Poll: How did it feel the first time you wore a mask out in public

How does it feel wearing a mask out in public

• Awkward! (Or other emotion/embarrassment)

Votes: 116 30.0%
  • Physically Stressed! (Coughing, claustrophobic)

Votes: 58 15.0%
  • Resentful! (This is America, dammit!)

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Love it! (Always wanted to try it!)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Whatever! (Doesn't bother me at all)

Votes: 128 33.1%
  • Wouldn't know, haven't been out!

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Absolutely REFUSE to wear one!

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 30 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A bit awkward because I wasn't used to wearing one and frustrated because my glasses were getting all foggy and I couldn't see.

Definitely felt awkward at first...my office has been open, but everyone is isolated on their own, so we haven't been wearing them there. First time I wore one was at the grocery store...and while the whole staff there had them on, less than half the customers did. By the next time I went, it was 100 % compliance though, so the awkwardness faded fast.

I haven't worn one in public for COVID.

I wear the dreaded N95 at work (trust me, they aren't fun to wear even as a healthy person with excellent cardiovascular endurance.) I'm not interested in wearing a mask outside of work for absolutely no reason. Fabric masks are not based on good science and I won't voluntarily contribute to the fear.

I have a mask in case stores refused admittance. But I have not had to use it and won't unless it prevents me from being able to go in an establishment, which is unlikely because my state is reopening.

I have previously worn a mask in public, however. Any time I am sick and have to go out (which I avoid as much as possible regardless because you can still get vulnerable people sick even wearing a mask - it reduces transmission, it doesn't eliminate it) I wear a mask. This is how masks are actually effective, protecting others from you. People always looked at me oddly, but I just sort of had the mentality of, "you might think this looks weird, but you'll be glad I didn't give you the flu, so whatever." So, my feelings about wearing a mask in public are that: whatever.

In fact, if anything good comes out of this, it will be that it is more socially acceptable to wear a mask in public when you are unwell.

Wearing the mask stresses me out. Like others, I can't breath right and my glasses fog up. I had to take my turn and go into work one day last week, and I was soooo hot. Took it off only when I was physically sitting at my desk in my cubicle. Not sure I can do that when more people are back to work, but I was the only one in the entire suite that particular day. Other than that day, I only go out and wear it at the grocery store once a week. Wearing the mask because I have to, but I would almost be happy to stay home forever to never have to put it on again!

In fact, if anything good comes out of this, it will be that it is more socially acceptable to wear a mask in public when you are unwell.

THIS.

The rationale right now for everyone wearing one all the time is related to how little we still know about the virus. I highly doubt we will ever reach a point that mandated mask wearing will be a seasonal thing, because eventually we will feel confident in our knowledge of the virus and how to treat it, and vaccines should be available. But we as a society (especially given how much we enjoy being unrestricted) would benefit greatly from a culture shift that makes mask wearing acceptable when you don't feel well or when you know you might carry a bug to other people. hubby and I talked a few weeks ago about how it won't be surprising if face masks for health are the next fast fashion accessory.

Sad. I've only had to wear a mask twice--once for a viewing and once for a funeral. Otherwise I am never out in public except to take walks in empty outdoor places.

They were cloth, and I managed to figure out a way to not fog up my regular glasses constantly, but when I tried to wear my sunglasses at the cemetery they wouldn't stop fogging up. So if I have to ever wear it outdoors again, I'll need to figure out how to fix that.

It doesn’t bother me wearing one. I go with a bandana. The first time my glasses fogged up, but I readjusted it and it was fine. 99% of the people around here seem to be following instructions and wearing one so there really isn’t any awkwardness

The first time I wore one into work it was a black non-pleated one my hubs sewed that covers a full half my face over my cheekbones and all. My boss said I looked like a comic book villain. :rotfl2: Best compliment ever!

When my Mom was having her chemo treatments, there were times we had to wear masks. That’s when I did all the fiddling, glasses fogging up, getting used to the mask. I guess it was preparation for this. We also traveled to Asia twice in 2018, and when traveling back to Seattle to visit family, we’d see several people with masks. So this is definitely a whatever.

The first time I was having asthma issues anyway, so wearing a mask made it really hard to breathe. In fact, I took it off, since it was still optional at the time. The second time, 2 weeks later, I wore it with no problem. Well, it wanted to crawl off my nose, but I used the elastics to adjust it, not the mask itself. I did feel a little socially awkward, since the mask was one of those dust ones that looks like a medical mask (but isn't good enough for a medical mask). Also, I didn't want to be wearing one and was scared I was going to touch it in the wrong way and transmit the errant disease on to my face.

THIS.

The rationale right now for everyone wearing one all the time is related to how little we still know about the virus. I highly doubt we will ever reach a point that mandated mask wearing will be a seasonal thing, because eventually we will feel confident in our knowledge of the virus and how to treat it, and vaccines should be available. But we as a society (especially given how much we enjoy being unrestricted) would benefit greatly from a culture shift that makes mask wearing acceptable when you don't feel well or when you know you might carry a bug to other people. hubby and I talked a few weeks ago about how it won't be surprising if face masks for health are the next fast fashion accessory.
I gree it will likely be seen as more understanding seeing someone out with one versus just seeing it at specific places like nail salons and whatnot.

But I also think there will/could be two sides to that. A person sneezes and it will be like "WTH why aren't you wearing a mask"..and that person could have just sneezed because something tickeled their nose or they have allergies.

Acceptance and expectance can be two different things :)

A bit strange in the beginning. A bit weird, didn't like how it fit up by my glasses (fogging issues like others mentioned) but I tweaked it where it will fit better. I'm not wearing one when we have gone out to the parks as there hasn't been any reason to. We went out to a park on Thursday and only saw 1 group wearing masks..they didn't need to..no one within 30 feet near them where they were sitting at but if they want to they want to.

My husband has an easier time wearing a mask and he's been the main person going out to stores especially for groceries so that will probably stay the same for a while.

It wouldn't let me vote for two choices... If it had, I would have voted for awkward and physically stressed.

I made my own masks. The first set I made was the pleated style similar to a surgical mask. I tried it on at home for a while (because I am kind of claustrophobic) and thought it wasn't TOO bad, but actually wearing it while trying to shop and push a cart is a totally different story. It was not very pleasant at all (and my glasses kept steaming up.) I have since made more masks in a more shaped style, and they're slightly better from a claustrophobia standpoint, but only a little. I'll keep wearing one while they're recommended though.

I started wearing a mask when the governor started recommending it, but it's still not mandatory here. The first time, I felt very awkward because not too many people were wearing masks and everyone else's was a "real" mask. I felt like people were looking at me and wondering if I was sick. Now, most people are wearing masks and many are homemade, so I'm just one of the crowd.

The claustrophobia is an issue for me as well. Most things don't bother me but I don't like the trapped in feeling. I am ok in small areas but can not be held down and the masks very much trigger a panicky reaction in me. Our area numbers are pretty low and we are not mandated to wear masks although some companies are saying their employees have to. But it is up to the individual business to decide. Thankfully my boss does not require it. I wouldn't be able to go all day working while wearing a mask. Our small crew has been working closely together since this whole thing started and none of us are sick, or have sick family members.

I haven't been shopping since March 15th. My husband is doing all of our shopping/errands. He has no problem wearing one. My Mom made all of us masks. I truly didn't think my husband would wear his, but he hasn't minded since the start. He did say that in the beginning his glasses fogged up, which he hated, but I guess he has changed his breathing pattern or something, because they don't fog up anymore!

We are in NH and no one is made/asked to wear a mask. Our number of cases are low compared to other areas. We have between 1-4 cases in our town. (that's how it is reported on the news) My husband says over 75% of the shoppers at our local grocery store (Market Basket) wears a mask. The big change this weekend is that now all of the workers are wearing them too!

Makes me proud of my town!

We are in California and have worn masks due to smoke from wildfires in previous years, so this doesn't seem like a big deal to us. It's not the most comfortable or convenient, but then again, the point of the mask isn't about my comfort or convenience. Even the smallest amount of protection for someone more vulnerable than myself is worth it in my opinion, and I'm glad to take this step to help if I need to be out in public.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter