Poncho question

ZoZo

DIS Veteran
I'd like to find a good quality poncho on my upcoming trip. (Not the "disposable" kind.)

Any recommendations? I know lots of folks just buy the WDW ponchos, but I wanted to see if there are any recommendations for one to buy before my trip. I know Frogg Toggs makes one, and Coleman, too. I'd like one that's on the longer side, and with longer arms (some seem to be sort of small).

Thanks!

The ones they sell at WDW are actually pretty sturdy. If you don't want the throwaway ones, I'd wait until you got there and the need actually arrises. Best case, you won't have to actually buy one. Worst case, you'll have a souvenir.

The camping/sporting goods section of our Walmart has a variety of ponchos. You could check the measurements of them on the package. I am guessing they would not want you to open the package to try them on!

We always grab a bunch from the dollar store for $1.00 each so we can dispose of them. I brought the non-disposable kind one year and nothing was worse than carrying around heavy wet rain ponchos after the rain ended.

I get the ones they sell in the parks. I always ask for a scissor so I can cut it down the front. This way I can put it on and take it off easy. And I still stay dry.:thumbsup2
Nancy princess:

Thank you for starting this thread. My wife and are will be at WDW at the end of June. We know afternoon cloudbursts are common, as are heat and humidity. What type or brand will protect you from the rain, not be too heavy to wear in the hot, humid weather, and. Can be worn on those few 'wet' rides, like Kali River Rapids. I like the sound of disposable ponchos from the dollar store as something light to fold and carry, and then throw away once used.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

On our trip this past September, I brought along several different kinds. Disposable dollar store ones for myself, a GAP zip-up poncho for my 12-year old (it zips up into a rectangle by turning it inside out into the front pocket), a Walmart brand $5 one for my 9 year old that came with its own drawstring bag, and hubby and our youngest had regular windbreaker-type waterproof jackets.

My opinion - the $ store ones held up well for a single-day use, BUT the poncho was definitely short for me. I'm 5'9" and have long limbs. I wouldn't use those for myself again. Every other rain jacket worked equally well. So, I'd say the $5 ones from Walmart make the most economical sense.

(We do also have Animal Kingdom rain ponchos purchased on our very first WDW trip in 1999 that are STILL in great shape - but I have them packed away for camping use!).

I bought Totes ponchos several years ago in Kmart. They fold up nicely in their own little pouch with a snap. They are not overly heavy but not real thin like the Dollar store ones. I think I paid about $6 for them.

The Disney ponchos are great. I bought 'cheap' ones for the kids at a target near Disney world last year, I think they were $3 each. They both ripped when we were putting them on the kids. We immediately threw them away and bought the Disney ones. I think they are $7 or $8. A bit more but not breaking the bank. And they can be replaced if they rip, just take them to any store and they'll give you a new one.

Let me start off saying that those saran wrap, tissue paper throwaway ponchos are garbage... We've seen too many guests trying to put these on only to have them rip, be too small and cover nothing and just end up in the trash....Yeah, they are cheap but you get what you pay for... We've had our Disney bought yellow ponchos for over 10 years now...if you want to purchase a decent poncho, any sporting good section of a department store stock good size hunting and fishing ponchos....in different sizes....don't make the mistake of buying the throwaway from the dollar store...once you're in WDW your only choice is to buy Disney, pricey but decent.

Honestly, last time I went, I brought a pack of trashbags, and just ripped a hole in the top and sides. Easy, cheap, effective, and you don't have to carry around anything wet.

They have nice ones in the camping section. We actually have ponchos from many years ago from Disney and Sea World. We use them every year, well last year we didn't need them. We roll them up really small and throw them in our backpack.

My vote is for the frog toggs as well. They are a little bulky to carry but it was so worth it when we were toasty and dry during a monsoon!

Thank you for starting this thread. My wife and are will be at WDW at the end of June. We know afternoon cloudbursts are common, as are heat and humidity. What type or brand will protect you from the rain, not be too heavy to wear in the hot, humid weather, and. Can be worn on those few 'wet' rides, like Kali River Rapids. I like the sound of disposable ponchos from the dollar store as something light to fold and carry, and then throw away once used.

we tried using a poncho for Kali and it was pointless, we got soaking wet even with them on. Just a warning :)

We always buy disposable ones at Dollar Tree. They have two in a package so fifty cents per poncho makes it easier to throw away or hand off to someone else once you've used it on a water ride or for afternoon showers.

I like the cheap disposable ones. I have never had one rip while trying to put it on and they have kept me and my family just as dry as the thicker type. To me, the reason for buying one in the park is either not being prepared for rain or wanting a souvenir.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter