• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POP or Royal Room at POR

akemom

Mouseketeer
Which would you choose? I am currently booked at POP in September for 4 nights, this trip is just my DD and I and we’ve always wanted to stay in one of the Royal Rooms! We are also celebrating a milestone birthday so I’m willing to spend a little extra. It’s $685 to upgrade. We’ve stayed at POP twice before and I find it very easy to navigate and I really like the bus area at the values. Since it’s just the 2 of us the room size is fine and they’ve just been refurbished. I’ve stayed at POR once 7 years ago and we were all the way in the back of Alligator Bayou, I always had a hard time finding my way back to my room! I really didn’t like the decor of those rooms at all and I wasn’t crazy about the bus situation with multiple stops. Overall it’s my least favorite resort. Do I give it another chance to try out the Royal Room? Are they really worth the extra $$?

I loved the royal room. They are in the magnolia bend side of the resort which has a less confusing layout. Our building was very close to the main building/bus stop. There is basically one path in front of the magnolia bend buildings and it leads to the bridge to cross the river.

We stayed in POR royal room pool view in April. The walk to the main area was very quick and easy. The theme was really cute and so Disney. I don’t know if it will be worth the money because I have not stayed at POP. The pool view room did guarantee us a close location to the bridge which were were looking for. Buses were just ok for me not bad not good just ok

I have stayed at POP over 35 times, 5-6 since renovated .... I have stayed in a Royal Room 2 times. Like them both. The Royal Room is special, lovely touches over the regular moderate rooms ... and I would stay again ............ but not for $170+ more per night (and if you have a car your parking will be higher too). With only 4 nights, and just the two of you .... you literally could book another value trip with the money you save OR book some special events or meals at the parks that will be much more memorable.

I’ve stayed at Pop and in a RR at POR and would stay in the RR over a room at Pop without a second thought.

$170 more PER NIGHT?? :lmao: No thanks. In that situation i'd just stick with Pop. Esp since they have refurbed rooms. Cant go wrong!

I have stayed at POP over 35 times, 5-6 since renovated .... I have stayed in a Royal Room 2 times. Like them both. The Royal Room is special, lovely touches over the regular moderate rooms ... and I would stay again ............ but not for $170+ more per night (and if you have a car your parking will be higher too). With only 4 nights, and just the two of you .... you literally could book another value trip with the money you save OR book some special events or meals at the parks that will be much more memorable.
You made a very good point! I think my 4 nights at POP cost around $600!

What else was it that you didn't like at POR? If it's your least favorite resort I'm assuming it was more than just the location you were in.

For 170.00 a night, I wouldn't make the change. That's a lot of money you can plan something else special for a milestone birthday ( like Lunch with an Imagineer or a dessert party for the fireworks )

We love POR, but at about twice the price, I would probably opt to stay at POP. But it really depends upon how easy the extra expense is and how much you would like to stay in a RR at POR. You won't have the same decor that you didn't like last time and the route to the RR is simple, but you will still have multiple bus stops.

It is a big jump in price per day, but it is a short trip. Also, with just the two of you, expenses will be low. SO this could be the time to just do it. I know that I often opt for a more expensive per night option when going for a short trip or with fewer people. The price for me is still doable, and I get the opportunity to experience a little more luxury than I can justify for a longer trip.

Sounds like I am making a bigger case to stay at POR RR. LOL!

Good luck choosing! I am sure that you and your DD will have a wonderful time at either resort!

By your post, I would recommend staying with POP. It seems to have a lot going for it that meets your likes.

You could use that money for other special extras instead of the Royal Room, like special meals, MNSSHP, special tours, etc...

Dan

What else was it that you didn't like at POR? If it's your least favorite resort I'm assuming it was more than just the location you were in.

For 170.00 a night, I wouldn't make the change. That's a lot of money you can plan something else special for a milestone birthday ( like Lunch with an Imagineer or a dessert party for the fireworks )
It is quite a bit more! The overall theme of the resort didn’t appeal to me, the size and layout seemed confusing but the mansions definitely seem to have a different feel and better location than Alligator Bayou and the Royal Rooms look amazing! I’ve stayed at POP, AoA, Poly & ASSports and POR was my least favorite.

We love POR, but at about twice the price, I would probably opt to stay at POP. But it really depends upon how easy the extra expense is and how much you would like to stay in a RR at POR. You won't have the same decor that you didn't like last time and the route to the RR is simple, but you will still have multiple bus stops.

It is a big jump in price per day, but it is a short trip. Also, with just the two of you, expenses will be low. SO this could be the time to just do it. I know that I often opt for a more expensive per night option when going for a short trip or with fewer people. The price for me is still doable, and I get the opportunity to experience a little more luxury than I can justify for a longer trip.

Sounds like I am making a bigger case to stay at POR RR. LOL!

Good luck choosing! I am sure that you and your DD will have a wonderful time at either resort!
It is a short trip and thats exactly why I was considering it! My DD is 6 so I think she would LOVE the room! (And so would I) Also, my teen boys would not appreciate the room at all so I wouldn’t waste the money to upgrade if they were with us. I’ve also tossed around the idea of 1-2 nights in a RR before or after a cruise. But that’s a year or 2 out.

You could also consider a split stay. You could spend the first nights at the Pop and then finish up at the Royal Room. At the age of 6 my daughter loved the POFQ pool. It really is a beautiful resort. The Royal Room is very cute, they read a proclamation to my daughter and gave it to her upon arrival - I don't know if they still do this but it was a very nice touch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter