Poll - Considering a Labor Day Trip - Would You Go to WDW Now?

Would you do a WDW trip in September?

• I would go!

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • I am going!

Votes: 37 24.3%
  • No thanks, not anytime soon.

Votes: 61 40.1%

• Total voters

JoshF

Mouseketeer
I live in CA and had a trip planned for Labor Day weekend to go to Legoland with my 5 yo DS. Theme parks are closed and I want to do something fun over the long weekend. I'm considering a trip to Orlando and am on the fence if I should go.

First I'm wondering if it's worth a 5.5 hour flight for a 3 night trip.

I like the idea of the parks being less crowded and it seems like the lines will be shorter. That part appeals to me because like any 5 year old my son doesn't handle lines well.

It will be his first trip and it sounds like many of the fun Disney features are closed (fireworks, parades, meet & greets). Should I wait for his first trip until that's back online?

Wondering how it will be wearing a mask in that heat...

Is it too unsafe to go right now?

What would you do and are you considering or confirmed for a September trip?

Wouldn't go to Disney as long as the pandemic is still here. Covid19 is just as highly contagious as it was in March/April when things started closing down. We still are no closer to any kind of cure/treatment. Reopening business, schools, churches is NOT a medical solution. People can choose to be in denial, pretend it won't impact their family or talk in optimistic rhetoric, but none of that changes the reality of the current situation.

We have trips booked in December, January, and March. The ones in Jan/Dec are just my husband and I. We are waiting to see if things get better to decide if we will go or not. We definitely would not go right now, nor anytime within the next 30 days or so. If they can flatten the curve and start seeing cases going down and remaining stable, we'll make plans. December is still a possibility, but not sure. The March trip is for us and the kids. I'm hoping that there is enough time to make that one much more likely. Here's hoping for good news on a vaccine soon.

We went from Texas in mid-July, but we drove. 3 nights isn't very long. I'm not sure I would do that, especially since I am not keen on flying right now. We didn't have problems with the masks mostly. I had been wearing one for about an hour for circuit training and hot yoga, which simulated wearing a mask in Orlando for about 2 hours. A full day gets wearing at the end; however, we got more used to them as the trip went on. The parks only seem to be less crowded on the weekdays, so I would avoid weekends. We felt very safe at the resorts/parks. However, coming from Texas, we were going from one fire to another. We have been back for more than 3 weeks now and have no signs of Covid. We self-quarantined by choice for 14 days when we got back. We do have a trip planned for Thanksgiving. We will most likely go, because it's non-refundable DVC rental. We will also need to fly, so I am going to have to suck that up. With this being the first trip for your son, I would wait. We go multiple times a year, and our son is 14. We are very flexible and are used to going with the flow in Orlando. I wouldn't take someone for the first time right now though. Good luck.

I had plans to go to Disneyland over Labor Day and DVC just cancelled my reservations. If I had the money and didn't mind making the trip, yes I would go. At this point in time I'm done with being Covid's prisoner. I'm happy to be as careful as I can, wear a mask, social distance, and follow all the CDC guidelines. At this stage of the game I feel like Covid isn't going anywhere anytime soon, time to get on with CDC approved living in the Covid-19 world.

Last edited:

I had plans to go to Disneyland over Labor Day and DVC just cancelled my reservations. If I had the money and didn't mind making the trip, yes I would go. At this point in time I'm done with being Covid's prisoner. I'm happy to be as careful as I can, wear a mask, social distance, and follow all the CDC guidelines. At this stage of the game I feel like Covid isn't going anywhere anytime soon, time to get on with CDC approved living in the Covid-10 world.

I think I'm getting to the same point you are. Flights are actually under $200 at the moment.

I live in CA and had a trip planned for Labor Day weekend to go to Legoland with my 5 yo DS. Theme parks are closed and I want to do something fun over the long weekend. I'm considering a trip to Orlando and am on the fence if I should go.

First I'm wondering if it's worth a 5.5 hour flight for a 3 night trip.

I like the idea of the parks being less crowded and it seems like the lines will be shorter. That part appeals to me because like any 5 year old my son doesn't handle lines well.

It will be his first trip and it sounds like many of the fun Disney features are closed (fireworks, parades, meet & greets). Should I wait for his first trip until that's back online?

Is it too unsafe to go right now?

What would you do and are you considering or confirmed for a September trip?
I would go. Disney as it stands now is safer than going to your local grocery story IMO. My kids don’t stay up for fireworks and don’t have the patience to wait around for parades so I never felt that we were missing out on them being gone. You’re mainly outside while in the parks and spending 15-30 min indoors on the various attractions. Just be smart and go prepared

Just got home today from a week at Disney. Felt totally safe - more so than going to Costco here in Atlanta. I am not sure I would go for only 3 days - that is a long time in an airplane for a short trip.

Our son and his friends just got back a week ago. The felt very safe and had a blast. One of them even went so far as to say that he felt safer at WDW than he has in months.

My husband and I are heading down the first week in October, stopping in Hilton Head on the way down from PA. I can't wait.

All that being said, I won't minimize the risks involved. But we are diligent mask wearers, keep our distance from other people as much as possible and wash/sanitize our hands often. If we ever feel uncomfortable we will just remove ourselves from that situation and go somewhere else in the park. That was the main take-away my son had. Yes, occasionally you will see people bunched up, but it's usually easy to just walk away and find a quieter area.

Wouldn't go to Disney as long as the pandemic is still here. Covid19 is just as highly contagious as it was in March/April when things started closing down. We still are no closer to any kind of cure/treatment. Reopening business, schools, churches is NOT a medical solution. People can choose to be in denial, pretend it won't impact their family or talk in optimistic rhetoric, but none of that changes the reality of the current situation.
Genuinely curious what you think we as a society should do until a cure/treatment is developed. The cure/treatment could be over a year away. There are things we have learned about this since March so I don’t think it’s a fair thing to say we are no closer to finding a cure/treatment when treatments are actively being used every day. It’s hard to come across on the Internet as sincere but I really would like to hear your point of view.

I just got back. i thought the masks would be unbearable in the heat. It turned out I didnt really realise I was wearing it after the first hour. I felt the heat much more on my body then on my face with a mask. Flights were wonderful with the middle rows blocked so there was extra space between people and room to stretch the legs. The magic was still there. The only thing I missed was seeing the parks at night with all the pretty lights and eating dinner late (most restaurants closed at 8)

You have to do what works for you. We would fly, and I just don't want to get on a plane and travel to a hot spot during a pandemic right now. I don't want drive to a hot spot, either. I have a bad case of cabin fever but we're not doing any non-essential travel for now. A girl can plan, though.

Genuinely curious what you think we as a society should do until a cure/treatment is developed. The cure/treatment could be over a year away. There are things we have learned about this since March so I don’t think it’s a fair thing to say we are no closer to finding a cure/treatment when treatments are actively being used every day. It’s hard to come across on the Internet as sincere but I really would like to hear your point of view.

Medical professionals continue to 'try' a number of things with limited success on seriously ill patients. Even if you get a positive covid test today, there is still nothing a doctor can prescribe to you as a treatment. The early on wishful thinking and optimistic rhetoric about certain drugs never panned out. Some number of people will get seriously ill or die from this virus or recover with life-long issues. Others may never exhibit symptoms, but can still pass it along to others. Anyone can catch the virus, not just those considered 'high risk'. The OP's question related to going to Disney for a vacation. Vacations to me are optional during a pandemic, they aren't something you have to do. In this 'internet age' it seems many people are looking for instant solutions. In the case of covid19 which is impacting the entire world, there won't be any instant answers/solutions and we should all behave accordingly.

Wearing a mask in public, keeping social distance, wash hands, don't touch your face are helpful things we should all do to slow the spread of this virus, but none of those is a medical solution to this serious global pandemic.

If I could go, I would. I think Disney is doing everything possible to keep their guests safe.

5.5 hours in a plane is a long time for only 3 days so if you could squeak out another day that would be the perfect long weekend. ( For me at least ) but it's still do-able if you know you won't do and see everything. I'd get the earliest flight possible on my arrival day and the latest flight out possible on your departure day.

If this is a main reason I’d say no. There are reports of long lines at the MK on weekends. I’d imagine lines will die down after labour day weekend.

I‘d skip it and wait until there is more fun things available to do.

Many reports seem to indicate it’s not that big a deal, so that’s encouraging.
For me, I’d miss not being able to walk around and freely eat and drink.

A lot of people returning to WDW aren’t in denial at all. They understand the risk and also understand how to take the required precautions. WDW requires face mask and enforces that policy. That’s already safer than a lot of people’s homes states policies.

The value and whether or not it's worth it for *you* is only something you can decide. When the virus first hit, we cancelled all of our 2020 trips to WDW (we had 3). Then in early July, we went back and forth about going with all the concerns everyone else has and ultimately decided that we would for the sake of our mental health. It wasn't a perfect trip, but none ever are, and we are glad that we went. We felt comfortable enough that we rebooked 1 of our original trips and are almost certainly going over Labor Day weekend as well.

Here's where we ultimately ended up: yes, the pandemic is real and serious. There aren't truly effective treatments or cures. Yes, we care about our health and that of others. However, there is currently no end in sight. We have put our lives on hold for the last 5 months. We can't continue to not live. Therefore, we have decided to take all required and most recommended precautions in order to keep ourselves and others safe, but that from now on we will continue on LIVING, because we only get one life and we will no longer waste it in worry and isolation over something not a single human in the world has control over.

So if it's worth it to *you*, and if you're willing to do your best to follow health and safety guidelines, then go and have an amazing time! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter