• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Popcorn

Hot air popper. No salt or butter, just plain. On occasion I'll put some seasoning from a fancy gourmet spice shop that DD bought for me as a gift.

Perhaps once a year for old times sake, I'll buy Jiffy Pop in the disposable skillet.

Whirley Pop on the stove, with the DIS recommended Paragon Coconut Oil and Flavicol salt. The popcorn I get is the purple corn from Amish Country Popcorn.

51416b8c4NL.jpg

We have the Presto Powerpop Microwave Popcorn Popper. Check it out on Amazon. That thing is AMAZING. You put 1/3 cup of kernels in, close the lid, and microwave for 2:15 (at least in my microwave). It is awesome! We use it multiple times a week.

We used to have an air popper but ours caught on fire. Thank goodness I was standing right there and doused it!

A bunch of years ago now DH & DS accidentally incinerated a bag of microwave popcorn. The small was so horrific we threw out the microwave. :scared: I haven't brought microwave popcorn into the house since; it gets made at my office every once in a while and the smell still turns my stomach.

Popcorn is exclusively a movie theatre treat for me. DH buys pre-made and is on a Chicago Blend jag right now. We call it "crack corn" because it's so addictive. ;)

If DH is around I will have him make it on the stove top in a big pot-I can't because I forgot about it and nearly singed my eyebrows from the fire...

If he isn't home, I do the Pinterest method->brown paper bag, put a tablespoon-ish of kernels on the bag, fold it, and put in the microwave and listen for it to stop popping.

With a cousin as a popcorn farmer, we go through a lot of popcorn. As in we buy 50lb bags at a time. I have a dedicated Wearever pan for popping. My dad gave it to us over 25 years ago. Like good cast iron cookwear, it is well seasoned and does NOT ever see soap and water. The pan is cleaned out after each use with paper towel. Anybody who is ever had popcorn at our place wants my pan. We have friends with a popper like the movie theaters but their kids will still request popcorn at our place.

I normally use just oil in the pan, but every once in awhile I use the Orville Redenbacher oil. We use popcorn salt to season, never table salt. We don't care much for the flavored salts, either. Once in awhile we do add butter to the popcorn. We also prefer white corn over yellow. Yellow just seems to pop with too many of the hull flakes that like to stick in between the teeth.

With family that grows popcorn as their crops, I grew up have popcorn as our nightly snack. It was no big deal for us to have popcorn every night and twice on Saturdays and Sundays as snacks. When we went to my grandparents, we sometimes got popcorn that was popped using lard instead of oil. Gave it a very different flavor. Haven't had it in years that way though. Not sure my adult taste buds would like it was well as my kid taste buds did.

We use a whirly pop, coconut oil and trader Joe's kernels for regular popcorn. I always buy my ds the Great Northern 4 oz packs for Christmas and he won"t share those!
they are very good but messy for the Whirly pop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter