• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century HA rooms

allie_to_you

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes...
Can someone clear up something for me. Our TA reserved us a handicap accessible room at POP Century and both she and the website description of the room says HA room w/ King and Double bed and roll in shower. I've only ever known the rooms to have either a king or 2 doubles, not both...not really sure how both would fit in one of those rooms.

Is that correct, that there is both beds or is it as some have said a king in one room and a double in the connecting room and you have access to both rooms. Does that mean 2 bathrooms as well?

the have had a handicap room there and it was just one room with a roll in show and had a king bed. I do not think you will get both 2 double beds and king and I am sure you will not get a connection room with 2 bath room unless you pay for that.

My experience has been that if there are more than 2 adults on the reservation and I reserve a handicapped room, I am given two connecting rooms. One is HA with a king bed and roll-in shower, and the connecting room is normal, with its own bathroom, but not accessible. I assumed it's because they don't expect you to sleep 3 people in one bed, but I didn't ask -- I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Note that a room reservation is for only 2 adults; if you have 3, you're charged extra. Not as much extra as an additional room would cost, obviously.

I have no idea if this is something that always happens, or only if there's an extra room available, or if someone at the desk is feeling generous, or what. Two years in a row I was given two rooms when I'd reserved one HA room with roll-in shower and paid the charge for 3 adults in the room.

King plus double with a roll-in shower is bookable category. If that is what your TA booked, there are very few of them, but it is definitely a possible room.

Enjoy your vacation!

My experience has been that if there are more than 2 adults on the reservation and I reserve a handicapped room, I am given two connecting rooms. One is HA with a king bed and roll-in shower, and the connecting room is normal, with its own bathroom, but not accessible. I assumed it's because they don't expect you to sleep 3 people in one bed, but I didn't ask -- I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Note that a room reservation is for only 2 adults; if you have 3, you're charged extra. Not as much extra as an additional room would cost, obviously.

I have no idea if this is something that always happens, or only if there's an extra room available, or if someone at the desk is feeling generous, or what. Two years in a row I was given two rooms when I'd reserved one HA room with roll-in shower and paid the charge for 3 adults in the room.

Would you mind sharing which hotels this happened at? Was it at Pop both times? I've never heard of that happening before so I was just interested to see where you were staying at the time. Thanks for the info!

I cannot speak for the PP, but it is not possible to book a king HA room for more than 2 guests unless 1 is under 3 yrs old. Without knowing exactly what the reservation stated, I suspect it was properly made for an HA room to accommodate the PP's family. I would never trust that to be given if not appropriately booked.

Enjoy your vacation!

Our reservation is for myself, my husband who is a paraplegic and our 4 year old daughter. We told our TA we wanted a king bed/roll in shower room and so when we got our reservation and saw king/double, that's why we were a little confused as to which we were actually getting, but I have been told by numerous people now that we will be getting a connecting room with both bed which will be great for us since my husband will have his wheelchair and we are renting an ECV offsite and will need the extra space.

Thanks all for your help

That's really interesting, are their no HA accessible rooms at the values with two beds because the rooms are to small? I've never stayed at a value but I know the rooms are smaller and so maybe that's why they book HA rooms that way, maybe their isn't enough space in the smaller rooms for things like a pack and play or an extra bed, etc. so since it's a reservation for 3 (two adults, one child) it's booked with the two rooms.

I know this year was my first time booking a HA room with a roll in shower, we are three adults and I was told we could book one room with two queen beds and have enough room for the wheelchair to be easily maneuverable in the room (this was at a deluxe though, so the rooms are probably significantly bigger).

Glad your room situation looks like it's going to work out well for your family, have a great trip!

It sounds like you have a room with a king and a double bed. If you look at the booking categories online there are king rooms, 2 double bed rooms and king and double bed rooms. I would not expect that you are getting an adjoining room. I think they use to do that, but now have reconfigured rooms to include the second bed.

"Would you mind sharing which hotels this happenedat? Was it at Pop both times? I've never heard of that happening before so I was just interested to see where you were staying at the time. Thanks for the info!"

This was at the Pop Century both times. It was May of 2013 and 2014 -- I go every year and stay at the Pop. Those two years tge reservation was for myself (35, severely disabled) and my mom and sister (both over 21 and healthy). I booked the room with a roll-in shower and when I told the reservation agent that three people were staying, I was charged extra. I can't recall how much but I want to say in the neighborhood of $100 to $200 for a 10 night stay. When I arrived, I found the room was a normal room with two double beds and not handicapped accessible, so I called the front desk. I was told that the adjoining room was mine also, and it was the HA room I had requested with the roll-in shower. All our keys worked on both doors, and I was not charged for the second room. This happened two different years.

"It sounds like you have a room with a king and a double bed. If you look at the booking categories online there are king rooms, 2 double bed rooms and king and double bed rooms. I would not expect that you are getting an adjoining room. I think they use to do that, but now have reconfigured rooms to include the second bed."

Those rooms must be much bigger than usual! A king and a double would not fit in a regular size room that had a roll-in shower, especially not while leaving enough space for a wheelchair to get through. Not even if they took the nightstands out. It can be tight as it is to get the chair in there with one bed.

You'll have to let us know when you get there!

Last edited:
I cannot speak for the PP, but it is not possible to book a king HA room for more than 2 guests unless 1 is under 3 yrs old. Without knowing exactly what the reservation stated, I suspect it was properly made for an HA room to accommodate the PP's family. I would never trust that to be given if not appropriately booked.

I don't know what to tell you about the discrepancy, unfortunately. My guess is that maybe things have changed in the past couple years? I'm not making this up and I'm not mistaken about my experience, lol. I may be forgetful but I didn't forget an entire person! There were definitely 3 of us.

I specifically booked a HA room with king bed and roll-in shower, for 3 adults. I originally booked via the website and then called the disability phone number to confirm that I would be getting the room I needed, and the DME phone to arrange pickups because all three of us arrived separately. I believe it was the DME agent who let me know there'd be an extra charge, but that it wouldn't be a problem to have three different DME pickups on different days as long as all three names were on the reservation, which they were. I got in first and when I arrived, it was actually two connecting rooms. This happened twice on separate trips.

Perhaps they've changed how things work since then! This was less than 5 years ago. Or maybe it was a special situation because I assume it's not common to have 3 people arriving on different days.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter