Pools at POR

Paticake

DIS Veteran
we are heading to POR 4th of July week. Wondering how packed the pools will be on the 4th. Not planning a Park day. Also what do you think of heading over to POFQ to use that pool. Also are ice machines in each building or only at the quiet pools. TIA

we are heading to POR 4th of July week. Wondering how packed the pools will be on the 4th. Not planning a Park day. Also what do you think of heading over to POFQ to use that pool. Also are ice machines in each building or only at the quiet pools. TIA
I would stay at POR. The quiet pools aren’t too crowded. The main pool has lots of shade, a great slide and a nice pool bar.

There should be a lot of fun activities on the 4th of July and I would definitely prefer to be at POR rather than POFQ on that day. There should be a sign up a few days ahead of time that lists all the activities. :)

Ice machines are located in each building.

You can walk over to pofq pool, the resorts share amenities. But since POFQ only has the 1 pool, it’s probably more crowded.
As Wood nymph says, if you want a break from crowded pool, enjoy one of the quiet pools, although I don’t think you’ll have a problem finding a spot at the main pool unless you wait until mid day when when everyone is returning for a break.

I would stay at POR. The quiet pools aren’t too crowded. The main pool has lots of shade, a great slide and a nice pool

How true is that part about the shade? I’m fat and fair skinned, and I work nights. The sun is my mortal enemy. I know, I know. Florida=sun. But what can I do? I’m drawn to it like a bug to an electrified lamp.

How true is that part about the shade? I’m fat and fair skinned, and I work nights. The sun is my mortal enemy. I know, I know. Florida=sun. But what can I do? I’m drawn to it like a bug to an electrified lamp.

Very true. It's one of the reasons the POR main feature pool is not one of our favorites.

Very true. It's one of the reasons the POR main feature pool is not one of our favorites.

Very sorry to hear it’s not up your alley. It sounds like paradise to me. I went so far as to buy a UV 50+ rated swim shirt this time around, though that might be more to spare everyone else from the unpleasantness of my physique. Thank you!

Very sorry to hear it’s not up your alley. It sounds like paradise to me. I went so far as to buy a UV 50+ rated swim shirt this time around, though that might be more to spare everyone else from the unpleasantness of my physique. Thank you!

It is also one of our least favorites partially due to the shade. NOW it's not that I don't love shade, I hunt it down if I can't bring an umbrella .... but at POR there is so much it's almost too shady, droppings, birds, always damp ground and overgrowth. Sounds weird I know - but it feels damp and buggy to me .... :o Now once you get in the pool, you'll still need your UV shirt/lotion. Another plus is many of the quiet pools are surrounded with shade as well.

I also hated when the kids were younger they had to leave the pool area to get to the entrance of the slide. So one of us was always walking them back there. I don't know if that has changed with renovation work.

When you add that its almost impossible to find more than one chair together, it's not a favorite of ours.

[But I do love the peaceful Southern Charm of the resort and the AB quiet pools.]

To me it’s paradise! Por is my fav moderate resort. I’ve never had problems finding sun or shade. It’s a beautiful resort and I enjoy the options of a quiet pool if I don’t feel like listening to afternoon pool party.
Everyone has different takes on resorts, imo POR is the nicest moderate. For others it may be CBR or CSR. It’s nice that there are options.

Quiet pool it. The ones at the mansions are great and less crowded.
We loved swimming in the quiet pool at around 10:30-11 in the morning. There were only 2 kids in the pool when we showed up. After about an hour there were quite a few people laying out, but still not very many in the pool.

We really like POR main pool, not only because of the shade but we like it's winding design (not just a big open area). As for kids going out of site to get to the slide, that pretty much eliminates all Mods except maybe POFQ and a handful of deluxes.
After living in Florida for 30+ years, one thing I have learned is shade = good and sun = bad, especially with pools. People just do not realize that when you are in the pool, you are doubling the sun because it also reflects back on you from the water.

We really like POR main pool, not only because of the shade but we like it's winding design (not just a big open area). As for kids going out of site to get to the slide, that pretty much eliminates all Mods except maybe POFQ and a handful of deluxes.
After living in Florida for 30+ years, one thing I have learned is shade = good and sun = bad, especially with pools. People just do not realize that when you are in the pool, you are doubling the sun because it also reflects back on you from the water.
Agree 100%. I like this pool as it doesn't feel like everyone is in one big area. You could find some privacy or quieter areas.

good point!
Specular-Diffuse-Reflection.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter