Port or Starboard?

AllSam

Earning My Ears
Looking to book a balcony of Symphony of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise going to Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya. I don't think we want aft because it seems like it is very busy on the sports decks but what about Port or Starboard? We always booked the side where you could see the fireworks on Disney but I don't think there is anything like that on Royal. Does the side really matter? Thanks

Typically the side of the ship doesn't matter. You're correct that there aren't any fireworks on Royal.

We like to check what is on the deck above us when selecting a cabin. Being below a sports or pool deck is not as good as being below a deck with other cabins.

USUALLY (not guaranteed), the starboard side will be dock side. So, if you want to watch the activity happening on the dock (including possible pier runners), go starboard. However, just know the ship will occasionally dock port side for various reasons.

We always choose the side that Docks.. and I just love looking out that balcony and watching Land pop up out of seemingly, nowhere..lol
Enjoy. We always choose mid ship and typically starboard( by looking at the itinerary)

Thanks for the replies. We do like watching the dock activity - how do you find out which way the ship docks?

Thanks for the replies. We do like watching the dock activity - how do you find out which way the ship docks?
When we have been to CoCo Cay the ship has always backed in with the Starboard side to the pier. However we have not been there with another ship already docked there. That would dictate that if backing in they would dock Port side. The new CoCo Cay pier is capable of docking two RCCL ships but currently they are trying to only have one ship at the island at a time because of the social distancing. It all depends on the particular port. Like at Disney's Island if they want the ship pointed out to sea then they have to dock with port side. I have been on Ships in Mexico that docked Port side. Also in Aruba.

I don't think there's any way to find out ahead of time. As PP said, whether there is another ship in port could make a difference as could if they want to do some "boat drills" with the crew. More often than not, it will be starboard side toward the pier, but that's not definitive.

Worst case scenario, if you want to watch pier activity and your cabin isn't on the correct side, go to one of the weather decks.

Went ahead and booked starboard and we'll see how it winds up! Thanks for the help

Went ahead and booked starboard and we'll see how it winds up! Thanks for the help
Hope you have a great trip either way. :-) Also don't overlook the inside balconies. We LOVE Central Park balconies on the Oasis Class and usually book one of those! If you like people watching on the dock you might love watching everyone strolling in AWE in Central Park. The birds are live as are the plants, but they pipe in cricket sounds in the evening, Just a real special ambiance.

Last edited:

Been on 9 or 10 cruises and every time but 1 booked Starboard. To date we have been luckily as it is generally that side that docks.
Good Luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter