• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century: Yea or Nay?

C

Captain Crook

So Pop Century has been open for awhile and the reviews have been stellar. Aside from a few (very predictable) malcontents here on the DIS telling us how auful Pop is (without actually staying there), most people seem to genuinely like it.

So my question is, was Disney wrong in its offering or do the good reviews and high occupancy make it justified?

Note: Personally Pop was the first Value Resort my family visited and it was such a good experience we did it again. Rest assured it will never be confused with a deluxe but I saw so many people who acted as this was the epitome of 'being Disney' that my opinion of what 'being Disney' is changed again.

Thoughts?
pirate:

my mom and i stayed in pop century 11 days in jan/feb, and we LOVED it, i was not really into staying there but when we pulled up in front of it we both fell in love!

~courtneyprincess:

Captain, sir, you are correct.

The Pop Century Resort is the epitome of everything DISNEY®.

I really liked Pop Century when I stayed there, aside from a few minor personal grumps. It was very Disney and I was surprised at all the little perks that this value resort had. One thing is when I pulled up to the curb, the door was opened by a greeter, and they helped with luggage and everything. The rooms were fantastic, had all the latest Disney-esque things to them. Touring the property was a fun experience, as well as checking out the historic showcases. I am staying at All Star Music when I go tomorrow just to try a different resort, but otherwise I would have stayed at Pop Century again. In the long run, it will probably be my regular stop after I investigate the only other value one I haven't been to yet.

Well, we often arrive a day early, since we drive from Texas and allow extra driving time for traffic, unexpected car trouble, etc. We generally stay off-site that first night, then check in to OKW on DVC points. If there is such a thing as a last minute AP discount rate, Pop Century may be a good alternative. I guess we could stop at the Ocala welcome center and have them check on availabilty.

It may be a "reasonable" alternative to Hampton Inn for the first night.

"Rest assured it will never be confused with a deluxe but I saw so many people who acted as this was the epitome of 'being Disney' that my opinion of what 'being Disney' is changed again".

WOW!
Please Explain?

This is could be deep......

LOL! Mr. Voice you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to learn how to read! The little trademark symbol aside, it's too bad you discount so many peoples opinions on what "is" Disney...Can your view truly be the only view?:eek:

"This could be deep" ... Another shot? Ouch, I'm wounded.

When we were at Pop I absolutely could not believe the numbers of people taking pictures in front of all of the, heretofore on the DIS regarded as, gaudy "decorations". You know the giant Lady and the Tramp or the Juke Box or the YoYo...In fact I heard MORE than one group talking about how wonderful the "themeing" was at this resort (Pop). I had to interrupt their conversations and tell them that according to Another Voice, this was not 'theming' but rather 'decorations'.:teeth: Further, aside from AKL, I have never seen so many people strolling the resort grounds taking in the "unbelievable" atmosphere. Note: Unbelievable to me is exactly what these huge icons are...Not good or bad, just unbelievable. It's totally surreal on the inside...I think Andy Warhol may have liked this shot at conventionalism.

To the point...Obviously very many people are comfortable, impressed and happy within the realm of this, as AV once put it, Motel 6 environment. Should Disney really have tried to reach further to satisfy this demographic? If so, why? Just because you think the best should always be the goal (irregardless of cost) or because that's what Walt would have done? Or should they, as I've seen mentioned, not gone after this demographic at all?

This discussion can easily degenerate into the same old crap but it can also forge some new territory should folks truly want to have a nice discussion...It's up to you.

pirate:

Please Explain.........??
No "shot" intended.......
"This could be deep" ... Another shot? Ouch, I'm wounded.

Sorry if I misread your comment...It's so easy to do on the net and I'm not too familiar with your postings...And I generally elicit a lot of "shots" around hee. LOL!

Anyway, I hope I sufficiently explained my view. I'm certainly not saying, as Mr. Voice stated, that Pop IS the epitome of what "is" Disney...Only that many people are enamoured with this aspect of what "is Disney." Is that clear?

pirate:

Originally posted by Captain Crook
This discussion can easily degenerate into the same old crap but it can also forge some new territory should folks truly want to have a nice discussion...It's up to you.

pirate:

Translation: ....I only want to hear "Pop Century really is great you were Right it really is the best". If your not going to post that then don't bother. I've asked a loaded question that is impossible to answer based on the qualifications that I've posted along with it. So you either agree with me or your just a bash everything Disney does these days poster.

We were going to stay at Pop Century until we decided to purchase APs and then we switched over to POFQ. It looked like a really nice place, and the only complaint we've heard so far is that the pool gets loud at times. We definately took the reviews into account when deciding to stay here, because it seemed to be a lot nicer than the All Star resorts.

phoebesaturn, do you even know how to have a discussion?

I don't care if you don't like Pop, in fact I totally understand the negatives but as for this being a loaded question or statement...Hogwash! Tell me why you think any business could justify not serving this segment of the population? Tell me how the money could be better spent? Tell me why Walt wouldn't have done it. There are a multitude of manners in which to discuss, but no, you take a totally abrasive and confrontational manner to just dismiss what I've said. Why even bother posting?

Pop was badmouthed around here for a long time. It was said to be destined to failure. It showed no imagination, creativity or Disney spirit...Yet, now that its open the reviews seem to contradict these feelings. Do you have an opinion as to why or is it just easier to bash someone eles's attempt at honest discussion?

pirate:

My singular grip about Pop is the use of the "catch phrases" along the roof line of each building. Especially those on the 1980's and 1990's buildings.

Beyond that, I think they are great. Just like the All-stars, they are fun-filled, over the top themed family resorts that offer more people the chance to stay on-site.

My position has been the same on the value resorts since we first stayed there 6 years ago.

Yeah, and Walt never would have let anything like Pop be built, it couldnt possibly compare to inspired theming and wow factor of the great Disneyland Hotel! (What a lame excuse for a Disney resort that is.)

I agree Greg, the catch phrases are the worst aspect of the theming...But when you're in the Resort the feel is a bit different (but I don't know why) AND they help you get to your room after a long night at the Adventurer's Club!:teeth:

I can tell you the parking situation at Pop was abyssmal on both of our visits. This had me longing for the uninspired yet parkable spaces at AKL! Is All Stars parking miserable as well?

Mr. Show, you're right about The DL Hotel. We stayed there last year and compared to the Grand Californian (where we stayed the year prior) it just didn't cut it.

BTW, we're going to be at WDW over Mem Day but I'm thinking your absent a that time. Is that right?
pirate:

Originally posted by Captain Crook
phoebesaturn, do you even know how to have a discussion?

I don't care if you don't like Pop, in fact I totally understand the negatives but as for this being a loaded question or statement...Hogwash! Tell me why you think any business could justify not serving this segment of the population? Tell me how the money could be better spent? Tell me why Walt wouldn't have done it. There are a multitude of manners in which to discuss, but no, you take a totally abrasive and confrontational manner to just dismiss what I've said. Why even bother posting?

Pop was badmouthed around here for a long time. It was said to be destined to failure. It showed no imagination, creativity or Disney spirit...Yet, now that its open the reviews seem to contradict these feelings. Do you have an opinion as to why or is it just easier to bash someone eles's attempt at honest discussion?

pirate:

"Destined to Failure"....I never thought that was the buzz even among the car 3 and 4 people. In fact I thought it was agreeded that it would do just as well as the All-stars...only the place was 100 times more tacky.

I don't see an attempt at an honest discussion...I see a loaded question that you qualified and still are qualfiying so that any opinion that is thrown out can be easly dismissed.

You crowing and trying to announce Pop Century as the next great thing is at best premature. Of course it fits a segment of the population. The issue is and always will be...was that "segment" always there or has Disney forced people into that segment that 20 years ago was never needed because of better pricing and less gauging by the current team? I have no idea if Walt would have built it...to guess would only be guessing. The argument has been tossed around more then it needs to be because it never ...never proves anything...because he is Dead. Can the money be better spent elsewhere? Depends...how much money has Pop Century made them? How much money has ABC made Disney? How much Money has DCA made Disney? How much money has DLP made Disney? Until you know numbers then again you would be guessing and as far as you know Pop Century is nothing but another black hole of money. Has Pop Century increased the number of guest that attend Disney? Do they spend more money. Or are these people now dowgrading and staying at Pop Century when they would have stayed at FQ in the past? Fruther more to argure that Pop Century really is not "Disney" never meets with any agreement...it always boils down to the same two sides. The side that can see the Disney slide and those that can't and accept every new cut less then steller attraction and Pop Century like "addition" or subtraction in most cases as they way that business today is done.

Considering occupancy rates are up at all Disney resorts people are not "downgrading" to Pop, I think most likely it is getting people who used to stay off property.

In response, frankly Captain sir, I don't really care how much you like Pop Century. Your DISNEY® is not mine. You seek a brand experience, I seek imagination. I see plenty of brand stickers all over Pop Century to remind me where to spend my money, but I do not see a single drop if imagination, effort, talent, or craftsmanship in the place. Sure I'd like to save a buck, but I remember a time when I would want to stay at a new Disney resort instead of having to lower my expecations.

But I guess it's easier to enjoy the stickers if that's all one hopes for.

Enjoy your stay.

P.S. The Disneyland Hotel wasn't built by Walt (it remained outside of Disney's control until Eisner bought the Queen Mary). Then again, facts are difficult things to see when you're dazzled by the stickers, aren't they.

Voice,

Could you explain the association of Disneyland hotel to me in more detail. Everything I have read suggests a relationship between the resort and the hotel dating to 1955.

I won't even go into how unimaginative and boring the contemporary, the golf resort, ft wilderness, or even the Polynesian is. I am glad Walt (I think is was Walt) had the insight to insist that the monorail pass THRU the Contemporary, it is the only positive to the resort in my opionion.

What Show said!

Voice, you make it sound like I adore Pop...What's that all about? I stayed there once and liked it and stayed there again because the price was right. My 14 year old daughter thinks it fine but longed for AKL (another resort you disrespect). My 10 year old loved the whimsy of Pop...Me? I liked the price and found little to fault in the facility and found the CM's to be great. What's wrong with that Voice?

You, on the other hand, have your agenda and will not deviate...The proof is in the way you dismiss the AKL, a hotel that is spectacular in so many ways, yet all you can ever do is point how "it could have been better," but in truth, if my Aunt had balls she'd have been my Uncle.

So you disapprove of Pop. That's great and I even respect it, but what of those who do adore Pop? Do they count at all in your 'Disney world'? Or are they just the lowly uneducated? The terminally deluded by corporate mind games. Please inform us further...

pirate: :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter