• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POR ~ Surprise Royal Room Upgrade

You make very valid points, thank you for the info!

Wow, could you PM me the story about that downgrading? I've never heard of that before. I've always been upgraded at CBR (usually just one view above what was booked), and Disney downgrading? I'm flabbergasted lol Please, would you mind mailing me?

Again, thanks for the stats ^_^

Oh I don't mind posting it, I have before.

Our first stay and I wanted a water view since it looked so pretty. I paid FULL RACK RATE (my one and only time) for water view. We checked in at the Custom House (which I hate) and of course didn't know about where we were going. We ended up in a standard room looking out just feet from a parking lot. They absolutely didn't want to move us and it didn't even matter we paid full price for a water view room. After an hour they realized we were not going to stay in the room they gave us and they gave us a water view ............ in what is now the Pirates Rooms so I guess they had the last laugh. The walk back and forth to main hub was such a pain by the last day we got in the car and drove to POR to eat at their food court.

I couldn't believe they wanted to downgrade us and weren't even planning to reimburse us the difference.

I always suggest once you have booked you get a map, you make sure you know where all the categories are located. When you check in you make sure you were given what you are paying for and happy, if not work with them to come to a resolution. It's easier to get it fixed right then and there.

Wow, that's amazing, I had no idea :o
I have looked at the garden view rooms, briefly at POR but perhaps I'll print out the cheat sheets for room categories by room.

Thanks a bunch!

Now please, if anyone has been pixie dusted to a Royal Room, please include your date and original category booked :)
March 2014 we were upgraded to a RR from a standard. Were there to celebrate my son's 16th birthday.

I'm sure these stats are interesting to others as well :)

These are not stats. These stories are just that, anecdotes of upgrades that are few and far between

Yes. I only wanted stats.

I know you asked for @HopperFan experience, but that is our stories.
As Nancyg56 pointed out, you're not getting stat[istic]s. You're getting individual experiences. Statistics: there are six upgrade-to-RR experiences in this thread. There are four general downgrade experiences, and I'm aware of two more, but I'll leave it to that poster to identify. So, six and six.

Room upgrades are generally not for pixie dust. Upgrades are generally for operational purposes. So are downgrades.

We were there in February 2015 and were upgraded from a standard to royal room. I think what may have contributed to it was that we had 10 days booked in a standard room and 2 additional days outside of our package booked in a royal room to start. So when we asked about checking out of the royal room and into the standard room the manager said we could stay in the royal room for our entire length and didn't have to move at all. That made everyone happy including our kids as they played with the fireworks over the beds nearly every day!

Wow, could you PM me the story about that downgrading? I've never heard of that before. I've always been upgraded at CBR (usually just one view above what was booked), and Disney downgrading? I'm flabbergasted lol Please, would you mind mailing me?

Add us to a list of downgraded guests.
Booked King Business Class room at CSR
Arrived to a King Standard room
I should have known something was up when I got a text to go to the front desk instead of our room number
Chicken youknowwhat CM at the front desk didn't even alert us, despite there being a note in our account. Found out later that he was supposed to inform us at check in
He gave us our room, having never stayed at CSR we didn't know at that time
We walked over there and it became clear that we were not in the Business Class building.
One of the things we liked about the building for Business Class is we didn't have to worry about a parking lot view, there are none from that building.
Wouldn't you know, not only did we not get the Business Class, we got a parking lot view.
We had to shelp all the way back to the lobby to find out that they were not able to provide a room we booked and they put us in the one they did as it was close.
After I inquired they informed us we were still given access to the Business Class lounge. Thing is, we didn't even know where the Business Class lounge was
All of it left a horrible taste in my mouth and DH saw how very disappointed I was. We were due to stay there 2 nights and then move to Poly for 2 nights. He said, lets move on to Poly a night early.
Which we did. And we'll never try CSR again.
I get not being able to provide the room booked, but don't just leave the guest to figure it out on their own.

We have the RR reserved but not with a good view. Should that be a request on our check in form? I do not imagine we will spend a lot of time in the room aside from sleeping? is that crazy? Also I dont think you can see fireworks from this hotel correct?

We have the RR reserved but not with a good view. Should that be a request on our check in form? I do not imagine we will spend a lot of time in the room aside from sleeping? is that crazy? Also I dont think you can see fireworks from this hotel correct?
No, you won't see fireworks from POR.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'not with a good view'. You book, and pay, for a particular booking category. I truly don't think views matter that much in moderate resorts. The two times I booked, and paid for, a river view at POR, I was less than thrilled. The first time you had to leave the room and hang over the railing in order to catch a glimpse of the river! Second time it was a RR river view, but at least I knew what I was going to get! I wanted a room in the front of the building so it wasn't as long a walk! Yes, it was a river view. And yes, it was more expensive. And no, I didn't have a stellar view! But I didn't care. I seldom opened the drapes!

I was upgraded from a RR to Poly TPV :) We booked the RR when they first opened up but they weren't ready when we arrived so off to Poly TPV we went and that was AMAZING!!!!!!!

In 2016 we checked into Yacht club for a standard room and we were upgraded to the Admiral's Suite. Upon check in the lady said "It's your lucky day."
I have had Pixie Dust 2 times!!

From my previous experience in the lodging industry, upgrades tend to happen with shorter stays.

As suggested above, it's worth printing out the maps that show what room categories are where, and know what you are getting before leaving the desk area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter