POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #9~November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe we set up the call when we were at the resort for my kiddos birthdays. We also did I room celebrations from disney florist they came decorated the room left cute little presents and such so when we returned it was a surprise. It was cute but kind of expensive. The kids really did love it though. This time around I think I am just going to bring my own little things to put around the room when the kids are at the pool with dh or something

That's what I do. Way back in 2001 when we took our first trip to Disney with the kids, I thought that would be one of two trips we would take while they were kids so I decided to have "Mickey" leave gifts in the room for them (had I realized that we would end up going 5 more times in the next 12 years, I never would have started this little tradition. With 5 kids, it gets to be a bit challenging. :rotfl:) I buy Disney themed gifts for them and get Disney gift bags (usually at Walmart). I usually get them each a Disney t-shirt and/or pajamas and a few other Disney things (like stickers, pens, tablets, a vinylmation figure, Disney gift cards, small stuffed animals, bracelets, sunglasses, figurines, etc. -- but not *all* of those things at once :) ) I pack all of the items (sorted into ziploc bags for each kid) and the gift bags in one suitcase. Then when we arrive, I get DH to take the kids for a walk or I pretend I forgot something as we're leaving the room to go somewhere and I go back and assemble the gift bags so that they're waiting for the kids when we get back to the room. It still usually ends up costing me about $20-25/kid but it's way cheaper than the in-room celebrations you can purchase.

our littlest one will be 2 when we go to WDW next time. This puts us at 5 people. I keep reading that you can have 4 plus one under 3, but when i go to Disney's web site, it says we exceed the maximum occupancy rate. Has the policy changed or is there something wrong with the site?

Shannon, the policy hasn't changed. I did a mock quote just to check it out for you and I was able to to pull it up. Were you able to get it to work for you?

I am looking at doing the online check-in. We have not stayed at POP before so I am not sure about what requests to make. It will be myself and my 19 year old daughter.

Can someone tell me a little bit about the advantages to some of the decade sections?

Thanks
Stacie

We have booked 2 rooms for our family of 6. If i do online check in is there an area to indicate I would like connecting rooms? We have 3 adults between the 2 rooms and I know they won't guarantee it but I want to try. Should I make that request only and not request a certain area of the resort for a better chance of getting it?

I am looking at doing the online check-in. We have not stayed at POP before so I am not sure about what requests to make. It will be myself and my 19 year old daughter.

Can someone tell me a little bit about the advantages to some of the decade sections?

Thanks
Stacie

It will depend on what room category you booked more than anything.
Here is a map of POP showing the different room categories:
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae107/braverman4/POP%20Century%20Thread/PopCenturyMap2012RoomCategoriesFINAL.jpg

• A preferred pool room will get you right in front of the hippy dippy pool and closest to Classic Hall.
  • A preferred view will get you closest to Classic Hall without being right in front of hippy dippy pool.
  • A standard pool view room will get you in front of either the computer pool or the bowling pin room.
  • A standard rooms will get you anywhere else at POP that's not in one of these other categories :rolleyes:
  • Building 9 or 10 will get you closest to the buses

I hope this helps a little :thumbsup2

We have booked 2 rooms for our family of 6. If i do online check in is there an area to indicate I would like connecting rooms? We have 3 adults between the 2 rooms and I know they won't guarantee it but I want to try. Should I make that request only and not request a certain area of the resort for a better chance of getting it?

I am in the same situation. We are always a family of 6 or more, depending on which grandkids we take with us. This map kinda gives you an idea of where the connecting rooms are located at POP.
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/1329/popcenturyroomlayoutlarge.jpg

In the past, I have always made connecting rooms my main request since that is the most important request for my family but it hasn't been my only request. I normally request connecting rooms and the section (50's, 60's, 70's, etc) that we have hoped for. This will be our 5th trip to POP. 4 out of 5 trips we have gotten connecting rooms (the other time we got rooms right next door to each other. Only once have we gotten the section we requested but now we don't even request a section because when we think we know what section we wanted, it has always been a wonderful surprise to get a different section. We have loved them all! Now we just like the surprise :goodvibes

I have a 7am reservation for Chef Mickey and I will be coming from Pop will I make it on time?!:confused3

Oh no :( how much is a cab gonna cost and how do I get a cab? I always rely on the Disney transportation!!

The cab will be around $12-$14. If you don't see one waiting outside, have the concierge or bell services call one for you. One will show up in a couple minutes. They are always around.

Oh no :( how much is a cab gonna cost and how do I get a cab? I always rely on the Disney transportation!!

The cab will be around $12-$14. If you don't see one waiting outside, have the concierge or bell services call one for you. One will show up in a couple minutes. They are always around.

Don't worry, it's no big deal! I think our fare came to $15 or $16 and we gave him $20 because he installed a car seat for us. If you need a car seat, make sure you arrange it the day before because not all cabs have a car seat in them. Just go to concierge and they'll call the company and pass the phone to you so you can tell them what you need. We left at around 6:30am for a 7:15 ADR, I think.

For connecting rooms take a look at this. There is not an option for an adjoining room with online check in so I would call and add it. Calling is always easy and usually quick and cast members are nice (99.9% of the time at least).

Thanks
Stacie

I like this map to check out the sections. Standard Pool View rooms are found in the 50s (Bowling Pool), 80s (Computer Pool), and 90′s (Computer Pool) sections. Preferred Pool View rooms are in the 60s section overlooking the main Hippy Dippy Pool. Preferred rooms do not overlook the pools and are located in certain sections of the 50s, 60s, and 70s buildings closest to the main building and bus stop.

"With the relatively small size of the resort, booking a Preferred room at $15/night isn’t going to be necessary for most people staying at Pop Century. It might cut two minutes off of the walk to the main building and as much as five to the feature pool, but those rooms also see the most foot traffic outside. Add in the pool view and it’s going to be noisy outside your room from 8am through at least 11pm. You can actually find quieter accommodations and save money by simply booking a Standard room. Of the Standard rooms, my favorites are on the 4th floor in the 60s building facing Hour Glass Lake. These rooms benefit from being among the quietest at the resort and are also closer to the walkway over to the Art of Animation. You can easily walk to Art of Animation’s food court or bus stop from these rooms. Otherwise, any room facing the lake will be quieter and just a minute or two walk around the building to the pool. Consider putting in a request for a top floor room facing the lake when you book your vacation. Request the 60s, 50s, or 70s sections if you’d like to be closer to Art of Animation." - Easywdw

Magic Bands came today! Received the BOG fastpass email yesterday, scoring Fastpasses for 8/8. So excited! Our ten year old said so we really are going? Love it!

We're visiting for a family reunion in October and staying at ASSports. I decided to come in a day early, so my sister and I are staying at POP for one night! So excited, and of course I have a few questions.

How are the buses to MK? What time should I be at the bus stop for a 9am RD, assuming I don't want to be at the back of the swarm?

Will probably only eat once, lunch on our arrival day, at the hotel, what's good in the Food Court?

How long does it take to walk to AoA and back? I really want to wander around a bit, and only have a few hours to do it.

Thanks!

We're visiting for a family reunion in October and staying at ASSports. I decided to come in a day early, so my sister and I are staying at POP for one night! So excited, and of course I have a few questions. How are the buses to MK? What time should I be at the bus stop for a 9am RD, assuming I don't want to be at the back of the swarm? Will probably only eat once, lunch on our arrival day, at the hotel, what's good in the Food Court? How long does it take to walk to AoA and back? I really want to wander around a bit, and only have a few hours to do it. Thanks!

The margarita flatbread is delicious! The create your own salad is also a good choice.

The drive from POP to MK is about 15 minutes. I would leave an hour and 1/2 before hand? You'll probably want to be there 30-45 minutes prior to rope drop.

I *think* it's a 10-15 minute walk to AOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter