Polynesian Pixie Dust: A Love/Hate Vacationship. An October 2017 TR *updated 2/12x3 and Complete*

Following along! Excited to hear how your first trip with your mom went!

The check in desk was empty. In fact, the entire airport was empty except for three or four other people. It was eerie. The only flights out of there were on American to Dallas/Ft.Worth. One terminal. One baggage claim. One plane at a time.
Sounds like my town's airport except we have 3 terminals :rotfl:

We got some Polynesian pixie dust! We'd been upgraded to Club Level. Yep, we'd be residents of Hawaii and the King Kamehameha Club for the week.
I have to admit I already saw your review on the Poly thread, but I don't want to comment on it to spoil it.

Club Level!!! Woohoo! That is fantastic pixie dust!! That happened to DH and I a few years ago (at YC) and we loved every minute of that club access :)

Nice upgrade to club level! That's a nice surprise and how lucky for your mom to get to experience that on her first trip.

I am also currently avoiding responsibility and trying to catch up on Riverdale.

I need to catch up on Riverdale too. I have a killer migraine today so I plan on relaxing when I get home. Riverdale may be happening tonight.

Chapter One: Just "Pop"ing in
Love that title!

As far as location goes overall, I think it would be a really good spot for someone there for longer than one night. It was easy to get to the pool, food, and lobby. I didn't see where bus pickup was, so I can't really comment on how close it was to that, but I assume that would be fairly convenient to get to as well.

It was small but functional for the night.
Agreed, it would be too small for me to survive for longer than 1/2 nights!

We got some Polynesian pixie dust! We'd been upgraded to Club Level. Yep, we'd be residents of Hawaii and the King Kamehameha Club for the week.
Woohoo!

I admired the view of the Grand Floridian across the water and was thrilled to see some monorails rolling by...
Double monorail photo! It's like a double rainbow!

The check in desk was empty. In fact, the entire airport was empty except for three or four other people. It was eerie. The only flights out of there were on American to Dallas/Ft.Worth. One terminal. One baggage claim. One plane at a time.

This is like the airport I've flown out of my last two trips! It's super casual (y'know, when you're not the last people to show up for your flight lol)

No, we ended up on the 4th floor of 60s. It wasn't a far walk from the lobby, but it was far enough that it made dragging our suitcases over there kind of a pain.

It's pretty close to the buses if you ever ended up there again. I think it's technically the closest building to the front ("technically" even if 50s may be closer) because that was where we were moved when we had a ton of trouble with rooms a few years ago.

24033012098_424e67ee84_b.jpg

that's where we were! :)

lol you'll notice we have the same picture from the same day just slightly earlier once I get there in my TR lol

I am also currently avoiding responsibility and trying to catch up on Riverdale. That's more important than anything else, right??

Um...yes! I haven't watched Riverdale yet. (It's on my list.) But binge watching tv is always on my agenda. I'm currently Dis-ing and watching the first episode of This Is Us instead of editing my paper.

I think we got to the airport around 12:30, and I realized we were at the tiniest airport ever.

The parking was free though, and you can't beat that!

But going back to pluses, security was super easy.

No way!! :o The airport closest to where I grew up was almost this small. It's eerie.

We ended up with bagel sandwiches from Einstein's Bagels. Mom had never had them before, and she picked a spinach/cheese thing...and by the end of the trip that was the one food she said she wanted again :rolleyes:

:rotfl2:Bahah this makes me laugh, but it also hurts a little.

I was so excited to show off the Welcome to Disney World sign. Unfortunately, and super weirdly, the lights weren't on!! No kidding!! We drove under a dark Welcome sign.

Wait...
What??
:earseek:
That's so weird and not cool.

We had upgraded toiletries, which needed documenting!

Oh my gosh yay! I would be so excited about this! Fancy toiletries! They must have known you were special. :thumbsup2

Oh, and of course I had to get the famous tie dye cheesecake!

Oooh pretty! How was it?

Luckily our alarm clock in the room had a white noise option. It was kind of touchy and made terrible scratchy feedback sounds if you touched it wrong, but eventually we had some ocean sounds drowning out the quiet, and I fell asleep.

No way! That's cool—I didn't know that was a thing. I can't usually sleep without background noise/white noise either.

She pulled up the reservation, gave us leis and then said, "Oh. Hang on." and called another CM over. He told us our room wasn't ready yet, but went with us out to valet to check our luggage for the day...then he took us back inside, and started giving us a little tour and walked us outside...Um, this is pretty unusual. This isn't normal check in treatment!!

Well, that's because...

:eek::hyper::D

What an awesome upgrade! Wooh!

If you recall from my other reports, I live by the rule: If you see a monorail, you must take a picture of the monorail!!

Um, yeah. Naturally.

I wanted to admire alllllllllll the fall things!! Everything looked so pretty!

Oh my goodness, MK in fall! :lovestruc I want to go back there right now!! :hyper:

Awesome start, we stayed at the Poly in August, what a great upgrade to club level. Looking forward to reading your report.

Amazing pixie dust!! I actually like travel day reviews...it's fun to see how everyone gets there and the anticipation is the best. I have to try the Disney nuggets on my next trip, they look delicious.

That is so awesome that you were upgraded!! Now I'm going to cheat and go read your review on the Poly thread so I can compare to WL CL lol.
Hmm, you're making me nervous about our March Pop stay :( I mean I know the room isn't big, I guess it's just that you're saying it out loud :laughing: Think I Might need to see what else is available with my discount.......

Following along! Excited to hear how your first trip with your mom went!

Sounds like my town's airport except we have 3 terminals :rotfl:

I have to admit I already saw your review on the Poly thread, but I don't want to comment on it to spoil it.

Welcome to my little slice of crazy, I'm glad you're here!

Our local airport (20 minutes-ish from our house) is small, but has several different flights and airlines in and out all day. It has a restaurant and a couple of quick serve options (like Auntie Ann's pretzels and a coffee shop, plus one of the little convenience store things) and several gates, so I guess it's what I had in mind when we pulled up to our departure airport. What a shock to see how tiny it was!!

If you read the Poly review, you totally understand the title of this report! I really tried to balance the good with the bad, and overall things were fine, but I think I just built it up too much in my mind, you know? Kind of gave myself big expectations.

Club Level!!! Woohoo! That is fantastic pixie dust!! That happened to DH and I a few years ago (at YC) and we loved every minute of that club access :)

I have heard good things about CL at Yacht Club, that's a nice bit of pixie dust!! It was definitely an exciting moment!

Nice upgrade to club level! That's a nice surprise and how lucky for your mom to get to experience that on her first trip.

I need to catch up on Riverdale too. I have a killer migraine today so I plan on relaxing when I get home. Riverdale may be happening tonight.

Yes, it was a very nice surprise to walk into! I tried to explain to my mom that it was NOT a normal thing to have happen, LOL!!
I caught up on Riverdale and holy cow!! There's some serious crazy going on in that town!! I hope your migraine settled down, I know how frustrating and painful they can be.

Love that title!
Agreed, it would be too small for me to survive for longer than 1/2 nights!
Woohoo!
Double monorail photo! It's like a double rainbow!

Haha, thank you!! It stressed me out not to add the extra 'P' to popping, but it would have messed up the resort name.
Agree!! DH and I have two nights booked at AS Movies in December before moving to Kidani Village, and I am having doubts. We may check into changing those two nights.

Double monorail is TOTALLY like a double rainbow!! That might be the best comparison I've ever heard, it made me happy, LOL!

This is like the airport I've flown out of my last two trips! It's super casual (y'know, when you're not the last people to show up for your flight lol)

It's pretty close to the buses if you ever ended up there again. I think it's technically the closest building to the front ("technically" even if 50s may be closer) because that was where we were moved when we had a ton of trouble with rooms a few years ago.

that's where we were! :)

lol you'll notice we have the same picture from the same day just slightly earlier once I get there in my TR lol

Super casual is the perfect way to describe it (and I'm so glad you made that flight!!), and while I was weirded out by it, when we landed on return, I realized it was a pretty sweet set up and would be fine to fly out of again. (Now, I didn't care for the Dallas airport...never dreamed I'd pick Atlanta as my favorite major airport!!)

I thought the 60s building was a great location (at least our room area) if there for the entire trip. I was also surprised by how quiet things seemed overnight and in the morning. I was preparing myself for stomping feet and yelling kids.

It's a great picture spot - I love that we will be picture twins, LOL!! Moms and daughters in front of giant pumpkins - it's the hot new trend! One of my friends (the boys' elementary principal actually) was there later in the week with her daughter, I should ask if she did it too!

Um...yes! I haven't watched Riverdale yet. (It's on my list.) But binge watching tv is always on my agenda. I'm currently Dis-ing and watching the first episode of This Is Us instead of editing my paper.

No way!! :o The airport closest to where I grew up was almost this small. It's eerie.

:rotfl2:Bahah this makes me laugh, but it also hurts a little.

Wait...
What??
:earseek:
That's so weird and not cool.

Oh my gosh yay! I would be so excited about this! Fancy toiletries! They must have known you were special. :thumbsup2

Oooh pretty! How was it?

No way! That's cool—I didn't know that was a thing. I can't usually sleep without background noise/white noise either.

:eek::hyper::D

What an awesome upgrade! Wooh!

Um, yeah. Naturally.

Oh my goodness, MK in fall! :lovestruc I want to go back there right now!! :hyper:

Oh, you'd probably like Riverdale! It's crazy and pretty intense. They crammed a lot into the first season, every episode feels like it moves very quickly. I LOVE This is Us! I'm already behind on the current season by an episode or two. Season One is an emotional rollercoaster!! So much crying!

Right?? Like, out of all the Disney food, she just wanted another spinach bagel sandwich?? Even after 'Ohana??

I did not understand the sign lights not being on at all. Our driver was like, "Ok, the sign is coming up, there's not much traffic so I will slow down for pictures", and then we got there and he was like, "Umm, nevermind. Looks like someone forgot to turn on the lights!" I was disappointed b/c we'd managed to snag front row seats so I could get a relatively unobstructed photo.

The cheesecake was actually pretty good! It was very traditional tasting. My mom was grossed out by the colors, lol!

I was really excited to see the white noise feature on the clock radio. The app downloaded overnight and we used that for the rest of the week at the Poly.

The upgrade was a pretty cool surprise!

Ugh, it was so BEAUTIFUL with the fall stuff everywhere! Even the Dapper Dans had special fall vests. And Autumn Trolley performers costumes were gorgeous. Love, love, love!!

Awesome start, we stayed at the Poly in August, what a great upgrade to club level. Looking forward to reading your report.

Thanks! I was initially thrilled about the upgrade! My mom had no real idea of what that meant, lol.

Amazing pixie dust!! I actually like travel day reviews...it's fun to see how everyone gets there and the anticipation is the best. I have to try the Disney nuggets on my next trip, they look delicious.

Definitely exciting pixie dust!!
I dislike writing travel days b/c I tend to forget to take pictures along the way! I like reading them, too, for the same reasons as you. It's fun to see how everyone gets themselves to the World!

Disney nuggets are the best nuggets. Like mini chicken strips, yum!

That is so awesome that you were upgraded!! Now I'm going to cheat and go read your review on the Poly thread so I can compare to WL CL lol.
Hmm, you're making me nervous about our March Pop stay :( I mean I know the room isn't big, I guess it's just that you're saying it out loud :laughing: Think I Might need to see what else is available with my discount.......

I was very excited about the upgrade, but I have a feeling WL CL is better. Just based on my Poly experience and reviews I've read of WL CL. We ate there quite a bit though. Even when we didn't need to *cough* dessert after a gigantic 'Ohana dinner *cough* Unlimited POG juice was my favorite part though!

Umm...the Pop rooms are tiny. And the one sink thing? Yeah...I don't consider myself a hotel snob, but I couldn't imagine a family there for very many days. Unless it really was just a place to crash after the parks, or if people spent a lot of time at the pool or hanging out outside. It has us checking for other options besides our booked two nights at Movies in December before moving to Kidani. We probably won't switch, but it at least planted the seed about changing.

I'm here! :wave:

That's me :rotfl:

Of course! Yum

Let me know when you catch up on Riverdale, it's been crazy!

Yay :dogdance::dogdance:

Haha, yes it's you! I needed some moral support about the airport situation!!

The cheesecake was the perfect first Disney dessert! I was surprised that it was good, I was nervous to be honest!

Last edited:
I LOVE This is Us! I'm already behind on the current season by an episode or two. Season One is an emotional rollercoaster!! So much crying!

I'm only a few episodes in and I'm pretty impressed so far. But the FEELS are intense!!

Our driver was like, "Ok, the sign is coming up, there's not much traffic so I will slow down for pictures", and then we got there and he was like, "Umm, nevermind. Looks like someone forgot to turn on the lights!"

That's SOO weird!! I can't believe this was a thing!

Enjoying your report! So just you and Mom this trip? Can't wait to hear more. The Poly is my favorite resort!

I'm only a few episodes in and I'm pretty impressed so far. But the FEELS are intense!!

That's SOO weird!! I can't believe this was a thing!

Intense is right! I think I ugly cry through 90% of each episode, lol!

I know, it was shocking. My picture is black nothingness with blurry squiggles of brake lights from other cars.

IMG_2072.jpg

Great start! A Poly upgrade. Sounds amazing.

It was definitely an amazing way to kick things off!!

Enjoying your report! So just you and Mom this trip? Can't wait to hear more. The Poly is my favorite resort!

Thank you, yes! Just me and my mom this go around. It was her first time ever, and also our first time ever spending so much time together in close quarters. Eek!

Love it so far - and the monorail rule is a good one! :)

Thank you so much! I agree about the monorail rule, it's necessary!!

I just ready your review on the Poly thread. Yikes. I know you were grateful for the upgrade but I would have been upset with those things that happened too.

I'm back from the cruise and about to head out to WDW in 2 days...but first had to say WOW...AMAZING PIXIE DUSTING to CLUB LEVEL!!! That is awesome! I hope you enjoyed it!!! I saw your pictures on social media and I'm excited to see how your trip goes!!

BTW, does tie dye cheese cake taste like regular cheesecake?
It looks like play doh to me and I can't stand the smell of play doh so it's kinda look gross to me, LOL. But I've heard it's very good!
Can't wait to see your first park day!

Joining in--hello, fellow Odyssey of the Mind coach here, too! Looks like a great trip and a lucky upgrade!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter