Pool Hopping and any restrictions?

MemphisTN

Earning My Ears
I read something about pool hopping but didn't pay much attention. Now that we are ready to decide on a resort and make an offer, I want to understand as much as I can about the perks.

As I understood it, when you are a DVC member and staying in a DVC resort, you can go to other DVC resort pools. Is there any pools that you could not go to unless you were actually staying in that resort?

Can someone please explain how this works?

thanks

You can not hop to the pool at the Yacht and Beach or AKL. Only guests staying there can use those pools.

You can hop to any other pool DVC or not, as long as you are staying at a DVC resort on points. There are black out times, listed on the website and in the newsletter, usually Easter, 4th of July, etc.

Any other time you are asked to call the resort prior to hopping to ask permission. Permission to hop can be denied if the resort is full. Also once you arrive if the pool becomes over crowded, DVCers hopping can be asked to leave.

Thanks Sammie. Why are those pools at the BC and AKL unavailable? Just curious. We will probably try to stay at different resort over the years so we can have a little different experience each time.

From the DVC Website:

Pool Hopping Information for 2007

You and any Guests staying with you at Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Beach Club Villas or Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa are permitted to use other Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney World Resort hotel pools (in addition to the pool at the Resort hotel at which you're staying) if they are not at capacity.

If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that Resort hotel. Please check with a Host/Hostess at the Front Desk of the Resort hotel you wish to visit to find out about pool-access availability. You must present your current "Key to the World" card with your Disney Vacation Club "Member" designation on it to use other Resort hotel pools. Pool hopping is not available at Uzima Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge and Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts or at the leisure pools of these two Resort hotels. There are no exceptions to this policy.

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time because of capacity limitations. Due to expected high occupancy, Disney Vacation Club Members may not "pool hop" during the following dates*:
February 18 - 24, 2007
March 31 - April 8, 2007
May 25 - 28, 2007
June 30 - July 7, 2007
August 31 - September 3, 2007
November 19 - 25, 2007
December 16, 2007 - January 2, 2008
*Other restricted dates may be added based on projected pool capacity.

Thanks Sammie. Why are those pools at the BC and AKL unavailable? Just curious.
The main pool at BC is not available simply because it gets overrun especially in the summer if they don't restrict access. There are now so many DVC owners out there that they could easily help overwhelm that pool and make it difficult for the guests at BC/YC/BCV to enjoy their own pool!

I never have understood the AKL pool restriction. They used to use some song and dance about too many people upsetting the animals, but they don't seem to think that construction cranes will be a little more disruptive? :rolleyes1

For whatever reason, AKL pool has been off limits to pool hopping as long as its been around.

The main pool at BC is not available simply because it gets overrun especially in the summer if they don't restrict access. There are now so many DVC owners out there that they could easily help overwhelm that pool and make it difficult for the guests at BC/YC/BCV to enjoy their own pool!

I never have understood the AKL pool restriction. They used to use some song and dance about too many people upsetting the animals, but they don't seem to think that construction cranes will be a little more disruptive? :rolleyes1

For whatever reason, AKL pool has been off limits to pool hopping as long as its been around.

My understanding is that the pool are at AKL is just not large enough. I've stayed there and it does get crowded. Maybe with addition of AKV this will change. Also heard that to many people would come to see the annimals if they knew they could settle down at the pool. Guess only Disney knows for sure.

My understanding is that the pool are at AKL is just not large enough. I've stayed there and it does get crowded. Maybe with addition of AKV this will change. Also heard that to many people would come to see the annimals if they knew they could settle down at the pool. Guess only Disney knows for sure.

I was thinking about size but the Poly and GF main pools are also very small, so that kind of kicked out that explanation. I think your thoughts about too many people coming to hang out to see the animals might be it. :)

Originally, the AKL restriction was due to a fear that too much traffic in and out fo the resort would disturb the animals. Some here will recall that when the AKL resort first opened, it was very difficult for anyone without a reservation or verified restaurant reservation to drive into the resort. Eventually those restrictions were lifted.

I think DVC just decided to keep the pool hopping restrictions - probably were asked to do so by the resort.

At some point, I think DVC will do away with the pool hopping perk altogether, but that is JMHO. YMMV.

At some point, I think DVC will do away with the pool hopping perk altogether, but that is JMHO. YMMV.

Never had the ambition to travel to another resort to use the pool anyway. Maybe the folks with little ones do. I like being near my room when at the pool. The beer in my fridge is a lot cheaper and better than what they serve at the pool bars.:drinking1 :drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter