Pontoon boat rental

MrsBergs

Mouseketeer
Hi
We are interested in renting a pontoon boat. The Yacht and Beach Club pontoons sail around the waters of Crescent Lake, while the pontoons at the Contemporary and Grand Floridian can sail in the waters of Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon
Is one better than the other? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated
Thank you

In order to get out of the Boardwalk area, you're going through some small channels with Friendships trolling the same areas. It's a bit disconcerting to turn into the area by the Swan or under the bridge by DHS and see a Friendship heading straight for you.

Bay Lake is huge. There's a lot to see even if you don't go to the 7 seas lagoon. But, if you decide to go, you're going to be travelling the water bridge, with the Friendships travelling the same bridge. Fortunately, you can see them coming and allow them to traverse before you go through the narrowest part of the bridge. The bridge is wide enough for both of you, but your puny 9.9hp engine is nothing compared to the wake the Friendships generate. Once in the 7 seas lagoon, you're in a wide area of open water, and, except for watching for the ferry boats, it's a nice tour. Note that Disney's patrol boats will tell you to move out of the area when the ferry boat is coming, so it's not a big deal.

I've rented once from the Poly and once from Grand Floridian. I'd agree that there is more to do/see in the Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake than Crescent Lake. We enjoyed going over the water bridge and seeing the Copper Creek Cabins, Discovery Island (where River Country used to be, not that there is much to see, but it was still 'cool'), and the Castle. I don't think it matters which resort you rent from, just pick whichever one is most convenient.

Although some offer half-day (4 hours) and whole-day (8 -10 hours) packages, the majority of pontoon boat rental businesses charge per the hour. However, some service providers offer weekly rental prices, which ought to be less expensive than hourly rates.

Remember to get your DVC discount. (If you have the perks).

I highly recommend renting a pontoon boat. It is relaxing and a good thing to do on a non park day.

We have only done the Grand Floridian. You cannot rent at one location and return it to another, so pick a location for convenience.

An hour was plenty of time for us to see Bay Lake and 7 Seas Lagoon.

You can rent from Poly or GF if you want to start in seven seas Lagoon both are very easy to get in and out of I think GF may be a little easier as the docks are off to the side where Poly is sort of between buildings. CR is also very easy to get in and out of if you want to start on Bay lake. Bay lake will be the easier as there are less boats if you’re not comfortable driving a boat at first. The boats are sloooooow btw. Years ago the sea racers had the 10hp engines 15 a longer time ago both were fun…. The engines on then now are no better then rowing.

Years ago the sea racers had the 10hp engines 15 a longer time ago both were fun…. The engines on then now are no better then rowing.
it was right of passage for the kids to pilot them. I appreciated they just putted along when along for the ride lol. wish they’d bring them back. :wizard:

Just took a look and the pontoon boats appear to be first come first serve (no reservations). Are there generally boats available to rent or do they rent out pretty quickly?

The first boat I drove was one of the little sea raycers in the 1970's. I was just old enough, 13, to take one out myself. It had a 15hp on it, and boy did it seem fast!

Since then, I've owned a variety of boats, from personal watercraft to runabouts to jet boats to pontoon boats, all of which were ridiculously over powered. The last time I rented a pontoon boat at WDW, it was a 24 footer with a 9.9 outboard motor. It was just enough to get the job done. With the only waves pushed up by passing boats, it was manageable in open water, and only became an issue when attempting to dock against a brisk wind.

You can bring a cooler onto the boat and picnic. I'm sure I saw others fishing from the boats, as well.

Can anyone confirm. I'd think no being fishing trips are normally guided.
Cannot fish. There are a few locations on property where you can fish from the shore. If you want to fish in the lakes, you have to book a fishing excursion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter