Poll: Help me decide

Island Garden view or Oceanview?

• Island Garden

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Oceanview

Votes: 31 64.6%

• Total voters
This is a gorgeous view!! This is a regular island garden view with two queens right? Not a studio or DVC?

Thank you for sharing the pics and room number!:)

Yes, this was a regular hotel room with 2 queens. IIRC, we booked a standard room with cash and were upgraded to an island gardens view room at check-in. This trip was in mid-October — during the low/shoulder season — so I guess they had the availability to work some magic.

I couldn’t care less about a view. Sure, it’s nice if it’s thrown in for free, but I would always rather spend more on activities than for a room with a better view. We are DVC owners and I look at it as those extra points can be accumulated into extra nights or another trip. Give me standard view every time.

I couldn’t care less about a view. Sure, it’s nice if it’s thrown in for free, but I would always rather spend more on activities than for a room with a better view. We are DVC owners and I look at it as those extra points can be accumulated into extra nights or another trip. Give me standard view every time.
I agree with you 1000% money is better spent elsewhere. If your in your room for the view don’t go to Hawaii.

So interesting to read. We are arriving May 21st for our big trip. Never been to Hawaii and not sure how quickly we will be back. Taking our 3 20 somethings to celebrate graduations. We booked a 2 bedroom villa standard because we want to do so much and everything is so expensive.
Have always loved the CR theme park view and our balconies on our Disney cruises. Hope we won’t be disappointed. Any suggestions for room recs?

A different perspective: One time I was given a free upgrade to a partial oceanview in a hotel in Honolulu. I was so excited and thought I would spend all my evenings watching the sunset on the patio while drinking a glass of wine. Turns out I didn't do that once because we were always at dinner during sunset. During the day we were always out doing something, and at night when we actually spent time in the room it was too dark to see anything. So for me I would not spend the extra money on oceanview, and instead use that money on activities.
Totally agree. We were out “doing” stuff until sunset every night. I mean remember, Hawaii only gets like 13.5 hours of daylight on the longest day of the year, and that’s right when we visited. We had a pool view and it was still fun to sit out there for a bit, and I’m sure we’d have used it more if we’d had more of a view, and yes it makes great pics....but I’d rather spend the money on other activities. Not to mention the fact that you SAY it’s a once-in-a-lifetime, but on day 2 of 14, I’d already sworn to DH we were returning in 5 years—and that will be next year!!! Maui here we come!

There is no way I would ever stay anywhere without an oceanview! To me, it is totally worth it! Even before the pandemic, I love to sit on my balcony watching the sunrise, sipping my coffee in my own private space. It's the best!

This is a gorgeous view!! This is a regular island garden view with two queens right? Not a studio or DVC?

Thank you for sharing the pics and room number!:)
I think you’ll be disappointed if you go in assuming that the island garden view you get will be the best in that category. Better to assume the opposite and be surprised. Personally, I’d spring for the ocean view that is guaranteed to be spectacular, but for us the view is important because we love to enjoy it from the room.

Thank you everyone for the replies and feedback! And the amazing pictures!!

Ugh I’m still so torn...I REALLY want an Oceanview but I’m just so worried about over extending ourselves money wise. Especially since we want to do so many activities which will cost a lot while we’re there. I also want to reserve a cabana and executive lanai (hopefully) for a couple days while we’re there.

If we go with the island garden view is this a huge dealbreaker? Hopefully I’ll still enjoy sitting out on our balcony?

I just cannot wait for this trip. I literally got choked up looking at pictures of Aulani and Hawai’i this morning. This will be such a dream come true for me and my family!!
You can get a partial oven view staying in Ewa Tower Island View. This is our 1 bedroom island view. 563555

Yes, but there’s no guarantee poster will receive this room, or any other they specifically request.
True, but OP is concerned that she can’t afford ocean view. Also, some ocean views aren’t any better than the island view I pictured above. Aulani’s ocean views are really not that great. Stay at Turtle Bay on North Shore and you will get a true ocean view.

Thank you everyone for the replies and feedback! And the amazing pictures!!

Ugh I’m still so torn...I REALLY want an Oceanview but I’m just so worried about over extending ourselves money wise. Especially since we want to do so many activities which will cost a lot while we’re there. I also want to reserve a cabana and executive lanai (hopefully) for a couple days while we’re there.

If we go with the island garden view is this a huge dealbreaker? Hopefully I’ll still enjoy sitting out on our balcony?

I just cannot wait for this trip. I literally got choked up looking at pictures of Aulani and Hawai’i this morning. This will be such a dream come true for me and my family!!

We also get torn on the room view vs extra cost and usually ask our selves how much we plan on sitting in our room. On most beach vacations we spend our time on the beach and pool side. The room ends up just a sleeping area, one that we are usually in after dark.

Getting ready to book our trip and so torn on booking an island view or to splurge and book an Oceanview. This is a once in a lifetime trip and we’ll be celebrating my 40th birthday. Of course I want to book the Oceanview but am cringing at the price...we’re staying 9 nights and I have a lot of things on our to do list that will cost. Plus we’re coming from the east coast so our flight is expensive.

I will say I am a huge “view” person...every resort we’ve ever booked at Disney World I’ve booked the best view/room category...same on our Disney cruises. I’ve always booked extended verandas. I LOVE sitting out on our balcony during trips and having coffee or a glass of wine. I look forward to it a lot and its so relaxing to me. So that’s making me wonder if an Oceanview is worth it?

Any feedback on these two room categories would be appreciated:)
I would get the island view and splurge on activities instead. Hawaii is so beautiful that even the island view is stunning. Really there is so much to see and do on property and on the island itself that you won't be spending that much time in your room. It will be a waste of money. Oh and be sure to get out of the resort to explore the island. There are tons of free things to see and do but if you want to do any paid activities, I suggest looking into a Go Ohau card which will give you admission to over 45 attractions for one price. I got mine at Costco for much cheeper than I would have paid anywhere else. My family and I were able to do so many things with that card for a fraction of the price than it would have cost us if we had not had it. As for the activities, I recommend visiting Pearl Harbour, the Submarine Museum and Battleship Missouri, visiting the gardens at Waimea Valley (where you can swim under a waterfall), taking one of the many tours at Kualoa Ranch, visiting the Polynesian Cultural Center, visiting the Byodo-In Temple, visiting the Bishop museum, taking surf lessons or paddle boarding on the North Shore, going on a Catamaran Sail. We did so much more but those were my favourite activities.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter