Port Adventures Reviews?

ZephyrJG

Earning My Ears
Is there a resource for finding reviews of Port Adventures?

We will be going on the 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise (February 1, 2020) with stops at Cozumel Mexico, Georgetown Grand Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica, and Castaway Cay.

Our party is very interested in the stingray encounters and dolphin encounters, but there are so many to choose from, its hard to know if one is better than the others. (This applies to ALL of the port adventures, not just the sting ray/dolphin ones)

Is there a way to narrow this down at all? Or has anyone had any experience with any of the Port Adventures at these Ports?

Thanks! :)

I like to look in trip advisor for things to do in an area, or specifically for an excursion I'm interested in. This board is also a good resource, especially since the ports you mentioned are popular. You'll have a lot of people to tell you to stay on the boat at some of the ports you're stopping at. My family likes to to do something in every port. The stingray encounters in Grand Cayman vs. Castaway Cay are very different experiences, I would watch youtube videos of both to see which one you think is a better fit for your family.

I'm on this exact same itinerary but we sail on Sept 14, 2019!

We are thinking beach day for Cozumel, the Shipwreck/Reef Snorkeling for Grand Cayman and Dunn's River Falls for Falmouth. The price point for these excursions is not terrible and not too active as we will have our 7 (almost 8) year old with us. Not sure age range for your group. Although i hear the Falls in Falmouth is Active, but everyone says you have to do/see it!

Ill let you know how everything went when we get back (and what we officially book!)

I find that Carnival has good reviews of shore excursions, many of which are the exact ones DCL offers. Of course it's not the same, but it's a good way to tell if you will like the activity itself, at least. https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions

Excursions are not always exclusive. I've noticed that many cruise lines were mixed during excursions we've done so you might end up in the same bus/same group as guests sailing Carnival, Royal, Celebrity, etc.

While researching what we wanted to do for the Western Caribbean Cruise, I found the descriptions that interested our family the most from the port adventures page and then went to YouTube to look up video clips (Carnival actually had the most helpful clips of just the excursions). That helped us decide if we wanted to sign up for that excursion.

Based on what we wanted to do, it narrowed it down for us that dolphins would be on Grand Cayman day, along with the stingray excursion. DH and I had been to Stingray City before pre-kids, so we knew we wanted to take the kids there so they could experience it.

I've pasted in what we did at each port below (we were just on the 7-day Western in early April). My boys (9 & 12) really enjoyed all 3 excursions we booked, except if I could do it again, I would book the dolphins & Stingray City outside of DCL.

In Cozumel, we did the Amazing Secret River (Rio Secreto). Because the caves are in Playa Del Carmen, there's a 30 minute ferry ride each way, and we made it back to the ship with 5 minutes to spare before boarding time. We got about 30 minutes free time in Playa Del Carmen after the caves and before the ferry ride back if you want to shop, but everyone in our group headed for the beach. The caves are amazing - there's 5 different routes, and it's a 90 minute guided tour in the underground caves. The route varies between walking on rocky terrain to wading in water that's ankle deep to 10ft deep and you need to float/swim through. We were accompanied by a guide as well as a photographer, as you're not allowed to bring any phones/cameras/etc. The USB package with all photos is $99. Our boys (9 and 12) deemed this their favorite excursion. Lunch is included.

In Grand Cayman we did the dolphin swim and Stingray City. Stingray City was crowded, and having been there before with a private vendor, I feel that if we were to go again, I would not book this excursion through Disney. There were too many people in our group for the stingrays and every family got one interaction with the stingray (more of a photo op that they try to upsell you - you hold the ray, kiss the ray, and then the guide moves on to the next family). We did not buy the stingray pictures. The dolphin experience is a lot better. We had a group of 9, so it was a manageable group. Pictures for the dolphins are $60 per person. Lunch was not included in this excursion, but there's a food stand at the dolphin place.

In Jamaica, we did the bobsledding and Dunn's River Falls. Dunn's River Falls is so fun - my boys had this as their second favorite activity. Our bus did the bobsledding first, lunch was provided at Mystic Mountain, and then we were taken to Dunn's River Falls. The climb up the waterfall was amazing, with a lot of different stops to slide down a small rock slide, or be completely submerged behind a small waterfall. There was a guide to help move the group along and a videographer that filmed clips as well as took still shots of the family. The DVD that they sell you at the end is $40 with all the video clips and stills. The quality is poor - fuzzy pictures, but we were glad we got the family pictures.

Cruise Critics does it.

Kind of. They have threads for ports, but most of those are private excursions.

I think what the OP wishes DCL had is what some other lines (NCL does I know...RCCL has in the past) have which is a link for reviews on the description page for each excursion where cruisers who took that excursion provide a review. No guessing if you are looking at the right thing on Trip Advisor or another line’s site and no dealing with thinly veiled shilling on Cruise Critic.

All the other cruise lines allow reviews of the excursions on their websites. I don't know why DCL doesn't do this. It would help greatly in researching and choosing excursions.

All the other cruise lines allow reviews of the excursions on their websites. I don't know why DCL doesn't do this. It would help greatly in researching and choosing excursions.

I agree with you that it would be nice if DCL did it (you can write to DCL to suggest it) ... But until they do you can always read the reviews on the other cruise lines website. Those are also valid.

Kind of. They have threads for ports, but most of those are private excursions.

I think what the OP wishes DCL had is what some other lines (NCL does I know...RCCL has in the past) have which is a link for reviews on the description page for each excursion where cruisers who took that excursion provide a review. No guessing if you are looking at the right thing on Trip Advisor or another line’s site and no dealing with thinly veiled shilling on Cruise Critic.

They also have an excursions subsection on their main reviews, separate from the forums.

They also have an excursions subsection on their main reviews, separate from the forums.

Right, but that is about like looking at Trip Advisor as some will review whatever excursion they did, even if not ship-based. And sometimes use a generic thing like “Turtle Snorkel” for St Thomas where there are at least 3 possibilities that could be from Celebrity’s offerings.

We just did this itinerary in April. This is what we did and our thoughts:

Cozumel - Fury Catamaran and Beach Party- the snorkeling was not the best- not many fish no coral, not a great location, we snorkeled for about 30 minutes. Then we went to their private beach - there were inflatables in the ocean, paddle boarding, kayaking. It was quite fun! Beer and margaritas were including and the crew was fantastic. It was around $60 per person.

Grand Caymen- we did not book an excursion as my MIL was nervous about tendering (she did just fine btw)so we went ashore, took local bus to the Turtle Education Center. It was a fabulous day and experience. In total it cost is $120 for 5 people.

Falmouth- did the Bobsled and Dunns River Falls- our tour had issues- we did the bobsled first and the line was over an hour wait, Our guide insisted we eat "lunch" at the start of the day, we had jerk chicken at 9:30am. The bobsled ride was fine. The falls on the other hand was amazing and I think that it was the best part of the stop in Jamaica and perhaps the highlight of the cruise for the 3 of us that did it, Our guide was the issue- she even told us how much she got paid and then reminded us of it throughout the day to encourage us to tip her enough.

During this Snorkeling with turtles Waikiki tour, you also have an opportunity to see corals up-close. While corals might initially appear to just be colourful-looking sea stones, they are in fact, sea creatures themselves. On snorkeling with turtles Waikiki tour where you snorkel with turtles in Hawaii, you have a chance to spot and swim with green sea turtles which are found in seas around the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter