• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll - Considering a Labor Day Trip - Would You Go to WDW Now?

Would you do a WDW trip in September?

• I would go!

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • I am going!

Votes: 37 24.3%
  • No thanks, not anytime soon.

Votes: 61 40.1%

• Total voters
I voted, "yes, go." We returned 3 weeks ago from our July trip and here is why I voted "yes."

1. We were very impressed with the safety precautions in place, especially the enforcement of masks at all times, (you can remove your mask only when you are sitting down / stationary to eat and drink). And no, it's not the same as March because we know the virus spreads through droplets, and by enforcing appropriate face coverings for everyone at all times, coupled with requiring appropriate distancing, they are minimizing the spread of said droplets.

2. While there aren't character meet and greets, the character cavalcades are a lot of fun. We usually don't wait in meet and greets so I thought the cavalcades were better.

3. There is plenty of things to do / rides to occupy 3-4 days. No parades and no fireworks, but there is so much to do for a first-timer. And there is a lot more to do than DL, even with the closed entertainment. Also, some of the cavalcades are like mini-parades and they are much more frequent. Some have dancers. Some have some of the parade floats (Tinkerbell's in MK), etc.

A few additional thoughts:
1. The 5-hour flight for only 3 days is not ideal. How much time do you have onsite (i.e., what day and time do you land and what day and time does your flight leave)?

2. Have you ever been to FL in the summer? (FYI, Labor Day weekend is still summer weather). It is HOT and HUMID. This was our 8th summer visit. IMHO, masks do not make it any hotter, your entire body feels HOT and the mask actually helps keep your face cooler by shielding it from the sun a bit. But, we are used to wearing masks everywhere. We used the disposable, medical masks because they are the lightest and most breathable and also the most protective to us because they are made from non-woven material. highly recommend these over cloth masks.

I have to laugh at the posts of we can't stop living because of Covid. OMG, taking a trip to WDW is TOTALLY different than not living.
So let's go over this, your going to sit at an airport, then get on a plane which may or may not have separation, fly to a place that's a Covid hot spot, just to spend 3 days at WDW and then do the same thing going back.

If I were local, within driving distance or a shorter flight away without a time change, I would go right now. I would not, however, take a 5-year old on a cross-country flight to go to WDW right now. The reduced hours and experiences, plus having to deal with jet lag would not be worth it, particularly for a 3 night trip.

I have to laugh at the posts of we can't stop living because of Covid. OMG, taking a trip to WDW is TOTALLY different than not living.
So let's go over this, your going to sit at an airport, then get on a plane which may or may not have separation, fly to a place that's a Covid hot spot, just to spend 3 days at WDW and then do the same thing going back.
Yes, because from reports I’ve heard, the quickest a vaccine has ever been created is 4 years. I’m not ok with not going on vacation for 4 years out of fear of a virus that no one has control or will have control over during that time. Which is why I personally won’t stop doing normal things, like going to Disney. To each their own. If there was an end date in sight, then sure, I’d be willing to postpone for a bit longer. But there’s not, so I won’t. To each their own.

Took the family to Universal in July and had such a good time we booked Disney for Labor day weekend and again for the week of Thanksgiving.

For my family's ages and risk factors there is a greater than 99.9% chance of survival if infected. My personal risk analysis says to go and enjoy myself.

Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

If I could go, I would. I think Disney is doing everything possible to keep their guests safe.

5.5 hours in a plane is a long time for only 3 days so if you could squeak out another day that would be the perfect long weekend. ( For me at least ) but it's still do-able if you know you won't do and see everything. I'd get the earliest flight possible on my arrival day and the latest flight out possible on your departure day.
I agree I would go at least 4 nights.

Personally, if I had a kid, I would want their first experience of DisneyWorld to be the full experience, especially if it was such a long flight for a short trip.

I voted yes. We rescheduled our Sping break trip to December and as long as it's open, I plan to go. I've quarantined to flatten the curve, I wear a mask and socially distance when I can. My kids haven't really had a social life since this whole thing started and neither have my husband and I. We need to get away and for my own mental health, I'm going. But everyone has their own level of comfort. I plan to go down and stay within the bubble and forget about all the awful things going on in the world right now. If you think this get away would help your mental health and you are comfortable flying, then go for it. We will drive down so I think that makes the decision easier. Don't worry that it's your son's first trip, at this point, he has no idea what he is or is not missing. Just decide based on whether you feel a level of comfort getting to/from Orlando and go from there.

We just returned from 5 nights and had a fantastic time. i definitely felt safer than when at the grocery store. You have to have a park reservation, so never crowded. Lines all have distance markers, and people were very compliant, Mask compliance was great, and there is sanitizer at every entrance, loading area and exit to the rides. In addition, there are temp checks and limited people in stores (cast member stationed at all store entrances). I did miss the parks at night, but the low crowds made up for that easily.

I just don't know. Between Covid and WDW prices vs the current experience and being on the opposite coast, we just arent sure. Perhaps if we were more local maybe? :rolleyes2
To those that are going, have a wonderful time!
One day, not sure when, we will be joining you all!! Can't wait!! :flower1:

Imho Nope, I’d delay. Too short a visit vs risks getting there, enjoying the visit and heading back.

Special snowflake here. I'm a yes, but person right now. I'm not quite yet comfortable getting on an airplane and live just a smidge too far away (Central PA) that I'd be ok driving it solo. If I still lived in SC, I'd make that trip in a heartbeat.

I cancelled a trip in October, moved it to November and cancelled that one too. I rescheduled for December which will also probably be cancelled (Polynesian studio for 7 nights :sad1:) and have another one in April. The only trip I hold any hope for is April. I will say that my DH and I are pretty close to the at risk age group and we are taking more precautions than most.

FWIW, I would not spend 5 1/2 hours on a plane each way for a 3 day trip in the best of times. With Covid, it's much worse. I would not want to be within 6 feet of other passengers for that length of time.

My family and I spent one day at MK in July. That was enough for us. The park was not as empty as being reported. Also, way too many people not properly wearing masks or eating/drinking without a mask while walking. Even in queue lines. This was after the new rule was put in place. I did not see CMs telling anyone to wear their masks even when they right right past one. I feel like Disney needs to get either security or managers to roam the parks because it is too much for the CMs to confront people for minimum wage. So I will not be going back until a working vaccine is available

I wouldn’t go but not because I’m afraid covid. I wouldn’t go due to the limited experiences. Especially if it were a first time visit. Too much money spent for half the experience. Also I don’t want to wear a mask all day. Neither do my kids. I was in the midst of planning a bday trip for the kids in March but then thought of June but with so much uncertainty in the parks we’re going to wait. We’re really into the night shows and extra offerings.

I wouldn't go because of the limited experience for the same price. Leggoland is a pretty good hike from Orlando but that might be more fun for your son and cheaper. My daughter flew here and back from Tacoma in June and was fine. As far as COVID, I don't personally know of anyone in Florida who has contracted it. Is it around? Sure. The only person I know who has had it is from Maryland. I live here, not far from Disney property and we all live life as usual, although we have to wear a mask when going in a store now. Not sure how long that will last.
In a nutshell, if you're afraid of COVID, do what you feel comfortable with. If you aren't, same answer. I'm not moving because people think the sky is falling. You'll probably be as safe at Disney as you would anyplace else.
My opinion....

One more thing I forgot to mention, I have a 5 day staycation planned at Fort Wilderness in mid October and I'm still going. My only issue is we don't have any plans to go into any of the parks but we want to hit some of our favorite restaurants and do some resort hopping. The restaurants, 'Ohana and Trails End aren't open yet and not sure they will be by then. That would be a bummer.

In my opinion let’s put things in perspective. Covid 19 can kill you or have some after effects. Disney will always be there. I would like to think I have veteran experience going to Disney having been there over a dozen times last being November 2019. I absolutely love Disney and all that it brings. Disney is trying hard to make it a wonderful experience during these trying times but it’s still not the full experience. You are still paying very premium prices to have that experience. The questions everyone have to ask themselves, is it worth going now or in the near future or wait to late 2021-22 and have the whole deal. I like the parades, holiday parties, eats to be beat, pageantry, food and wine, Halloween, Christmas decorations, resort hoping, park hoping, days at the pool, club level food, buffets, no restrictions on where to go. The price will be the same with or without those experiences. Certainly there will be discounts at some point but Disney obviously has taken a financial hit like us all. I would delay until it’s safe, and open. Just my opinion.

I voted "yes". If you can adjust your trip so that you are going to parks on non-holiday weekdays,that changes to a "YES DEFINITELY!!". Fly on Delta, Southwest or Jet Blue, don't fly on Spirit or American.
We went, the parks are safe, restrict your travels as much as possible to WDW alone. We may never see WDW this uncrowded again. You want to experience this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter