Poll: How did it feel the first time you wore a mask out in public

How does it feel wearing a mask out in public

• Awkward! (Or other emotion/embarrassment)

Votes: 116 30.0%
  • Physically Stressed! (Coughing, claustrophobic)

Votes: 58 15.0%
  • Resentful! (This is America, dammit!)

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Love it! (Always wanted to try it!)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Whatever! (Doesn't bother me at all)

Votes: 128 33.1%
  • Wouldn't know, haven't been out!

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Absolutely REFUSE to wear one!

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 30 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had conflicting views.

Do I wear the N95 and run around yelling, “code blue, STAT!”

or...

Or the bandana and Buy a horse and go rob a bank

tough decisions for tough times!

I felt a little awkward the first time, but now it’s no big deal. I don’t sew, so I ordered a batch of identical plain white ones from Etsy that I can just throw in the washing machine.

We are mandatory and I'm glad. For what it's worth, I actually feel safer. Groceries stores have signs all over the place that you can't go in without one. It's very commonplace now and I don't feel the least bit out of place. I have always seen Asians wearing masks pre-covid and always felt they were considerate and smart doing that.

Our large home store Menard's (like Home Depot) also wants masks and no children allowed. This weekend I kept seeing them turned away.

What store was this? I wouldn't be too impressed with a store that won't allow people in without a mask, but then don't make their employees wear a mask!!! Makes no sense!

It is more a matter of local stores not backing up corporate policy. Officially, the store does require masks of both employees and customers. Michigan's lockdown order requires them as well, in indoor spaces, for all people able to tolerate them. But I was in a part of my state with next-to-no cases and a lot of people not particularly enthusiastic of the virus control measures, to put it tactfully, so my guess is that the manager of that particular location is one who doesn't support the mask order.

Even stores in my area that are requiring masks aren't enforcing that requirement after a couple of headline-grabbing conflicts between customers who refuse to wear a mask and employees who tried to tell them they had to leave the store. I talked to a cashier today at our corner store and she said that while corporate policy is to require masks, her manager told her that for her own safety she shouldn't do more than point out the requirement in a neutral way to customers not wearing them. No trying to insist or asking the customer to leave, for fear of the possible reaction.

I definitely felt awkward the first time I wore a mask out in public but that was 8 years ago. It’s an immediate life-or-dearh thing for me so nothings really changed much. The first time I saw a lot of other people walking around the grocery store with masks on, I had to text my DH that everybody looks like me now. Can’t wait to see how everybody else handles wearing a mask in the Florida summer when it’s really hot. That will not be pretty.

Stupid. Dumb. Idiotic. Couldn’t breath. Made my face itch. Don’t know how much longer I can take this. Never thought in this day and time the world would be shut down. This should have never happened. Then our smart president tells people to drink disenfecdent which people are desperate they’ll try it. Smart world

Sometimes life is aggravating. We have choice in how we perceive it. This is mentioned in WDW circles on how we manage expectations and share the park in crowded conditions. We have the power to affect our own experience and not be so easily discomforted.

Taking out perceived injustice by abusing Guest Relations or a store clerk accomplishes nothing good. A valid argument thru the proper channels does. We have a choice in how we deal with disagreement.

Inspired by David Foster Wallace, author "This is Water"
RIP
"...This is not a matter of virtue. It’s a matter of my choosing to do the work of somehow altering or getting free of my natural, hard-wired default setting which is to be deeply and literally self-centered and to see and interpret everything through this lens of self. People who can adjust their natural default setting this way are often described as being “well-adjusted”, which I suggest to you is not an accidental term..."

Stupid. Dumb. Idiotic. Couldn’t breath. Made my face itch. Don’t know how much longer I can take this. Never thought in this day and time the world would be shut down. This should have never happened. Then our smart president tells people to drink disenfecdent which people are desperate they’ll try it. Smart world

THAT is NOT what was said so why spread lies?

I live in a country where it's mandatory to wear a mask at all times even for exercise and btw it's hot and humid(100f) ! Yes at first it's uncomfortable but you get use it quickly and now it feels normal to wear a mask, at time I've even forgot I have one on! It does take a little getting use to I'm not denying that.. here if your over the age of 3 years old you have to wear a mask and even little kids are managing fine.

The last time I was in public was to pick up medicine for my mom at the grocery pharmacy. This was back in mid-March. I brought the mask in my bag and wasn't sure if I would wear it. I was also using latex gloves to do the shopping. I got nervous when I got over to the pharmacy and saw the pharmacist and a customer at the counter wearing them, so I put mine on too. Everyone else I saw in the store was just not wearing any - but this was mid-March. Haven't been into a store since. I felt a bit weird, but seeing others wearing them made it seem more normal.

The few times we've been out I always tell my wife "Now lets go rob a bank" as I put my mask on.

THAT is NOT what was said so why spread lies?

No, he just asked the medical expert if that was something "possible". People are not that bright and when they hear someone like the president even consider something like that, they also think, "hey, that's a good idea," You really have to be careful with what you say when you are in the public eye.

I finally got a mask last Thursday and holy claustrophobia, Batman! The last time I had felt panic like that was when I got stuck in a fun house when I was 8 lol. Not a huge deal as I now quickly rush through the store and it makes me have a game plan :) but that first time was rough and disorienting.

I don’t mind wearing a mask but I voted “other” because it’s so hot! Also the glasses fogging up is a problem. DH and I tried the soap trick but that only worked for the very short term. We will try the tissue trick next.

I don’t mind wearing a mask but I voted “other” because it’s so hot! Also the glasses fogging up is a problem. DH and I tried the soap trick but that only worked for the very short term. We will try the tissue trick next.
A friend of mine recommended a product called Cat Crap (yes that's the name!) - our field technicians use it on their safety goggles and they are outside working in extreme heat for 8-10 hours in the summer. I haven't needed it yet as I wear contacts most of the time, but I will probably order some if it looks like the mask wearing is going to extend through the summer and fall.

I don't completely despise wearing it and I won't argue about having to do it, but it does get aggravating with my glasses fogging up at times. Other than that, it is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter