Port Arrival Time

PAT time is the time that you should be allowed to go into the terminal. Once in the terminal you will be called by your boarding group starting with 1 etc. This used to start around 12:00 pm. I can't remember if on our last cruise out of Port Canaveral if they started calling boarding groups before 12. When they are calling boarding groups it moves very quickly so I wouldn't worry if you get a higher boarding group. On the last cruise we had a PAT time of 11:30 and boarding group of 8. We got to the port a little early, parked the car and waited in line until our PAT time was called to go into the terminal. we than waited until boarding group 8 was called which was some time after 12:00. We were still called to board before open boarding.

I found a thread where someone on my sailing got group 2 and their time was 11:15. Would that mean group 1 is at 11?? if so, then open boarding...."could" be around 12:30?
It's not a 1:1 correlation from BG (boarding group) to PAT. There's usually a few BGs in each PAT. So, if someone in group 2 had an 11:15 PAT, then 11:15 is probably the first PAT.

Also, while there usually is a correlation between the first PAT and when boarding starts and when open boarding starts), it's not an exact science. If you have an early PAT, you will arrive and get through security before they start boarding the ship, so you'll have a wait in the terminal. With later PATs, you will likely have a shorter wait since they will have already started boarding, so by the time you get into the terminal they're close to calling your BG. BUT, when the ship is ready to board is also depending on several factors, and things can get delayed.

In your situation, it's possible open boarding could be around 12:30, though that honestly sounds a bit early. There's honestly no guaranteed way of knowing until the day of and you're there. PATs and BGs are a form of crowd control, so once the crowds die down they allow open boarding.

Also, keep checking your online check-in, as earlier PATs sometimes open up and you can switch.

It's not a 1:1 correlation from BG (boarding group) to PAT. There's usually a few BGs in each PAT. So, if someone in group 2 had an 11:15 PAT, then 11:15 is probably the first PAT.

Also, while there usually is a correlation between the first PAT and when boarding starts and when open boarding starts), it's not an exact science. If you have an early PAT, you will arrive and get through security before they start boarding the ship, so you'll have a wait in the terminal. With later PATs, you will likely have a shorter wait since they will have already started boarding, so by the time you get into the terminal they're close to calling your BG. BUT, when the ship is ready to board is also depending on several factors, and things can get delayed.

In your situation, it's possible open boarding could be around 12:30, though that honestly sounds a bit early. There's honestly no guaranteed way of knowing until the day of and you're there. PATs and BGs are a form of crowd control, so once the crowds die down they allow open boarding.

Also, keep checking your online check-in, as earlier PATs sometimes open up and you can switch.
I had no clue earlier times could come available! Need to start stalking that as well. lol

Can my family come in with me in my PAT if it’s earlier than theirs? They booked last minute but are linked to us through Disney.

Can my family come in with me in my PAT if it’s earlier than theirs? They booked last minute but are linked to us through Disney.
Usually no, You will be asked to wait until their time arrives. However as with all things Disney... it depends on who is checking times at the queue.

Usually no, You will be asked to wait until their time arrives. However as with all things Disney... it depends on who is checking times at the queue.
Same for Boarding Groups. We had 2 rooms and just due to time when checking in, the adult room had BG2 & kids room had BG6. We had to wait until BG6 at PC

Port Canaveral so I'm anticipating them to be super strict. We will arrive close to our arrival time knowing that we may have to wait and will cross our fingers that they have already started Open Boarding by then.
We have had that boarding time at PC and got in at 1:15 as it was already general boarding.

Adding to the original question because I've heard that there is a time in the day where they let you in regardless of the time you have.....We got a late BG because we booked really close in. Our time is at 1:45-2. With it being THAT late in the day is it likely to get on the ship earlier? Trying to figure out what time to leave for the port (we live in South Florida and need to drive to Port Canaveral).
Yes, this is true when sailing out of Port Canaveral. After around 12:30 (when it becomes open boarding and the masses of eager beaver early arrivers are out of the way), it's pretty easy to get into the cruise terminal and on the ship, regardless of your PAT. Just don't try it at 11. The general rule is, the later your PAT is, the less the PAT matters in terms of your exact arrival time.

We sailed out of San Juan last year, and their afternoon port arrival times were more enforced, but that is a totally different place than PC.

Last edited:
Yes, this is true when sailing out of Port Canaveral. After around 12:30 (when it becomes open boarding and the masses of eager beaver early arrivers are out of the way), it's pretty easy to get into the cruise terminal and on the ship, regardless of your PAT. Just don't try it at 11. The general rule is, the later your PAT is, the less the PAT matters in terms of your exact arrival time.

We sailed out of San Juan last year, and their afternoon port arrival times were more enforced, but that is a totally different place than PC.

San Juan is a total mess. We did the 8-night cruise last year, the first sailing following the Magic’s dry dock. Our PAT was 1PM (the earliest option available, and we checked in as soon as the window opened). Normally we would adhere, but we skipped our hotel the night before after our flight was habitually delayed and arrived around 4am. So after killing some time at the airport, we arrived at the port at 9am and were finally called to board the ship… at 2:30pm. Biggest delay appears to be an endless stream of busses obviously getting priority to board.

Mind you there’s no air conditioned waiting room so you must stand in the heat outside, with no vending.

San Juan is a total mess. We did the 8-night cruise last year, the first sailing following the Magic’s dry dock. Our PAT was 1PM (the earliest option available, and we checked in as soon as the window opened). Normally we would adhere, but we skipped our hotel the night before after our flight was habitually delayed and arrived around 4am. So after killing some time at the airport, we arrived at the port at 9am and were finally called to board the ship… at 2:30pm. Biggest delay appears to be an endless stream of busses obviously getting priority to board.

Mind you there’s no air conditioned waiting room so you must stand in the heat outside, with no vending.
I'm glad I got to visit San Juan once. It's a beautiful and special place. But I don't particularly want to sail out of there again.

I'm glad I got to visit San Juan once. It's a beautiful and special place. But I don't particularly want to sail out of there again.
So, another bounce-off question - can I assume that those taking Disney transport in San Juan also get earliest PATs like at PC? We currently don’t have transfers booked, but might consider it for our May repositioning cruise if San Juan is kind of a mess for boarding.

So, another bounce-off question - can I assume that those taking Disney transport in San Juan also get earliest PATs like at PC? We currently don’t have transfers booked, but might consider it for our May repositioning cruise if San Juan is kind of a mess for boarding.
Last May (repo cruise to Miami) we did not have Disney transport and had 11:00-11:15 am PAT with Boarding Group 3 (we were silver at the time). Unfortunately, there was a Coast Guard inspection that resulted in a 30-min wait outside the building before entering.

Or consider getting a late PAT, do some sightseeing or have lunch in SJ, then arrive with minimal line and walk onboard. Wish we had done that. We did get in swimming in a lovely hotel pool before heading to the port.

Or consider getting a late PAT, do some sightseeing or have lunch in SJ, then arrive with minimal line and walk onboard. Wish we had done that. We did get in swimming in a lovely hotel pool before heading to the port.
I like the thought, but we’ll have been in SJ sightseeing for 3 days and I know we’ll want to start enjoying the ship (patience is not my strong suit 😂)
Last May (repo cruise to Miami) we did not have Disney transport and had 11:00-11:15 am PAT with Boarding Group 3 (we were silver at the time). Unfortunately, there was a Coast Guard inspection that resulted in a 30-min wait outside the building before entering.
Bummer on the inspection, but that still doesn’t sound too bad! I’ll hope for your kind of luck with snagging an earlier boarding time 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter