• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly or GF?

We are partial to the Poly. DVC owners and had our beach wedding there.

The Grand has never appealed to me - I don't feel fancy enough TBH - but with the GCH work going on now at the Poly, I opted to stay elsewhere for February. So if those were your only two choices, I guess I'd say Grand.

I assume you know the Poly resort side is currently closed and only cash or points-booked DVC villas are available? Sorry if you know that, just making sure. And are you comparing it to the GF resort side?

Also curious the age/makeup of your traveling party?

I didn’t know about the work at Poly. I thought there might be some last minute availability. We can stay later in the year if that would be better; however, I like the GF, too, if that is construction free. Our traveling party is mom (49), son (21), son’s gf (20), daughter (6).

Can anyone tell because is open at the Poly? Location is great ,but without amenities now is it worth it?

I am a 100% Poly lover, but if you are going in January, I would do GF - you can still walk over to Poly for some tropical ambiance and tiki drinks. Grab a Lapu Lapu drink and sit out on the beach one evening.
The Poly construction right now is not worth the discounted, but still very expensive, rates in my opinion.

During normal times I'd say Poly 100%, but with everything going on I'd probably take GF. Actually, I take CR over GF but that's just me. There's something about the GF that I just don't like. The theming seems stuffy and pretentious to me, but that's only my opinion. I know lots of people love it.

With the construction, monorail not running, and OHana closed, I’d opt for GF.
The monorail is running; just not stopping at the GCH. You need to catch it at the TTC which is a short walk from the three DVC villa buildings at the Polynesian.

During normal times I'd say Poly 100%, but with everything going on I'd probably take GF. Actually, I take CR over GF but that's just me. There's something about the GF that I just don't like. The theming seems stuffy and pretentious to me, but that's only my opinion. I know lots of people love it.
I feel the same. But while the monorail station and 'Ohana remain closed, so are 6 of the longhouses, which means fewer people in Poly's common areas and the pools. TTC is just a short walk from Poly villas, and GF and all of its food options aren't far either.

Given the Poly refurb, I would go Grand Floridian right now. I absolutely LOVE the Poly, but there are too many services down right now for that to be a real option. No monorail, no O'Hana, front entrance all closed up. It just doesn't have a deluxe feel to me right now.

We have stayed at both although our stay at GF was only for one day to match the start of our Poly vacation with the start of Free Dining. The GF is a beautiful resort but the layout is not as good as the Poly. Also the parking is much better at the Poly if you drive. We also prefer the theming of the Poly. Of course you can probably guess from my signature which we prefer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter