Popeye's chicken sandwich, what the deal?

I hate the texture of Popeye's chicken fingers but I want to try the chicken sandwich. Hopefully the texture is better.

The meat is just Popeye's boneless chicken with the kind of batter found in their regular fried chicken and/or tenders. Like KFC they use a pressure fryer. Then they have their own sauce. The bread is probably where it shines. It's a brioche bun that's grilled on the inside surface. I haven't had any kind of fast food sandwich with that kind of bread other than maybe some places that used King's Hawaiian buns.

Certainly a fast food burger can be good, but not mind blowing. If I'm spending upwards of $10 on a burger, fries, and a beverage, I'd rather spend $10 on a sit down restaurant burger. Chili's 3 for $10 special is a better deal than any fast food place.
I mentioned and they responded to my stating Five Guys Burgers. That is not fast food. Garbage over-seasoned, tasteless beef, frozen, who knows what it's made out of, and dry Chili's burger is much closer to fast food than Five Guys burgers are.

I had my first Popeye’s chicken sandwich this afternoon. I didn’t even have to kill anyone or ram my car into the drive-through. I split a classic and a spicy sandwich with my son. I thought they were good. Both were nice, thick pieces of chicken, nicely breaded. It could have used a bit more seasoning when cooked—the chicken was juicy but somewhat bland. The classic had way too much mayonnaise. I would get it plain next time. The spicy sauce was good. Overall, good sandwiches for $3.99!

As others have noted, Popeye’s restaurants vary quite a bit. We had two near us. The one closest to our house closed, and unfortunately it was the much better of the two. The other one—the one I went to today—is pretty nasty. It had a slimy floor, an unstocked drink and napkin area, trash not picked up, and slow, apathetic servers. I actually did feel sorry for the servers though. This hype has certainly made their work more difficult. I’m glad I tried the sandwich, but I probably won’t return anytime soon.

Last edited:
One thing about this time is that they're specifically making the Popeye's chicken sandwich a permanent menu item.

Drove by Popeyes today but they had a sign saying they were out of sandwiches. I really wanted to try one.

My husband brought this home last night. YUCK!!! I don’t get it st all. The sauce was awful. I scraped as much as I could off and added Mardi Gras mustard, I could eat that stuff with a spoon!

Homecoming’s chicken sandwich is so much better...absolutely no comparison you must try one when in DS!!!

I've been to our Popeye's twice (about a year apart). Both times it took half an hour to get chicken strips. There was no one there, no crowds, no lines, several people working, dinner time on a Thursday night. If this is how long it takes when there's no hype, there's no way I'm going when they have something popular. That is not "fast" food.

I had the Popeyes sandwich when it first came out a month ago, and it was really good. It has a nice crispy-crunch to it. I love pickles and Chick fil A brines their chicken in pickle juice so I do prefer CFA’s sandwich for the pickles aftertaste. But the Popeyes sandwich is on par with CFA and I would definitely get it again.

However, the Popeyes near me is nasty with no quality control and the food is affected by it. The sandwich I got had a massive amount of mayo, I had to wipe it off with a knife. No one wants to eat a straight mouthful of mayo. So I will also be sticking to CFA for that reason.

It’s cheap fast food that’s better than the alternatives at the same price point.
<——— exactly. I don’t think I would ever drive out of my way for it but CFA is tasty for what it is. Not worth driving 35 miles and if you have the time/$ for better quality food, go for it. But if I have to eat drive-thru, it’s CFA all day.

Also (not to derail this because it’s supposed to be about the Popeyes sandwich) but CFA has seasonal peppermint milkshakes coming out soon and they’re the BEST!!!

All the Popeye's around here are nasty and the service is super slow. I tried the sandwich and it was just ok. I would much rather have CFA. For the poster earlier that talked about the Ohio location, I have found that it seems the locations in the south just do it better. You want to see efficiency, watch CFA run a drive thru. 30 cars will move through that in like 10 mins. No other fast food place comes close.

We got a Popeyes here about a year ago? There were big line ups when they first opened but I imagine you wouldn’t be waiting now..especially with temperatures dropping. We’re thinking about using a delivery app to try it out sometime soon.

I love Chick-fil-A’s shakes. They had a peach 🍑 one this summer that was fabulous! I’m anxious to try the peppermint for Christmas!
Yes! Their shakes are so good! I made sure to get the peach one several months ago, so refreshing and full of fruit. I love the peppermint one too, always have to get one a few times during the holiday season. We have a tradition of eating dinner there before looking at holiday lights.

I had the opportunity to get takeout last night and my son normally wants Whataburger, but I asked if he wanted Popeyes, because I wanted to try this sandwich, luckily he did. I got it. I can positively say that it was bigger than a Chick-Fil-A sandwich, but it was nowhere as good, IMHO.

Had the Popeyes sandwich for lunch today. Wasn't bad prefer CFA. Not a big burger eater especially fast food ones prefer chicken. I mean I cannot see why people would wait on lines but wasnt bad.

We got a Popeyes here about a year ago? There were big line ups when they first opened but I imagine you wouldn’t be waiting now..especially with temperatures dropping. We’re thinking about using a delivery app to try it out sometime soon.
Canadian Popeye’s has a different menu than the American ones. There are a number of chicken sandwiches on it but alas, not this new one that everyone is fussing about. I’m not a chicken sandwich person** so I’ve never tried any of them but their regular chicken is just OK - not as good as KFC IMO and their gravy sucks. They do have buttermilk fried shrimp though, and that’s pretty good.

** For this reason I would never be a frequent visitor to Chik-Fil-A. They don’t serve fried chicken, just sandwiches and nuggets and salads basically.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter