• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Warner championship

616cv

Earning My Ears
I've got a trip to WDW booked for the first week of Dec. with 4 adults including my 70 year old + parents. We are staying at the Pop Century. After the trip was booked I found out the Pop Warner youth football/cheerleading/dance championship is being held that week at WDW. I read a tip that said to avoid the value resorts that week because that is where all the Pop Warner kids stay. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they tend to stay at the all star resorts? I've stayed at Pop Century before so I'm aware of the atmosphere and we're fine with that. I'm just wondering if I should start looking into a different resort.

I've got a trip to WDW booked for the first week of Dec. with 4 adults including my 70 year old + parents. We are staying at the Pop Century. After the trip was booked I found out the Pop Warner youth football/cheerleading/dance championship is being held that week at WDW. I read a tip that said to avoid the value resorts that week because that is where all the Pop Warner kids stay. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they tend to stay at the all star resorts? I've stayed at Pop Century before so I'm aware of the atmosphere and we're fine with that. I'm just wondering if I should start looking into a different resort.

Normally the Pop Warner package has a choice of All Star Sports and a Moderate. Every once in a while Pop is used as an overflow, but is rare. The room refurbishment will still be going on at Pop Century so I would be extremely surprised if any Pop Warner guests were put there.

One of our trips was that week in December a couple years ago. We stayed at CS. A couple days into our trip the hotel was overrun by teenagers. We were told that CS is "overflow" for the value resorts. I don't mind crowded areas, but I didn't like that the teens would come out from their competitions at 10-11 at night and then overtake all the common areas. I was cut off in line for food more than once by teens who felt their groups were the only ones staying at the resort. I like traveling that time of year, and we like CS, but we will definitely not choose CS (or a value) if we travel during the same time of Pop Warner again. It's not the worst experience we could have had, but we just prefer a little rude less teen traffic when we stay at WDW.

We have stayed at Pop during PW week and it was not a very good experience. I needed a handicap accessible room but was told there were none available and by the time we checked in (after I assume all the participants had), we were given room 7231 which is a good distance from Classic Hall. When I called to find out about another room the CM told me I should have booked a preferred room. Not a very good customer service experience either. It really had been a very long and tiring day so I decided to keep this room but whenever we went to the food court, the kids were all over the place and nobody was watching them. We have decided not to go at this time of year again even though it had been one of our favorites.

Thanks for your input everyone! I'm brand new to DIS boards, but I'm loving it so far. After reading your feedback and a real nightmare story on another pop warner thread I found we are switching to a deluxe resort. There were no moderates available. Not happy about the extra money, but I think the aggravation of dealing with this event would have ruined the trip. It's too bad they have to hold this event at this time of year since it is such a wonderful to be there. The kids would be happy to be at Disney anytime of the year.
Does anyone know about other events like this to look out for when picking a week at Disney? I'm starting to feel like I've just gotten lucky so far in a avoiding things like this.
Update-we have moved to BC. Not happy about the extra $, but it's definitely feeling like the right decision. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Last edited:

We will be at Pop early Dec. I have fingers crossed there are no Pop Warner groups staying there. o_O

Just tried to look at cost for a room the first week in December and there was nothing available at Pop, All Stars, or any moderate!

Just me..... RUN AWAY. Please, go to at least a "moderate" :(. You will chose to do what you chose to do.
"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong."

Just tried to look at cost for a room the first week in December and there was nothing available at Pop, All Stars, or any moderate!

That's because you can only book 499 days out. 499 days from today is December 1st. You'll have to wait a little longer.

Oh wait, December 2017 or 2018?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter