• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POR wheelchair

lulu2

DIS Veteran
Staying at P.O. Riverside later this week. A family member went to DR today for back issues. Long story short, she can do some walking but I’m concerned that some will be too taxing. Thinking of renting wheelchair from outside business but she does not want to, just wants to use in the parks. Can we rent a wheelchair at POR?

No. Back in the day they used to have wheelchairs you could use but that hasn't been around in years. I'd rent one from an outside company just to have on hand. My MIL has a bad back and she was adamant she didn't need a w/c when she went with us one trip. However, she was so slow, it took forever to get anywhere!! We rented one to take with and lo and behold, she used it all the time. We told her we could hang our backpack on the back and put more bottles of water in, she basically could be our "sherpa" and she was thrilled to be helping out 😁 But in reality, she really did need it and whether she wanted to admit it or not, she was a TON more comfortable than walking all those miles everyday. And if she wanted to walk, someone was more than happy to to push the empty chair.

The benefit of booking through an outside company, even if you don't plan to use it at the resort, is that you are guaranteed to have one if Disney runs out of them in the parks. Most rental companies are cheaper per day than Disney is too.

And I'd highly recommend a scooter. Some people are embarrassed to use them, but don't be. They are literally all over the place at Disney. My husband used one on our last trip due to some foot issues he was having and it was so convenient. I'm also very thankful I didn't have to push him anywhere. 😂

Rent a scooter for her. Pushing someone in a wheelchair is a good way to get tired and sore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter