Pop Century Understaffed?

JPM4

Mouseketeer
Hi All
Just got back from a great trip! The parks felt light traffic wise. We were able to do pretty much everything we wanted to do. However this was our second time staying at Pop and last summer I don’t know if we were lucky or what but while the parks felt light Pop was beyond packed. I’m not sure if they are woefully understaffed for the size of the place. They lost our carry ons on arrival and our departure. It really wasn’t anyone’s fault it just felt like they didn’t have nearly enough cms for everyone. The busses we were stacked in like sardines pretty much at all times of the day. Also guests were smoking everywhere! I went to the desk and mentioned this but didn’t see anything change for my stay. The smoking section next to the food court had about 10-12 people in it at all times. It just wasn’t a great experience for us this time around at Pop. We booked a bounce back for contemporary next summer due to the busses and to be on the monorail loop. I figured I have until all next summer to pay for it.

Once u go deluxe you ll truly have a difficult time downgrading, lol
Sounds like u had a good visit despite the glitches at Pop.. the good thing is that there are so many Options..and I think you ll enjoy a deluxe experience, (tho if u were looking for an Immersion disney visit imho contemporary is not that experience. It’s a great resort, walkable to MK, monorail option etc) ... did U consider all the Deluxes...AKL? Oh, amazing

Have a wonderful Re-Visit!!

Hi All
Just got back from a great trip! The parks felt light traffic wise. We were able to do pretty much everything we wanted to do. However this was our second time staying at Pop and last summer I don’t know if we were lucky or what but while the parks felt light Pop was beyond packed. I’m not sure if they are woefully understaffed for the size of the place. They lost our carry ons on arrival and our departure. It really wasn’t anyone’s fault it just felt like they didn’t have nearly enough cms for everyone. The busses we were stacked in like sardines pretty much at all times of the day. Also guests were smoking everywhere! I went to the desk and mentioned this but didn’t see anything change for my stay. The smoking section next to the food court had about 10-12 people in it at all times. It just wasn’t a great experience for us this time around at Pop. We booked a bounce back for contemporary next summer due to the busses and to be on the monorail loop. I figured I have until all next summer to pay for it.
I'm sorry you had bad luck at Pop. Maybe some staffers were ill/on vacation? Bag snafus can happen at any resort. I was just at Beach Club last week, and there was a minor issue with our bags, too. No big deal, but it happened.

The values buses always seem to be crammed with people, as values hold more guests than moderate or deluxe resorts, and also offer no other complimentary transportation methods to any Disney destinations.

One you stay at a deluxe resort, you'll see how much more pleasant the buses can be when they're not always packed. In fact, just about everything else is more pleasant at a deluxe, too. We stayed at Pop once and won't be back. We liked tent camping at Fort Wilderness better. Glad you had a great time at the parks!

We checked out AKL too. But it came down to Poly and CR due to the monorail. The walk to MK won out. Lol. Talking about the parks though we had two rain nights one at DHS and one at DAK. Besides TSL and Pandora there was NOONE around. We could honesty ride Everest and kali on a loop that nite. Both 5 minutes waits from 7 to close. DHS was the same with TOT and we were able to literally walk over and get a prime spot for Star Wars five minutes before it started. Again parks were amazing!

I will watch for that when we go back in a few days. That makes me sad. We have always stayed at Pop except for a one night stay at AOA last year for MNSSHP. DH and I are going to do the DVC point rental next year and stay at AKL. My brother stayed at Contemporary and he wasn't a fan, but I have heard great things about the resort. For us, we just have a hard time spending so much money on Deluxe when we are never in the room. We do spend the $$$ at US/IOA for the Hard Rock Hotel for the FOTL passes and because the time we go to Florida the parks close earlier and we spend more time at the resort. I can't wait to try the AKL next year. I have a feeling we will be hooked!

Hi All
In my opinion your complaint about the smoking section having 10-12 folks all the time is completely unfounded and unfair. That’s where they are supposed to be.
POP is huge. The buses are crowded.
I’m glad your vacation was good otherwise. I hope you enjoy the CR next year.

I will watch for that when we go back in a few days. That makes me sad. We have always stayed at Pop except for a one night stay at AOA last year for MNSSHP. DH and I are going to do the DVC point rental next year and stay at AKL. My brother stayed at Contemporary and he wasn't a fan, but I have heard great things about the resort. For us, we just have a hard time spending so much money on Deluxe when we are never in the room. We do spend the $$$ at US/IOA for the Hard Rock Hotel for the FOTL passes and because the time we go to Florida the parks close earlier and we spend more time at the resort. I can't wait to try the AKL next year. I have a feeling we will be hooked!
If that is what you watch for it is what you will find. If you watch for good things that is what you will find. Human Nature.
Good Luck

We just left Pop yesterday after a two week stay. Pop is always popping with people. That’s why I love it! :)

I found the buses quick and efficient as always. Sometimes you are packed in like sardines, but I’m all about getting to the parks quickly and Pop does that for me. I find the bus waits much longer at Deluxe resorts. I didn’t find Pop understaffed at all, but I didn’t have to deal with baggage, so maybe it’s understaffed there.

As for smokers, I’m always happy to see them smoking in the smoking section. I can’t stand smoke, but I really find most smokers respectful of the rules. :)

We have stayed at Pop several times, the latest just a month or so ago. Always had pretty good stays and this time was no different, but you have to be aware of what to expect. Buses are always packed. Food court usually busy. Lots of traffic all around. This is pretty consistent across the board for Values. Over the last 20 years I have noticed that CMs spend less time talking to guests trying to connect and more time getting in their groups and talking. I usually have to rudely interrupt their conversations with each other to get information. Don't like doing that, but don't like getting ignored either.

I just returned the end of last week, and didn’t have any bus issues. I only stood up on a bus one time out of 11 days and the rest of the time I had a seat and very few people, if any, were standing. I even saw them bring in an extra bus for DHS one day when the line started getting long.

I did notice a large international contingent, which could be why you noticed more smokers. I was in the 50’s for a change, and didn’t see any smokers at all. I notice the smokers more when I’m at the other end of the resort.

I noticed CM’s in the gift shop standing around in a group talking when they should have been manning registers. Of course they could have been discussing business, since I wasn’t close enough to hear the conversation, but the shop was busy and only one register open.

Sorry you had luggage issues. That can be very frustrating, but can happen at any hotel.

but while the parks felt light Pop was beyond packed.
Pop Century has almost three thousand rooms, the most of any individual resort. Even if only half the rooms were used, it would still have potentially 5,000+ people staying there.
I’m not sure if they are woefully understaffed for the size of the place.
Nothing indicates Pop is less of more staffed relative to any other resort. You would need to know the resort's budgeting, starting needs, etc. - information which ARE is not going to provide to its visitors.
They lost our carry ons on arrival and our departure.
Lost? Or misplaced/dedelayed? Again, see the property size/occupancy.
The busses we were stacked in like sardines pretty much at all times of the day.
Ditto. More visitors in the resort, more on the buses. This despite Transportation providing larger buses when possible, plus fewer visitors with cars at any resort, due to the parking fees.
Also guests were smoking everywhere! I went to the desk and mentioned this but didn’t see anything change for my stay.
Pop has a relatively large number of smoking areas, especially (but not solely) on the path around the lake. Also a couple among the buildings. Could any of your encounters have been in these areas?

Anyway, not having additional staff available to police smoking in all the many non-smoking areas around the property isn't nearly the same as understaffing.
smoking section next to the food court had about 10-12 people in it at all times.
There are four entrances to Classic Hall. To avoid people smoking in a n authorized smoking area, use one of the other three.
We booked a bounce back for contemporary next summer due to the busses and to be on the monorail loop.
Magic Kingdom and its area resorts are actually more remote from almost everything else on property.

We must have been just really lucky last August with the amount of rooms booked. And the smoking areas are fine. There were guests smoking right outside their rooms on the lower floors.

In my opinion your complaint about the smoking section having 10-12 folks all the time is completely unfounded and unfair. That’s where they are supposed to be.
POP is huge. The buses are crowded.
I’m glad your vacation was good otherwise. I hope you enjoy the CR next year.

If that is what you watch for it is what you will find. If you watch for good things that is what you will find. Human Nature.
Good Luck

I don't think I agree. We have been to Pop twice and we love it! We have always had a great experience there. That's why we are staying there again.

We must have been just really lucky last August with the amount of rooms booked.

I don't know. We go to Pop every August. It always seems the same to me crowd wise. We have been lucky enough to get a lakeside room every time. It's very quiet. Maybe that's the difference?

There were guests smoking right outside their rooms on the lower floors.

We did see a woman squatting by her door outside building 10 across from the playground smoking every time we walked by. She was the only one we noticed though.

That would drive me nuts if that was happening near my room or on the walkway to my room. I'd probably say something. It would definitely impact my stay and probably negatively affect my impression of Pop if it continued.

We did see a woman squatting by her door outside building 10 across from the playground smoking every time we walked by. She was the only one we noticed though.

That would drive me nuts if that was happening near my room or on the walkway to my room. I'd probably say something. It would definitely impact my stay and probably negatively affect my impression of Pop if it continued.

We noticed the last couple trips folks smoking anywhere they wanted in the parks and hotel .... and no one says anything to them. It's not just POP. It was quite discouraging.

Last edited:
Just stayed at POP from Wed to this morning.
The food court was rather crowded this time compared to several precious stays at POP.
I think it was quite the unusual crowded though as on Wed night as we were standing in line to pay for our food the cashier started to put in the wrong item and said oops sorry its been a really hectic night and then another cashier was taking over for her as we were walking away and she told her "I don't know why its been so crazy tonight".
Other than that I didn't find it too crowded or understaffed. Always several CM's at check in, concierge, the gift shop, in the food court...
We stayed 50s lakeside and there were lots of empty rooms.
Heck we didn't once stand on a bus and many had empty seats other than the long line of people waiting for the bus back from Epcot but that is typical.

Last edited:
I can echo the OP's concern about understaffing. Our trip end of July @ pop noticed much longer than usual lines at check-in + concierge and we had a luggage mishap where another partys 10+ bags were put into our room one day while we were at the parks. quite the suprise and no one at bell services seemed too concerned. I know we were right in between programs for many of the international cm's and possibly CP's which could explain some staffing issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter