• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POLL: Who is canceling their cruise due to new CDC advisory on cruise travel?

Who is canceling their cruise due to new CDC advisory on cruise travel?

• I am still going.

Votes: 265 62.5%
  • I am canceling.

Votes: 60 14.2%
  • I'm on the fence about cancelling.

Votes: 99 23.3%

• Total voters
I got a great discount for a Fantasy cruise during my spring break, the only time before summer (which is too expensive) when I can sail the Fantasy given my schedule as a schoolteacher, so I'm not cancelling. I'm hoping that Omicron will have more or less run its course by mid-March, but even if it hasn't, I'm going. And looking forward to it, no point in stressing about it. I've got serious issues in my daily life to stress about. I'm not going to stress about a vacation. I'll get a rapid test prior to flying out, and that's all I can really do in terms of Covid preparation. I can't isolate before the trip because I'm a schoolteacher. If I test positive at port I'll just deal with it and it won't be the end of the world. Taking the small chance that might happen is better for me than just canceling the trip now out of fear, and having nothing to look forward to for spring break. Due to the pandemic limiting travel options & me traveling solo, there isn't really anywhere else besides a cruise that I'd want to go this spring break, so just choosing another vacation option wouldn't work for me. I'm looking forward to the Western Caribbean ports, most of which I've never visited before, but if those ports are closed to us, I'll still enjoy just being onboard the ship.

This is a great philosophy and this is how we felt with out August and November cruises. Che sara, sara.
Maybe because our next one is a 14 nt cruise that we've never done and never was able to do until around 2019, I feel a little more desperate to make sure it all goes smoothly in our favor. The Feb 2021 cruise was cancelled so we moved to this March. All I can do is hope it all works out. If we have to cancel last minute, at least we tried all we could and we'll get our money back. This is the last PC cruise by DCL for 2 years at least so we can't just reschedule for a few months later. I will be so sad if it sails without us.

Thank you! Our daughter, who lives with us, works at a children’s urgent care. They are dealing with lots of positive cases everyday.

Well, we decided to move our cruise to the end of April. My daughter came home pretty sick on Saturday. She did not have Covid thankfully. Hoping to finally cruise in a few months and it’s a double dip! 😃

This is a great philosophy and this is how we felt with out August and November cruises. Che sara, sara.
Maybe because our next one is a 14 nt cruise that we've never done and never was able to do until around 2019, I feel a little more desperate to make sure it all goes smoothly in our favor. The Feb 2021 cruise was cancelled so we moved to this March. All I can do is hope it all works out. If we have to cancel last minute, at least we tried all we could and we'll get our money back. This is the last PC cruise by DCL for 2 years at least so we can't just reschedule for a few months later. I will be so sad if it sails without us.
I'm on your cruise. How do you know this will be the last one for at least two years? I know there aren't any scheduled so far, or I would've changed to that one. I don't know what to do about this one. I really want to go, but we are worried that the ports will be closed.

I'm on your cruise. How do you know this will be the last one for at least two years? I know there aren't any scheduled so far, or I would've changed to that one. I don't know what to do about this one. I really want to go, but we are worried that the ports will be closed.
As I added before if I can just get on ship I'm fine. Ports are a bonus.

1/22. Was waiting to see if we would get sick in time to get a recovery letter but thankfully we are all well rn.

Hoping this latest omicron variant passes quicker than previous versions. Remember South Africa was among the first with omicron ... and they've had a 67% drop in covid cases over just the past 3 weeks. Only 32% have at least one vaccine dose - while in U.S. 75% have at least one vaccine dose. Consensus is omicron more contagious, but not as serious as previous versions, and shorter lived. But still creating a mess!

1/22. Was waiting to see if we would get sick in time to get a recovery letter but thankfully we are all well rn.

Same cruise.....

We are awaiting our PCR results and if they are positive I have another PCR test scheduled for us late next week. If they also come back positive then we are cancelling. Doctors seem reluctant to write a note stating "clear to travel" which I really don't understand. If I was going back to work I am sure they would write a letter saying "clear to go back to work". Our friends are also going but live in another State. They are getting the same vibe from doctors...not wanting to write a clear to travel note.

I have never had such highs and lows in emotions than prepping for this cruise. One day I am sure we are going and the next I am sure we are not....mentally exhausting!! And....we don't even know what our full itinerary will be!! Grand Cayman is out but nothing has been replaced with it yet.

MJ

Last edited:
We are FL residents and our cruise goes out on Friday. We are not canceling, but I’m worried my kids will pick it up at school and we’ll be denied at the port. We’re all vaxxed but that doesn’t seem to matter with Omicron.

If we get denied at the port we’re lucky that we can just drive the 2.5 hours home, but we’re all going to be so disappointed. If we reschedule we probably won’t be able to replicate this cruise. We’re splurging on a one bedroom and have a cabana at castaway. Anything for the next several months with be way more expensive or booked up. We also have a WDW planned for disembarkation day which we’ll have to scrap.

We are FL residents and our cruise goes out on Friday. We are not canceling, but I’m worried my kids will pick it up at school and we’ll be denied at the port. We’re all vaxxed but that doesn’t seem to matter with Omicron.

If we get denied at the port we’re lucky that we can just drive the 2.5 hours home, but we’re all going to be so disappointed. If we reschedule we probably won’t be able to replicate this cruise. We’re splurging on a one bedroom and have a cabana at castaway. Anything for the next several months with be way more expensive or booked up. We also have a WDW planned for disembarkation day which we’ll have to scrap.
Good luck. Remember most people probably still get on the ship. Hopefully, with the whole world getting this variant we can move on to the "live with it stage".

Hoping this latest omicron variant passes quicker than previous versions. Remember South Africa was among the first with omicron ... and they've had a 67% drop in covid cases over just the past 3 weeks. Only 32% have at least one vaccine dose - while in U.S. 75% have at least one vaccine dose. Consensus is omicron more contagious, but not as serious as previous versions, and shorter lived. But still creating a mess!
My whole family has it. We're not asymptomatic, but not at death's door either. This is our second round with Covid. The symptoms both times have been weird. I had horrible night sweats at first I thought it was some kind of menopausal thing. LOL. I read that's common though. All of us have had GI issues. None of us have had respiratory problems either time. It's such a weird virus in how it affects everyone differently.

My whole family has it. We're not asymptomatic, but not at death's door either. This is our second round with Covid. The symptoms both times have been weird. I had horrible night sweats at first I thought it was some kind of menopausal thing. LOL. I read that's common though. All of us have had GI issues. None of us have had respiratory problems either time. It's such a weird virus in how it affects everyone differently.
The night sweats are totally a thing! Lasted about two weeks for me this latest round. Hang in there, it goes away eventually.

The night sweats are totally a thing! Lasted about two weeks for me this latest round. Hang in there, it goes away eventually.
Thankfully it only lasted twos night. I've worked with bad colds many times in my life. I certainly don't feel sick enough to miss work. I'm not sure what the answer is. Millions of people are going to stay home from work that pre-covid what have just toughed it out. Hopefully, we find some balance soon, I'm just thankful I'm not trying to fly anywhere this month with all the canceled flights.

our daughter has Covid. She has cold symptoms right now, hopefully nothing worse coming. She did mention having night sweats too.

You can cancel within 14 days of your sail date should there be a positive test, a possible exposure to COVID or a "COVID-like illness' with no penalty and no questions asked. Last night, I cancelled 4 of 5 staterooms for this coming Monday's sailing of the Magic and will receive all of my money back. You just have to tell them that there was a possible exposure.

EDITED TO ADD: Coincidentally, moments after posting this I received an email from Disney with this: As a reminder, Disney Cruise Line has put a temporary flexible refund policy in place. Within 14 days of sailing, Guests with COVID-19-related health concerns (symptoms or exposure) can receive a full refund to their original form of payment without Disney-imposed cancellation fees or apply their cruise fare toward a future sail date. Visit https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/book-with-confidence/ for details. You can also contact whomever you booked your reservation with to discuss other options that may be available to you.
We actually were just informed today of a child we were visiting and spent time with, tested positive today. But we are still before the 14 day window. My husband who's an airline pilot has head cold and sinus. He tested neg last week but it's now getting a sore throat. So we will test again. But again we are 16 days out.

Last edited:
We actually were just informed today of a Child we were visiting and didn't time with tested positive today. But we are still before the 14 day window. My husband who's an airline pilot has head cold and sinus. He tested neg last week but it's now getting a sore throat. So we will test again. But again we are 16 days out.
I would recommend that you wait two days and call them. The 2 week clock is for when you call them, not when you noticed symptoms.

I am sorry that you have people not feeling well and might have to cancel. It's an awful feeling. We had to cancel 11 of 13 people in our travel party last week because of one positive test and a handful of other possible exposures (unrelated to the positive test). But, it was the right thing to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter