good insight into how people are feeling overall, keeping in mind that this is the group of people most likely to buy or want to stay there. I'd make sure that if I was buying, I was buying only for my own enjoyment and not with the hopes of renting or resale for profit. I'd have to be totally comfortable with that money being spent, and would just consider anything else icing on the cake.

We picked up 300+ points at VDH and had budgeted for $220 after incentives. The TOT tax is what it is, and unless you’re staying at GCV on DVC points you’re paying the 15%. We typically stay 3-4X a year at DLH, we’re already paying the tax. Parking for now is free. I don’t think the tax will make it hard to rent….what are your other options? Trying to get in on the 48 units at GCV on points, or paying cash rate for a room DLH/VDH/GC or anywhere off sight, and still paying the 15% TOT. Anyone who has stayed at the on site hotels, and they can afford it, knows there is a benefit to staying there. This isn’t Florida with 10+ resorts. You’ve got 3.5 on-site hotels (I’m calling paradise pier .5 because it was not an original Disney property, just a rebrand), so there are limited options for staying onsite compared to Florida. Once all this dies down, I’m sure the GCV resales will return, as what price, who knows, and as much as we’d like to snag a contract there for 300ish points, there’s no way we’re paying $300+ a point. I’ll just add on at VDH or pick up a resale VDH down the line if they stay at those prices.

We’ve turned a lot of non DVC people into renting DVC points, especially at Aulani. There is a market out there besides this niche fanatical representation that makes up Disboards.

Last edited:

I was interested in adding on at VDH as well. Instead when I heard the pricing, annual dues, and taxes I went with VGC resale.
I think most of the VGC contracts that were sold recently were to people like me who were holding out for VDH but changed their minds when the details came out.
More VGC contracts will be posted so you can see how the market plays out and where realize price settles out. I think VDH will take a while to sell out. The incentives may change slightly but that is a small portion of the total cost from all the years of dues and taxes.

We picked up 300+ points at VDH and had budgeted for $220 after incentives. The TOT tax is what it is, and unless you’re staying at GCV on DVC points you’re paying the 15%. We typically stay 3-4X a year at DLH, we’re already paying the tax. Parking for now is free. I don’t think the tax will make it hard to rent….what are your other options? Trying to get in on the 48 units at GCV on points, or paying cash rate for a room DLH/VDH/GC or anywhere off sight, and still paying the 15% TOT. Anyone who has stayed at the on site hotels, and they can afford it, knows there is a benefit to staying there. This isn’t Florida with 10+ resorts. You’ve got 3.5 on-site hotels (I’m calling paradise pier .5 because it was not an original Disney property, just a rebrand), so there are limited options for staying onsite compared to Florida. Once all this dies down, I’m sure the GCV resales will return, as what price, who knows, and as much as we’d like to snag a contract there for 300ish points, there’s no way we’re paying $300+ a point. I’ll just add on at VDH or pick up a resale VDH down the line if they stay at those prices.

We’ve turned a lot of non DVC people into renting DVC points, especially at Aulani. There is a market out there besides this niche fanatical representation that makes up Disboards.
How will they calculate the tax? Off of room rack rates? Like if a studio rack rate is $800/ night, will taxes be $120 a night at 15%? And what if taxes go up (which they will)? Isn’t the entire point of dvc to guard against inflation? Aulani is different, right? Isn’t it just a flat fee? That’s a lot of money if it’s off of rack rates.

But renting points to stay at WDW, where there are clear transportation benefits, or Aulani, where there is really no similar resort on the islands to compete with, might be a different situation than renting at Disneyland. I definitely think there will be people who want to rent there, but I don't think I'd buy extra points there with the plan of renting them out. But I am in general a very cautious person, so that might just be me.

Ok so if your stay costs 200 points, you pay like $546. That’s awful. And I’m sure it will go up. Why would they do this?
Anyone staying in Anaheim at any hotel is paying a 15% Tot tax. It could go up, who knows for sure….When Disneyland built GVC they extracted all kinds of concessions from Anaheim. One was a lower Tot tax, another was getting Anaheim to build the Mickey and friends garage to Disney at the cost of $100+ million, then leasing it to Disney for $1 a year. Disney makes $30 million+ in parking revenue off the garage, and Anaheim gets nothing (who negotiated that deal?) when Disneyland planned that huge luxury hotel about 7-8 years ago at the end of downtown Disney, they extracted a deal with Anaheim for a 70% rebate on the 15% tax. It was worth over $250 million in rebates to Disney. Disney altered the plans and moved the hotel 1000 feet, Anaheim yanked the permit, Disney cancelled the hotel and withdrew from the rebate incentives. When the VDH was approved they didn’t ask for a lower rate. That’s the readers digest version, there’s ton online if you want to read up on it. Disney has been screwing Anaheim for years. Anaheim wanted a $1 gate tax, Disney said it would lower admissions, and then raised admission costs anyways. That’s how you end up with a 15% tax rate 🤪

But renting points to stay at WDW, where there are clear transportation benefits, or Aulani, where there is really no similar resort on the islands to compete with, might be a different situation than renting at Disneyland. I definitely think there will be people who want to rent there, but I don't think I'd buy extra points there with the plan of renting them out. But I am in general a very cautious person, so that might just be me.
I’d never buy points to rent them out either, only if we found ourselves where we were in a use them or use them situation would we look at renting.

The four seasons and the Marriott on either side of Aulani are very nice and comparable, just not as family friendly, but they are very nice resorts.

I’m not sure about a transportation disadvantage at Disneyland. GVC has a private entrance to Calif Adv. and DLH is a 10 min walk through downtown Disney (or the monorail). Even Paradise pier has a private entrance to Calif Adv. that’s a 5 min walk.

Last edited:
I’d never buy points to rent them out either, only if we found ourselves where we were in a use them or use them situation would we look at renting.

The four seasons and the Marriott on either side of Aulani are very nice and comparable, just not as family friendly, but they are very nice resorts.

I’m not sure about a transportation disadvantage at Disneyland. GVC has a private entrance to Calif Adv. and DLH is a 10 min walk through downtown Disney. Even Paradise pier has a private entrance to Calif Adv. that’s a 5 min walk.
We are owners at Aulani and when the kids are a bit older they will stay with grandma at Aulani in a studio while we rent out the extra points we don’t need for our 2 bedroom and stay at the 4S next door. ☺️

Anyone staying in Anaheim at any hotel is paying a 15% Tot tax. It could go up, who knows for sure….When Disneyland built GVC they extracted all kinds of concessions from Anaheim. One was a lower Tot tax, another was getting Anaheim to build the Mickey and friends garage to Disney at the cost of $100+ million, then leasing it to Disney for $1 a year. Disney makes $30 million+ in parking revenue off the garage, and Anaheim gets nothing (who negotiated that deal?) when Disneyland planned that huge luxury hotel about 7-8 years ago at the end of downtown Disney, they extracted a deal with Anaheim for a 70% rebate on the 15% tax. It was worth over $250 million in rebates to Disney. Disney altered the plans and moved the hotel 1000 feet, Anaheim yanked the permit, Disney cancelled the hotel and withdrew from the rebate incentives. When the VDH was approved they didn’t ask for a lower rate. That’s the readers digest version, there’s ton online if you want to read up on it. Disney has been screwing Anaheim for years. Anaheim wanted a $1 gate tax, Disney said it would lower admissions, and then raised admission costs anyways. That’s how you end up with a 15% tax rate 🤪
But why did they separate it out? Florida has similar taxes but they didn’t separate them out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter