• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Adventures in Alaska... are they totally necessary?

Hey, we're on this cruise also !!! This is our second time to Alaska. Icy Straights Point is a "Disney" port operating only during the cruise season. It's the first port for our cruise. Everyone has been giving you great ideas for the stops. We don't do anything wild or crazy and usually go for the historical excursions or the "Bake Salmon" trips. Juneau is the only port that really thrives on the whale watching, flights, etc. Juneau is a government town so tourism is a second (maybe last) priority. When we last sailed into and out of the port, they didn't allow the ship to play the horn.

ISP is a cruise-ship port. Not just DCL. Multiple lines go there. I had the misfortune of having to go there on RCCL. Most boring and obviously constructed just for ships port I've been to. (And I've been to Amber Cove also which is HORRIDLY obviously built just for ships.)

No fireworks up there either...the bears voted against them. Years ago we visited, non cruise, Fairbanks, Gustavus (smaller boats to see Glacier Bay), Denali, Anchorage, North Pole, Homer and Seward. To really get a feel for how vast and beautiful this state is you should try to see more of it than these mostly touristy ports. Maybe DCL will expand their cruises up there someday to include some of these towns/crossroads. Also, a bit later this month, the R2AK (Race to Alaska) takes place. It starts in Port Townsend, WA with a shakedown sailing 40 miles to Victoria, BC. The next leg is 710 miles to Ketchikan, AK. The boats, etc. are wind and/or human power (no motors), unsupported and includes ships/boats/kayaks of all kinds. Last year three paddleboarders even entered. I believe two finished. The first leg starts June 14 and the second June 17. First arrivals in Ketchikan will be in 4-5 days. The rest might drag out for almost two weeks. The finish line is just a stones throw from where the Wonder docks. Our DCL Alaska cruise was during this time and we did not see anyone finish, it is a long shot...some arrive at night However, it might happen if you are in port during that time frame. They ring a bell at the finish. Google "R2AK" to find out all the details. It is about as weird/whacky/challenging as the gold rush must have been up there many years ago. First prize is $10,000 nailed to a tree near the finish...second, a set of steak knives. I told you is was a bit crazy. Just something to think about when in Ketchikan later this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter