Pony Rides at Fort Wilderness

allie5

<font color=blue>WARNING! DHL men should be cautio
Has anyone done the pony rides at Fort Wilderness? They seem like a bargain at $3, and my DD would love it. Is it suitable for a 3 year old?? I know the trail ride is for much older children, but the pony ride sounds perfect!

Would love to hear from anyone who has done it!

Allie:D

We've done it twice. Once with DD4 in Nov 2001 and then again with DD6 and DD3 in Jan 2003. It is perfect for this age range and DD3 did just fine sitting on the pony by herself.

They have a weight limit but I don't remember what it is, my kids are both lightweights and were well under the weight limit.

Take time to check out the barn with the draft horses, across the way from the pony rides. They are so huge and impressive up close.

Peggy

I agree, your 3yo will love it, that's a perfect age for this. Whenever we have gone they have my DH lead the pony through the trail. It has made for some cute pictures!

The weight limit for the ponies is 60 pounds. My daughter does this every trip while we stay at FW. One thing to be sure of so you don't risk disappointment ...... a parent must "walk" that child around the corral and that parent must be wearing close-toed shoes (not sandals). One time my I took my daughter down to the corral only to be turned away, as I had my sandals on!

When my DD were 5 and 2 years old they rode the ponies and had a great time. Nearly a year later they still talk about it.
I was able to wear my sandals while walking the pony but I did find it odd that it seemed they didn't have a rule about close toed shoes...maybe they do now.

How many minutes does the ride last? We just did one at a local circus and paid $5 for 45 seconds!!

We did this last year with my daughter who was 4 at the time. She loved it, and she's somewhat of a chicken. I think it helped that my husband led the horse. I think it took her 3-5 minutes. There is a trail that you walk around. You lead the horse. It's a pretty slow walk. Be sure to check the hours that it is open. I think it closes somewhat early. It seems that we almost missed this.

Well we did it when my DD was 4 and she loved it . She loved it so much that I blame it for the reason we have horses now LOL. She is almost 17 now and we bought her a pony for her 5th birthday . She has 2 horses right now but she had 7 for 3 years. The short of it is Take them to ride but say No when they want to take it home with them .:eek:

We did this last year when our DD was 2. She loved watching the horses, but was terrified and cried the whole time. My mom and dad were there with her, while my three sisters and I went on our trail ride. When we got back, my DD asked to see the horse that mommy was on, but when the CM brought it over to her, she started crying again. She's usually not afraid of anything, and rode everything at the parks that she was tall enough for, but this scared her to death!!!

will they let your child sit on the pony first to see if they like it before you pay? I would hate to put my 2yoa dd on the horse and all that she did was scream.

It doesn't hurt to ask...Everyone over at the stables was so nice, I think that they probably would. I would like to point out, we just recently went to a party that had pony rides and my daughter, now 3 1/2, loved it. I'm not sure if it was her age, or just the fact that strangers were bringing her a large animal that freaked her out, but I would take it slow, and she seems apprehensive, they also have a small petting area with animals that maybe aren't as intimidating. Hope all goes well, and good luck!

My daughter loved this in October. She is three and we had to ride twice in a row. Cute little horses. The man in charge was really nice and we also went into the stables and saw the little ponys that pull Cinderellas carriage and they were giving one of the larger horses a bath. Big hit with my DD. She still talks about it.

My 2 1/2 year old loved it! He still talks about riding Blueberry the horse. If you say pony he says no, I rode a HORSE! :)

When he was about 1 3/4 he was afraid of regular, large horses. But he was fine with the little ponies.

My ds rode a pony at FW last year when he just turned 3. He loved it. My husband led him through the corral, and you can go at your own pace (or the pace of the pony!) The CM's were really nice and we didn't feel rushed at all. We even stopped a time or two for some photo ops.

Have a fun time!

Could someone give more information on the trail ride? I have 2 DDs (11 and 8). I think the pony rides may be too babyish for them, but they have loved the pony rides in the past at the local fairs, etc.

Maggie

The kids have to be at least nine yrs. old to ride, so the 8yr. old couldn't go unless she will turn 9 before your trip. My three sisters and I did this, and it's a lot of fun, but do it towards the end of your trip. We were so sore we could barely walk the next day!!!! The cost is about $32 or so, and you walk through the woods and come back the same way you went. It's just a guided walking tour,although sometimes the horses want to eat the bushes and you have to pull them really hard to get them back on the trail! Also, one of the people that was in our group had a horse rear up on him, but he handled it well and the CM's are VERY experienced and keep everything well organized and under control. This guy did get a gash on the back of his leg, but they filed a report and everything was fine, just a scratch really from the bushes. I think the girls would love it, it's a great experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter